Samsung forum

General discussion

Analog audio output for Samsung TVs

by msnhdr / January 14, 2011 2:14 PM PST

I have a Philips wireless headphone set which is conveniently connected to the red-white RCA audio output of my old CRT TV. The audio output level is fixed and independent to TV's speaker volume. The headphone set has its own volume control.

Now I'm in the market for a 40" or 42" LCD TV and Samsung is in my first choice, but unfortunately the local shops here in Australia say that Samsung TVs don't have a simple analog audio output and I have to buy some other brand. It is hard for me to believe. Do they miss something?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Analog audio output for Samsung TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Analog audio output for Samsung TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 17, 2011 4:59 AM PST

If you're looking for a connection that adjusts the volume, then you'll want a "variable" audio output on the RCA jacks. The Samsung models have a "fixed" output (except for models that have a headphone jack, which are typically smaller units).

So your salesperson was correct that the 40" and 42" models would not have a variable audio output on the Samsung models. (That's how it is in the U.S., so I'm going to assume that is uniform across the board). Now, if your headphones have their own amplifier and power source (like batteries) and the volume is controlled by the headset, that might work. There is an RCA audio output on most sets. But they won't be controlled by the TV's volume - the headset would have to power the signal and amplify it.

Does that help explain?

Collapse -
by msnhdr / January 17, 2011 9:57 AM PST

Thanks for your reply.

My wireless headphone set has built in amplifier and volume control. It also has automatic gain control works with both AUX and headphone level. A standard 3.5mm to RCA cable was included in the box.

All I need is a *fixed* AUX audio output on the TV. RCA or 3.5mm jack doesn't matter, as long as the output is fixed and independent to the main speaker volume.

All Samsung 40" and 42" models I see here only have 3.5mm headphone jack and no RCA AUX output. That's fine, but the salespersons say that when I insert a 3.5mm male plug into the headphone jack the main speaker mutes. Are they correct?

Collapse -
Analog audio output for Samsung TVs -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 17, 2011 2:37 PM PST

I have no idea. I would think (read: assume) a "no" answer for that. I do know that in the U.S. models, there is an "external speaker" mode for the audio, so if it's not automatic, it should be easily adjustable in the menu.

Collapse -
by MrCJMills / January 17, 2011 8:06 PM PST

I recently purchased a Samsung 6 series 40" LCD TV LE40C654 - a European version I assume. Generaly I am very pleased with it - but I have found the lack of an analogue audio output a bit annoying. My old TV was hooked up to my Hi-Fi using the stereo output, and I can't do this any more.

As far as I can tell there is either a headphone 3.5mm jack buried in the panel at the back, or a digital audio output - no analogue audio connections (unless I have seriously missed something.) The link below shows the connections I have

I have tried taking the analogue audio out of a SCART socket - but it only works for the built in digital TV receiver. I have also tried taking the analogue audio output from my satellite TV box and DVD player - however this is not satisfactory as there is a small delay in the TVs displaying the video feeds and the external audio and TVs audio and video appear out of sync leading to a giving a strange echo effect.

I am thinking about trying something like this
though I am not 100% sure it will work - it will only decode stereo audio feeds - from what I gather from the manual for my TV the optical audio output will put out 5.1 sound when receiving a source from its built in tuner (if broadcast in 5.1), but only stereo when outputting audio received from an external HDMI or SCART source, though it may be able to be set the format in the menus. Either way it is a complicated and costly work around. I know we're living in a digital age, but having no provision for any legacy analogue audio equipment seems a bit off to me.

Collapse -
perfect !!
by my-tech / January 17, 2011 9:16 PM PST

you can see the headphone jack picture, you need a 3.5mm to rca adaptor, whichever you choose should be fine, as far as adjusting volume or whatever, ive never had a problem bringing things in to the store ie: headphones and trying them there Happy

Collapse -
by MrCJMills / January 17, 2011 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: perfect !!

I've though about that.

I presume that when the headphone jack is connected it will mute the TVs speakers. Normally I would only use the Hi-Fi for speakers for movies rather than all the time, and having to connect and disconnect it all the time is less than ideal, especially when the TV is closely wall mounted.

Collapse -
by my-tech / January 17, 2011 10:24 PM PST

there is actually a setting on our samsung tv's menu to allow both headphone+ tv speaker and headphone+no tv speaker

I have mine running to a home stereo with a 3.5 to rcs adaptor/splitter that doesnt have optical audio and it works great !!

Collapse -
by MrCJMills / January 17, 2011 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: hey

I didn't realise that was there - I should have a 3.5mm to RCA cable at home so I'll give it a shot tonight.

Cheers Grin

Collapse -
RE: Analog audio output
by MrCJMills / January 19, 2011 5:45 PM PST

I had a look for the menu described, but I can't seem to find it - the only thing I can find close is the external speaker output menu - but that seems only to affect the optical output and doesn't allow both to be selected. I upgraded to the latest firmware in case that was the problem, but it hasn't seemed to help.

I have uploaded a page from the manual for the 6 series TVs - and there is no mention of being able to have both the headphones and TV speaker on at the same time
Is any one able to describe exactly where this menu is, or does it just not exist on the 6 series TVs?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 20, 2011 10:43 AM PST

What's the model number for your TV?

Collapse -
I am having similar issues
by Geerdub / January 24, 2011 7:19 AM PST

I am having the same problem. I have the LE37C6050 and wanted to use an analogue output to a standard and basic amp and speaker set.

The only two options it seems are:

1. Take the analogue direct from the 3.5 mm headphone jack
2. Use a optical to analogue converter to connect to amp

I have tried both and each has major drawbacks.

1. If want to use tv speakers you have to physically unplug the jack. I cannot find in menu a choice to flick between headphones and tv speakers. Also the audio equaliser does not work when headphones plugged in, so cannot set up for best sound.

2. The audio equaliser does not work and the volume cannot be altered by the tv remote. Is there any way the audio level can be linked to tv volume so can still use tv remote for volume????

Is there a way in menu the change between headphone and tv speaker?
Can volume on tv remote be actived to control audio level when using external

Many thanks.

Collapse -
by my-tech / January 24, 2011 7:34 AM PST

On the tv setup where I have the 3.5mm split to 2 RCA jacks into the stereo receiver is a samsung pn50c490

When I go into the menu under audio /speaker select , I can choose external( which mutes the tvs audio and goes through the 3.5pm only ) or tv speaker ( which allows both tv and 3.5mm to work simultaneously )

So I guess it's prob just as simple to use the tvs speaker option and just adjust the volume for the headset or stereo as needed Happy

Collapse -
Think mine is different
by Geerdub / January 24, 2011 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: Hey

Thanks for explanation.

Pretty sure that when headphones are plugged in that the external / tv speaker option greys out and cannot be selected, same as equaliser and most other audio options.

I guess every TV the menus will be different. Really annoying!

Collapse -
Connnecting Altec Lancing VS3251 speakers to my Samsung TV
by patt1234 / July 19, 2012 5:18 AM PDT

Dear All,

Thanks for all the details. Please let me know the following:

1) If I understand correctly, the suggested route is to find an optical out to RCA adapter/ 3.5 mm adapter

2) However, please confirm if we can also connect the 3.5 mm headset out to 3.5 mm aux into the Altec Lancing speaker?

3) If no, can we atleast connect the 3.5 mm headset out with a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter?

Which amongst these is the preferred alternative? Also, can you please explain if we can simultaneously use the Samsung as well Altec Lancing speakers?

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Check out this recen discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2012 5:49 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.