Android forum

General discussion

ANDROID OR IPHONE?? WHAT IS THE BEST ITEM??

by danicamnoble / February 25, 2011 12:05 AM PST

I am thinking on what im going to buy this suumer an android or iphone4?? ..i wanna know whats the features on android.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ANDROID OR IPHONE?? WHAT IS THE BEST ITEM??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ANDROID OR IPHONE?? WHAT IS THE BEST ITEM??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given you can add apps on both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 12:11 AM PST

The features seem unlimited on both.

http://www.cnet.com/google-android/

But let me share I picked up a droid for my son yesterday and went for Virgin's 25 buck a month plan. I can't find such a value for the iphone.
Bob

Collapse -
And I think
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 4:48 AM PST

that asking a "Android vs. Something" question in an Android forum will yield Android-favoring results Happy

Android has countless features... I think a better approach would be that you tell us what you need and we'll let you know if you can do that with an Android.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
For what it is worth, I compared
by roddy32 / February 25, 2011 5:09 AM PST

my Samsung Galaxy Captivate which is an Andriod with my sister's Iphone and they are very similiar and do pretty much the same things. She loves her Iphone and I love my Andriod. I don't think there is a "Best". It is all a personal opinion.

Collapse -
Ask yourself this question:
by jcesarone / February 25, 2011 8:47 AM PST

I know lots of people with each. The best way is to ask yourself which sentence best describes your attitude toward technology:

1. I don't have to mess with it! It just works out of the box!
2. Cool! I get to mess around with it all I like!

If you answered #1, you need an iPhone. If you chose #2, you are made for Android.

Good luck!......JC

Collapse -
Ask Yourself this Question
by frogtvjr / February 25, 2011 11:34 AM PST

Absolutely fantastic answer. I have been looking for a simple answer to this question, and yours is absolutely brilliant!

Collapse -
Although...
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 4:22 PM PST

You don't have to mess with the Android, but you can. So it's the best of both worlds Wink

~Sovereign

Collapse -
One Droid thing I don't like
by Arkayem / February 25, 2011 9:14 AM PST

is that the power on/off button is directly across from the volume control. You would like to squeeze the phone at the top to turn it off, but it often just changes the volume.

Collapse -
The question is Android v. iPhone...
by aikibro / March 13, 2011 3:40 PM PDT

That respons doesn't address the issue however... "Droid" is one handset which runs on Android, so whatever issue you have with the location of the Power On/Off button is specific to just that phone... and not an Android issue in itself.

Collapse -
I have both
by peripo / February 25, 2011 11:46 AM PST

I have both: iPhone 4 (I've had every iPhone since they were first introduced) and HTC Desire (this is my second Droid, I preferred the Moto DEXT, but it was slower so I replaced it with the Desire).

On any day I find the iPhone much easier to get along with, but I do like the Desire and from my point of view it's only let down by the lack of functionality of it's apps. It's great to read books on, but the eReader for the Droid doesn't have even half the functionality of eReader on iPhone.

. For playing Music? iPhone every time
. For streaming video? iPhone is faster to start playing streaming vid, but Droid is good once it gets started
. Camera? no difference
. Sound? Droid has a crisper sound, but the iPhone is louder

As a phone, they're on a par, but while all the 'stuff' you can do is easier to use on the iPhone I prefer using the Droid as a phone.

My advice?
. If you have no experience with Smartphones, and you have a Gmail account - buy a Droid, or, if you want a Droid, get a Gmail account.
. If you have a Mac, buy an iPhone. They're made to go together and are a perfect pair. I've never tried to sync any of my iphones with iTunes on my Windows Laptop, but I assume it's probably easy - I just prefer my Macs to the orphan Win7 laptop I have.

recap: iPhone: uncomplicated with terrific selection of well written apps
Droid: terrific platform but let down by it's apps - but that's improving every day.
In the end, it comes down to personal choice and dollars

Collapse -
Android.
by 3rdalbum / March 2, 2011 10:02 AM PST

Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a decent brand-name Android phone. You can actually make and receive calls, unlike the iPhone. Even if you don't use your phone for connecting to cellular towers, you can customise Android phones more; and it's much fewer taps and clicks to get information such as weather, your calendar, Facebook etc.

Collapse -
Android or iPhone
by MrJames2785 / March 2, 2011 2:31 PM PST

Of course Android is much better than iphone. Android phones are cool, I would say base on my personal experience, I know because I have one and it is very cool.

Collapse -
If you text alot then Android
by orlbuckeye / March 6, 2011 10:58 AM PST

blows it away. The Iphone is stubborn when it thinks it knows the word you are typing. Android gives you multiple options for the word and Iphone changes without asking and it does it over and over. I had a Iphone 3gs and have switched to Android. Now there are things i liked better with the iphone but i prefer the Android over it the more i learn about it.

Collapse -
hi
by morean51 / March 8, 2011 4:49 PM PST

iphone is best manufacture wise but android is best in applications that's my opinion

Collapse -
Re: apps
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 8, 2011 4:52 PM PST
In reply to: hi

Do you really think Android apps on the whole are better than iPhone apps? Can you give a few specific examples?

Kees

Collapse -
The one reason we went droid.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2011 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: apps

It's just one reason. In a few words -> "Bluetooth serial port profile."

Without that on the iPhone or iPad we can't use those Apple products for our field staff.
Bob

Collapse -
I vote Android
by sandraseeves / March 9, 2011 3:28 PM PST

I vote for Android since it has lots of available apps you can find online.

Collapse -
like the ease of navigation
by A_NY_Outlaw / March 11, 2011 10:14 AM PST

I finally bit the bullet and bought my first new phone in about 5 years and bought a Motorola droid 2. I wasn't too sure of what to make of the touch screen, as I've only seen in the stores the BB storm and Iphone. I was sure I didn't want a phone that was strictly limited to touch screen or virtual keyboard. I was a bit hesitant to say the least, not to mention overwhelmed going from just a regular old cell phone to a smartphone with this many features. Let me just say in the 2 weeks I've had it, I absolutely love it so far. It's easy to navigate between screens and apps, although I am still having a bit of trouble figuring out the ringtone settings and how to apply ringtones that I download off of apps. It could be the phone, I don't know. I think it's quick, it's user friendly- especially for an old style phone dinosaur like I was. I'd recommend it!

Collapse -
Droid2
by mikedelugg / March 11, 2011 11:09 AM PST

I was an early adopter with my Droid from Verizon. And I was thrilled. It worked fine and when it became too sluggish I took an early upgrade to the Droid2 Global. Wow! And while I hated the hardware keyboard on the original Droid, the new Droid2 keyboard works great. It's so good I always use it for typing now (with my LARGE mitts.

So, I guess my point is there's an Android device for anybody out there. Just gotta choose the carrier/hardware that's right for you. And that's really the point: CHOICE!

Mike

Collapse -
DROID X makes a Wi-Fi hotspot for tethering devices iPad2
by bdarrah / March 12, 2011 11:08 AM PST

I went for a DROID X - great device to tether travel PC or notebook by making the DROID X a Wi-Fi hotspot. With this as my 3G device, if I buy an iPad2 will only need the Wi-Fi version instead of paying for a second 3G connection.

Also on VCast you can get NFL RedZone for no additional cost - my cable company doesn't carry it so the DROID X is great. Also get college football and basketball games on the VCast.

Don't need the Verizon mapping service - maps.google does the job for no additional cost.

Sync with GMail is excellent and for contacts - changed a phone number in GMail - went to DROID X to update it there and it was already done.
Keep Smiling

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.