Speakeasy forum

Rant

And the hypocricy keeps on coming

by TONI H / April 24, 2013 9:23 PM PDT

Congress and staffers exempting themselves from Obamacare......they're worried that the aides won't be able to afford to pay for it and look for other jobs. Are you freaking kidding me? This from the people who were told and accepted the crap of 'You have to pass the bill to know what's in it'.....now that they know, they don't want it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/obamacare-exemption-lawmakers-aides-90610.html

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/senior-hill-staffers-exempted-obamacare

MediaMatters slammed reports in 2010 that this was going to happen....will they now print an apology and retraction?

http://mediamatters.org/research/2010/03/25/media-falsely-claim-obama-and-staff-are-exempt/162248

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: And the hypocricy keeps on coming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: And the hypocricy keeps on coming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They already get free postage, can inside trade....
by Josh K / April 24, 2013 10:34 PM PDT

.....and have the unique ability to vote themselves pay raises. I suppose we can just add this to the list of things that Congress thinks it deserves special privileges on, though I think it would be political suicide for anyone who supported the ACA to vote in favor of this.

Collapse -
The aides also
by TONI H / April 24, 2013 10:51 PM PDT

got their student loans paid off two or three years ago in order to keep them from quitting........

Collapse -
Lying bags of poop
by James Denison / April 24, 2013 11:34 PM PDT

Too bad they aren't burning bags of poop.

Collapse -
Wonder what happened
by TONI H / April 24, 2013 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Lying bags of poop

to the campaign speeches BO kept making about how people across the country should have the same insurance Congress has and that this bill would provide that.........It just makes me crazy that no liberal rag will call him out on anything he lies about.

Collapse -
The same insurance Congress has
by Josh K / April 25, 2013 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Wonder what happened

I believe that was known as the "public option," which you vehemently opposed, as did many Republicans, and it had to be removed from the bill in order to get the rest of it passed.

Collapse -
No....
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 1:45 AM PDT

BO keep campaigning on the issue that all Americans should be 'entitled' to the same health insurance coverage that Congress has........but now they are exempting themselves and their staff and their aides from the insurance coverage that is being forced on people and businesses (which, by the way, only has four plans to choose from because they can no longer keep what they had......another issue that was lied about).

Collapse -
(NT) Congress wouldn't vote for it with the public option
by Diana Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Wonder what happened
Collapse -
Do People REALIZE how OC is being paid for and....
by TuffKitten / April 25, 2013 6:58 AM PDT

I don't think the vast majority of Americans even have clue ONE how OC is being funded. I was pleased about OC UNTIL I realized just how this was being paid for. I can't find a website for it for some reason. I DO find a lot of inaccurate websites, however. It is being funded by the old "robbing Peter to pay Paul" principal. So in reality, we are paying a LOT for it no matter HOW one views it.

I like our President BUT for that issue. The ACTUAL document is over 7,000 pages long though, which is probably why I can't find it. John Stossell reported on it recently and even a search of his website (he has TOO many.... I should tweet him and tell him to make ONE website with links). I literally looked for DAYS to find the information and never could.

Anyway, I STILL take issue with a few things. First off, I'm on Medicare and pay approximately $200.00 per month for it and because Medicare is NOT like Blue Cross or various other insurance companies, they simply FORK UP what a hospital bills them and whatever is left over (which is over the top, BTW, when a hospital finds out you have Medicare) the bill collectors will start harassing you ENDLESSLY.

When I say that hospitals bill Medicare over the top, I'll give you an example. I had a bump on my head (probaly a small cyst or something... no big deal but I was aware of it). In the middle of the night I apparently bumped it on my headboard or something and at the time I was taking the very dangerous drug "Ambien" which causes hemophilia. I started bleeding really bad and was clean out of Mephyton (a coagulant drug which is a lab produced drug having effects like vitamin K to stop excessive bleeding).

I had a friend come over to watch my dog and call to have me go to the E.R. to get mephyton and what turned out to be three stitches. They saw my medicare card. They REFUSED to call my physcian, would not listen to me to give me Mephyton, strapped me down and FORCED me to have a CT scan and various other tests which I LOUDLY REFUSED. They violated my rights and would NOT listen to me. My physician of 33 years came to my home the next day and was FURIOUS because they didn't call him and also told me that stitches weren't even required. He told me that pharmaceutical grade crazy glue is used in small issues like that and that mephyton is used in bleeders.

The required care was SIMPLE. A shot of mephyton and crazy glue (that not what it's actually called but is the same product, just packaged in a sanitary manufacturing/packaging facility is all).

Medicare got billed for $17,000.00 and believe it or not, they paid it. No questions asked. I found out about it and called Medicare. Medicare took back from the hospital ALL but $300 and change. Well, nothing can be done to get the radiation out of me that they forced upon me OR the scar from absolutely not required stitches.

My POINT to that story is this. IF persons would police Medicare (which shouldn't even be required BUT it seems just given that particular situation I've described, it's necessary) there would be PLENTY of money to fund care without these undisclosed "robbing Peter to pay Paul" costs.

Furthermore, I have a HUGE issue with the absolute fact that if your are NOT a legal citizen of the U.S., a hospital or physician MUST treat you and guess what? Because you're not legal you've no SS # so you get freebie care. Probably the RIGHT care too as they can't ROB Medicare. BUT if you ARE a legal citizen with insurance or Medicare, you'll get treatment you DON'T NEED. I didn't need x-rays, a CT scan, an MRI... all that happened was a cyst burst and the Ambien had caused me to be hemophiliac (I know that as when I stopped taking it, my coagulation returned to normal. While on it i had terrible nose bleeds, etc. and even has State Farm pay for $5,300.00 in ruined carpet in my former townhome due to a nosebleed).

WHY WON'T PEOPLE WAKE UP?! We already HAVE "universal health care" if you get technical about it. The ONLY problem is that is you are a U.S. citizen you will be DESTROYED by medical bills but if you pretend that you're not (just talk in some language the hospital E.R. doesn't understand) and you'll be ok.

There is PLENTY of money there to provide for health care for all if that's the way our country wants to go. That is IF persons on Medicare would speak up like me and tell Medicare they've been way over paying.

I might be off on a tangent here BUT it's something I feel strongly about. I'm tired of being lied to.

OC will do some good for us health wise AND some bad but absolutely will do harm, fiscally, to us.

Why is the document 7,000 pages long if there aren't things hidden in there if my first question? I know what the things are. I just wish I could find the link. A note to Stossell went unanswered.

Persons with government affiliation don't have to worry about their care. We pay for super premium health care for them. OC is really for the masses and those that cannot afford insurance. FRANKLY, I can't afford Medicare. I'm at poverty level on my SSDI and from that pay a tad over $200.00 every month.

I'm thinking about dropping it and if medical attention is required just to leave my information home and pretend like I don't understand English. Then I get only what I need and no bill collectors.

I'm paying for it anyway through taxes so why not????

OK rant over! Sorry 'bout that. Didn't come in here for that. I was looking for something else and saw "what's hot" and clicked it open.

Collapse -
Three years ago
by TONI H / April 25, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

I had almost the identical situation happen to me regarding the hospital, treatment (if you want to call forcing a sleeping injection on me because I was mad and arguing with 'caregivers' about what I knew I didn't need from them), and overcharging my Medicare insurance. I complained directly to the VA Insurance agency watchdog and had an investigation done at the hospital. I was never informed, however, about what the results of it ended with and never could find out if Medicare got any of their money back for 'tests' that the hospital claimed they gave me because while I was conscious they didn't give me any so they must have done them while I was out like a light and non-combative.

I fully agree with most of what you had to say.......and in case you don't know it, the original bill that passed was over 2400 pages long, and as of two months ago, the 'rules' for that bill had already gone to the 20 THOUSAND page mark and is still climbing.

Collapse -
HUH???!!?!?!?!?! 20,000?
by TuffKitten / April 25, 2013 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Three years ago

OMG! You've GOT to be kidding. That's just insane. Just the cost of the transcriber's time, equipment, printing, distribution, et.c., would pay for OC!

The injection you mentioned reminds me. While taking Ambien I used to get strange heart palpitations. I know this sounds terrible BUT I DID self medicate it and my medication of choice was a shot or two of Tequila. Don't ask why as I've no clue why but it worked.

One time I was having weird palpitations and just threw my clothes on and ran up to the liquor store and grabbed what I thought was a bottle of tequila. It didn't work. They wouldn't stop so I call non-emergency to come and check me out. They said I should let them take me to the ER to have it checked out as, indeed, there were peculiarities in my heart rhythms. I let them.

I woke up HYSTERICAL about 10 hours later after entering the ER only to find out I'd been injected with an ANTI-PSYCHOTIC drug and, upon review of the bill, found not just ONE pre-injection pregnancy tests but TWO. The first one was positive and the hospital gave me the drug anyway.

Needless to say, there is no baby. It passed. But I can't carry to term anyway but that one MIGHT have but we'll never know.

As it all turns out, my personal physician reviewed the lab results and determined that the palpitations were simple anxiety. Actually, what's rather frightening looking back, is that my fiance' passed away quite suddenly about a month later and after three months of reviewing his autopsy, the coroner finally put down "unknown heart issues".

Medicare paid out over $20,000 for my 10 - 12 hour "watch" in the hospital's E.R. They that back too after calling them.

We, as Americans, REALLY need to watch how our bills are being padded, especially with Medicare. The Blue Cross's and Unicare's of the world won't pay out what Medicare will. They just won't. I don't think most persons on Medicare even REALIZE how they are being ripped off. At $200 per month, I think I should be getting excellent health care. I have to pay separate for my prescription, vision, and dental insurance SO, because I'm a citizen of the U.S. and not an illegal, I'm not entitled to free health care.

One thing many people also don't realize was that Obama was EXTREMELY clever when he allowed illegals pending citizenship driver's licenses. Why? Because they THEN have to provide proof of auto insurance, they have documentation of some sort or another so we, the tax payers don't get stuck with their bills for medical care, etc.

I have a new personal policy now. I don't go near hospitals unless I'm already dead. Upon reading the bill, most people likely WILL drop dead!

I'd also like to add that the "watchdog" program you speak of WAS planted in the hospital that did those two things to me. Medicare TOLD me they were implementing that program into that hospital. But they wouldn't share their finding with me.

They really don't need to. I already know what they've probably found.

BE HEALTHY NOW!!!!! >^*v*^<

Collapse -
Ambien
by James Denison / April 25, 2013 1:26 PM PDT

Truly a terrible pharmaceutical, can't understand how it's not been banned already. Too many problems. Took my Mom off it while she was alive when it started affecting her mental ability.

Collapse -
Has never been licensed in Canada because of concerns over
by Ziks511 / April 28, 2013 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Ambien

its side effects and persistence during the following day affecting reactions, driving, operating machinery etc. I never ran across it in the UK either. Unfortunately the US pharmaceutical industry ever since Reagan's gutting of the FDA has become a law unto itself. It's a damn' shame.

In re: reccommended meds, while the British National Formulary is admirable, providinng the prescriber with the cost of the medication they are prescribing, unfortunately the NHS insists on the cheapest possible variant of the medication regardless of efficacy or an utterly miniscule cost differential.

Rob

Collapse -
you blame Reagan?
by James Denison / April 28, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

You'd be more correct to blame Kessler.

Collapse -
Doesn't all this artificial outrage make you tired??
by Ziks511 / April 28, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

It certainly does me. Not that I'm saying that I approve of the unashamed and unrestrained self-interest which characterizes the actions of both members of the Congress and the Senate. (Isn't it funny how quickly the sequestration regarding Air Traffic Controllers was resolved when it looked to inconvenience the members of both Houses during their holiday?)

Rob

Collapse -
I'm actually surprised (not really)
by TONI H / April 28, 2013 8:42 PM PDT

that your outrage is never directed at the actual guilty party......in this case BO as usual.....because he was given the authority by the House to make the decisions of what to cut and where and he refused it, and in fact, stated flatly that he would VETO any proposal that got to his desk to give him that authority. I wonder why he was so quick to ok this FCC bill after saying he would veto any and all bills that 'moved the money around'? He could have had full authority to delegate that money moving to his department heads to make it easier instead of trying to make Republicans out to be the heavy in this.......after all, in order to give the FCC the ok to move it around, the House now had to create a separate bill to piecemeal exactly what BO could have had sweeping authority to do instead so instead of it taking one day months ago for BO to tell the FCC they could do this, the House and then the Senate had to both pass this same authoritative bill and get his signature on it.

This is not artificial outrage on my part and you know it. This prez goes out of his way to make this as difficult and painful as possible to the American people when it isn't necessary and he does it deliberately in order to make a point (and those political points are blowing up in his face on a regular basis lately). He doesn't care that he takes away WH tours from kids who saved and had bake sales, etc. for a year to pay for a tour trip but will not cancel one of his celebrity parties. He didn't care that most of what he threatened would happen with sequestration was ******.t and didn't cause the country to fall down....and he didn't care that travelers would be inconvenienced when it wasn't necessary........he HAD to make sure he got the publicity of that inconvenience because it was the only way he could point the finger at Reps again, and that isn't happening and DIDN'T happen. A week of inconvenience for nothing......and all the House and Senate did was agree on something else that could be cut in order to get the $250M to the FCC that they needed and pass that bill on to the egomaniac we have for a Prez to put his fancy-assed signature to it.....BO could have done the same thing four months ago. More and more of the public are seeing what a jerk he is....

Collapse -
Why doesn't Congress decide what is to be cut?
by Diana Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

Let's face it, no matter what Obama decided, it would be wrong.

The Congress is complaining about cutting the military and taking care of disabled vets but they refuse to eliminate the building of more tanks that the army doesn't want

Just looking at that, if Obama cut those tanks, the Congress critters whose districts build those tanks would be up in arms about it. If he didn't, the others would be up in arms about the waste that could be directed elsewhere.

I don't blame him for not taking it on. It is definitely a lose-lose situation.

Diana

Collapse -
Congress alone
by TONI H / April 29, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

shouldn't have to have the task of writing authorizations to each dept head affected by the sequestration to make those decisions. The prez could have easily made a broad sweeping statement to all of them at the same time to do just that without having to burden Congress with the task of now writing individual bills for each department.......especially after BO had stated publicly that he would veto 'amendments' granting that authority when it was offered before sequestration even started Jan 1. You can't have your cake and eat it, too, Diana.......

As for a lose-lose situation, he was perfectly willing to offer sequestration personally during the budget talks last year and hope that he could use that as a weapon against Republicans because he believed that he could manipulate the situation to back the Reps into a corner and give him what he wanted or he could manipulate the public sentiment into blaming Reps when sequestration too effect if he made the pain bad enough. Neither of those scenarios are working out for him and he's been the one to have to back down so far.

Collapse -
they don't have to authorize each, all they have to do
by Roger NC / April 29, 2013 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Congress alone

is passed an overall budget with the same amounts to each area as they have after sequestration but without the "across the board" restriction.

Neither side will do that, because the special interest groups and lobby firms that pay the real salary of congresscritters would scream and finance someone else next election, someone who would stay bought.

Collapse -
Something really needs to be done....
by Josh K / April 29, 2013 9:52 PM PDT

......about what amounts to legalized bribery and extortion in Congress. Not that I expect Congress to vote to derail its own gravy train.

Collapse -
Each dept is already
by TONI H / April 29, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

receiving more than they got last year......the restriction (sequestration) only affected a small percentage of the normal increase that they get each fiscal year....unfortunately not enough people who vote understand that the cuts weren't actual cuts and that they were only cuts to automatic increases.

Collapse -
so if there are no cuts no one is hurting
by Roger NC / April 30, 2013 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Each dept is already

anymore than they were last year.

It's all a sham by all those political critters I guess.

They're not canceling and postponing ship building and repair and deployments.

They didn't actually cut any money to the airport controllers.

The furloughs are all a lie to manipulate the american public.

Actually I can almost believe that about those congress critters, no matter if it's a blue, red, or purple stripe, almost all of them are skunks.

Collapse -
"hee, hee, hee..."
by James Denison / April 30, 2013 2:17 PM PDT

"let's tell'em we did it,... and don't" - Congress.

Collapse -
They also didn't cut Meals on Wheels....
by Josh K / April 30, 2013 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
yep, on news here last night or thismorning
by Roger NC / May 1, 2013 10:32 AM PDT

Meals on wheels in one county lost $8000 this year so far. On the waiting list 241 in Pitt county (about an hour from me, university county so makes news).

Of course, we shouldn't be feeding people anyway should we? that's their and their family responsibility only isn't it? Sad

Collapse -
Yes...it's all been a sham
by TONI H / May 1, 2013 12:04 AM PDT

perpetuated by this administration to 'prove' to the people how cutting without new revenue to spend will hurt. Tell a lie often enough and it will be believed, especially by the very people who don't know enough to know better that you want to continue to vote for your garbage agenda and the freebies.

Collapse -
(NT) so you maintain no budget has been cut at all?
by Roger NC / May 1, 2013 10:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
How can you cut
by TONI H / May 1, 2013 8:19 PM PDT

something that hasn't existed for four years now? With continuing resolutions, this administration has literally had their cake and has eaten it too, even though it is against Constitutional law (you know...that subject that BO taught?) for the Senate to NOT pass a budget. With a CR, they not only get what they got the previous year, but they also get the automatic increases. And the automatic increases is what got 'cut' by 2% via sequestration....

So yes.....it's all a sham

Collapse -
I'll rephrase
by Roger NC / May 1, 2013 8:53 PM PDT

You believe that each department has the same funds available this year it has last year, no less money to spend?

Collapse -
Yes...
by TONI H / May 1, 2013 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll rephrase

and it's not my belief, it's a fact. All departments have the same as they got last year plus the automatic increase minus 2% of that increase....so actually, they all have MORE than they had last year.

Collapse -
(NT) So all the furloughs are deliberate lies
by Roger NC / May 2, 2013 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.