Computer Newbies forum

Question

Animation student needs a high-powered laptop for college

by blackestnite / July 1, 2013 4:28 PM PDT

Hello, I am a student about to enter my first year of college, and I need a laptop for 3D modeling as well as animation and video game creation. My university requires a laptop with:

- Intel® Core i7 Processor
-Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
-Minimum 15" screen
-Over 6gb of RAM
-Minimum 2gb Video Memory (dedicated)
-Minimum 512GB - 5400 rpm hard drive
-802.11 b/g compatible

I will be using programs like Autodesk MudBox and Maya as well as Unity3D. I want as much speed and power as possible for a $1000-1500 budget. I'd like to have upgrades beyond the minimum specs, but I am not
entirely sure what is a good value or what is absolutely necessary to upgrade.
Also, this laptop has to last at least two years because of my financial
situation.

I've looked at the Origin EON15-S Pro, but the price is a little high for my current income. I've also looked at the StealthMachine 2300 series, but no one I know has ever heard of that company. I also can not find any reviews of their laptops online. Has anyone owned one of these models? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Animation student needs a high-powered laptop for college
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Animation student needs a high-powered laptop for college
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Decide
by Willy / July 2, 2013 12:27 AM PDT

They gave you the specs, now you compare with what's offered out there and at what price. There, I solved your problem what was so difficult about that. Sorry, you want track records of this or that, then check the BBB to see what they have to say of any consumer forum what they post.

IMHO, your best bet is to google using the keywords, "laptop workstation" and/or CAD use then find out what fits your needs. I strongly urge you to see if they can offer all of it in one setup. But, you can probably reduce the ram and add to it later if the cost is too high, in other words reduce the options maybe don't take the s/w bundle or custom build, etc. in order to make an affordable. as always, you want this to last so don't skip on too much as long as you can add to it. You're going to college then start using your grey matter now and make an adult decision that will effect your happy outcome.

IMHO, $1000-1500 is just the entry point to a decent laptop that actually works for a living, not some play toy. Seriously think, "work" and not play that fits your needs. Also, don't forget the use of a laptop cooler and any insurance to include "theft". Yeah, it matters or may become known to you, so take care in selection and later upkeep. NEVER loan your laptop to anyone even your GF!!!

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.