Phones forum

Android vs Blackberry vs I phone??

by suzycat1 / September 3, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

I currently have an old flip phone and want to upgrade, and my head is spinning with all of the current options. I need something reasonably small to fit in a pocket. Primary use will be as a phone, with some texting, occasional check of e-mail, and once in a while internet use. I don't want to have to spend for a big data plan. Any recommendations for either Android, Blackberry, or I phone? or anything else, for that matter? I now have AT&T, if that helps.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Android vs Blackberry vs I phone??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Android vs Blackberry vs I phone??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
A lot of choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 5:58 AM PDT

But without a count of the minutes I can't tell if you can use the Virgin Mobile 35 buck month plan (or for that matter if you are in a country with that.

I bet it's the Blackberry that will win this round as it's data plan tends to run less.

Collapse -
more info
by suzycat1 / September 3, 2011 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: A lot of choices.

I am in USA, on family plan with two family members. I use about 300 to 400 minutes per month.

Collapse -
Compare plans.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

The VM plan is you buy one of the androids or blackberry (my son got his at Target) and then you get a 35 buck a monh deal for 300 minutes and almost unlimited data and texting.

For now that works for him.

I can't do the pricing for you but compare a blackberry to the android plans on the other carriers.

Collapse -
If you don't want to switch carriers/plans...
by Pepe7 / September 4, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

..and are happy with your current coverage, I suggest you grab something that won't force you into a data plan, such as one of the unlocked Nokia smartphones from Amazon. Right now you would go online and add a $15 dumbphone data plan at the ATT OLAM site (online account manager), and then switch your ATT SIM card into the Nokia when it arrives.
It is very likely if you upgraded to a blackberry, iPhone or Android powered handsets you would receive the dreaded 'you are on the incorrect data package' message from ATT. This means $30 more per month.
Let me know if you would like any specific phone suggestions if you want to investigate the unlocked route vs switching carriers as Bob has suggested.

Collapse -
Blackberry phones
by johnsenfrankin / September 5, 2011 6:07 PM PDT

I personally suggestion is blackberry phones because blackberry is not a common device and it have own software which is very smooth to use and one important thing is, it will suits your personality...

Collapse -
by Doh_1 / September 9, 2011 11:42 AM PDT

I'd personally suggest an iPhone...I know people who have an Android phone, and people that have a Blackberry phone. The Blackberry isn't as easy to use on the internet as the iPhone (or Android) but it's fine for email (I hear). On the other hand, the user interface of the Android phone isn't as easy to get to all the functionality as the iPhone, where it's one click away from just about anything.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.