Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Anchor Free Hotspot Shield

by ipod59874 / March 30, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

I'm thinking about downloading Anchor Free Hotspot Shield to my laptop. The link to the main website is http://anchorfree.com/
Should I trust it. It might have viruses. Please reply if you use this or know a little bit about this. Your help is gladly appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anchor Free Hotspot Shield
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anchor Free Hotspot Shield
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I read their privacy policy and more...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2007 10:16 PM PDT

This doesn't appear to offer any value to you but does to them. If you read more you see they are building databases for "offers."

I'd pass.

Bob

Collapse -
Anchor Free HotSpot Shield, Go Ahead and Download It
by MikWit / June 26, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

I see no reason why you shouldn't download Hotspot Shield. I'm running Mac OS X and so far everything is fine. So what if they are building a database? There is no requirement to provide an email address when you download anyway, so what's the problem? For a free application that will keep my wireless communication secure, it's working just great and I am pleased as punch to have found it. As for some people commenting about the ads that are displayed, switch to Firefox and install Adblock Plus. It strips out ALL adds from web pages and the only images visible are the Anchor Free logo and its accompanying Rewards Bar graphic. For a free application, Hotspot shield is great. I give it two secure, encrypted thumbs up.

Collapse -
Read their privacy policy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2007 10:56 PM PDT

"The Information AnchorFree Collects:"

No need for me to duplicate it here but they are collecting...

Collapse -
(NT) What do you need a hotspot shield for?
by PudgyOne / June 27, 2007 1:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Be Protected When Using WiFi Away From Home
by MikWit / June 27, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

You don?t need HotSpot Shield for your home wireless setup (since you can setup exactly the level of security you want), but it is a good idea to use an application like it if you are using free wireless Internet WiFi hotspots while on the road, away from home. If the wireless access is free, then most likely there is no password to access the network and no encryption whatsoever.

What does this mean? Simple: Your communications (sending data in forms, emails, attachments) can be intercepted by any third party who has the capabilityyou?re your personal data can be compromised. If you are just browsing the Drudge Report or checking baseball scores, the risk is inconsequential. In this case, who cares if someone intercepts what you are browsing?

However, if you are reading personal email, say for instance from your Yahoo or Hotmail account, the connection is not protected by the HTTPS protocol. Sure, your login is protected by an HTTPS connection, but once you are inside the email application it switches back to HTTP. Suddenly you are unprotected. If someone sends you a password and other proprietary data, you run the risk of that info getting into the wrong hands.

Usually, financial sites such as PayPal, banks, and credit card companies keep the entire browser login session in HTTPS, so you are ok there. Your inbound and outbound data is protected within a secure tunnel. However, many sites do not work this way. As a result, a lot of info you wouldn?t want anyone to get a hold of can be intercepted. With identity theft on the rise, who wants to risk it these days?

That?s where the HotSpot Shield comes in. When activated, it creates a Virtual Private Network for you that allows you to access web sites--wherein the pages and info sent/displayed are encrypted, while en route to and from your browser. So, anything and everything you view is private. Even if you send and receive info from sites that do not use HTTPS, your communications are secure. You are no longer out in the open, with your personal data flying to and fro across the ether, available for any enterprising hacker who wants to grab it.

Collapse -
I know you're trying to sell this product
by PudgyOne / June 27, 2007 5:29 AM PDT

but I already have a firewall and my email account is secure as well as my bank. I don't care if others see where I am going or where I've been. I use a limited account with a fictious name for this purpose. I also use a firewall that blocks incoming and outgoing. What you're selling is a WiFi Shield! Firewalls protect you from being hacked.

How about people that are using this?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1021256519470427962&q=wep+crack

Rick

Collapse -
WiFi Protection has nothing to do With Firewalls
by MikWit / June 27, 2007 6:41 AM PDT

Then you are in good shape! Congratulations. By the way, I am not trying to sell anything, I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever, just trying to put out some sort of viable response that makes sense. In my case, I need the shield for WiFi access and was happy to find a free option for Mac OS X. You mention a firewall but that is not the issue here, so I don't think we are on the same wavelength. Besides, the product is free anyway, so selling is would be a misnomer. If you don't like the program, don't use it, and do your own research.

Collapse -
AdBlock Plus
by hallidaydj / December 2, 2007 8:35 AM PST

MikWit, I am trying out AdBlock Plus with FireFox as you suggested to eliminate the AnchorFree ad. The content of the ad is blanked out but the approximately one inch of white space the top of the webpages remains. I have the 'Collapse Blocked Element' option checked on.

Any thought on how to close-up the white space?

Collapse -
He won't respond
by PudgyOne / December 2, 2007 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: AdBlock Plus

He was just trying to sell his product.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:15AM PDT

Rick

Collapse -
hi, response
by Brbowles / December 13, 2007 8:30 AM PST

how you doing, thanks for posting that, you dont know how long ive been trying to find out if this hotspot shield will atcually work, but im still concerned about 1 thing...will it block and protect me when i download utorrent stuff, i.e. illegal videos, mp3s. please respond.

Collapse -
Locked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: hi, response

Sorry but there is NO SUPPORT OFFERED for this here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.