Samsung forum

amsung 26in LCD TV Strobing / Flickering on and off, help!

by ian2uk / February 22, 2013 4:39 AM PST

Can anyone help me please.

Model Number: Samsung LE26R41BDX 26in LCD TV

Had it 6-7 years? been really good Tv and been pleased with it.

The last week it has been playing up. When I turn on TV after about 15 mins the picture strobes or flickers on and off. This happens on all inputs.

Turning of TV off for 20 seconds and turning back on again picture fixes it, but it soon returns to flicker / strobing after 5 mins. It is getting worse and I can't use it now

Have read that it could be either:

A) Jumper needs cutting? (but can't see a jumper on my TV model) or B) Capacitor needs replacing (but they look fine to me not bulging at top? Can they be not bulging at top and be faulty?)

there is some white plastic goo on one capacitor but think its just that? Have attached photo but will put better photo up tomorrow.

Any Ideas, i'm stuck what to do now

Thanks, ian
P.s plugged tv in with back off. After 15 mins picture started blinking. When put ear over back can hear faint. Tick, tick, tick, tick noise in time with blinking on and of picture if that helps. Blinking has spead up now 3 times a second was just once a second

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: amsung 26in LCD TV Strobing / Flickering on and off, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: amsung 26in LCD TV Strobing / Flickering on and off, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
After that many years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 4:44 AM PST

I doubt it's the jumper. But the age and story have me ask if you cleaned the vents with canned air.

It appears this is a size model that you take into the repair shop. So be sure you get an estimate.

Collapse -
by ian2uk / February 22, 2013 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: After that many years.

Thanks for quick response! Happy
I have not cleaned vents with canned air. Screen did have dirty patch on it that had turned light brown. visible when pure white backgrpund image was displayed.

Do you think cleaning vents with air is answer?

Is it easy for me to do?

Collapse -
If the vents have never been cleaned in 6-7 years?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

Then the likelihood of some heat issue just went up.

Collapse -
by ian2uk / February 22, 2013 5:10 AM PST

I dont know where the dust would be? Would it have caused dirty not pure white portion on screen. And liked to current issue?

Screen has vents at top plastic case. I removed case and any dust would only get on top of mother board not behind screen as its sealed. There is no dust on motherboard it just falls to bottom if anywhere.

Not sure where it would be affecting it or how to get to it.

Collapse -
These TVs have boards, chips and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: thks

I'm working with the clues you wrote about how it takes a few minutes to mess up. That's a classic heat symptom. Since dust and such can clog up heatsinks and vents and since folk rarely do any maintenance on laptops and TVs your tech is always putting on a dust mask to give the vents a quick blast.

As to green/white specks, as chips can fail in so many ways the results can be any color of the rainbow to nothing on the rainbow as well.

As to other ideas, at this many years your tech may also try replacing heat sink compound.

Lots of good techs out there. Are you getting into the TV repair business?

Collapse -
by ian2uk / February 22, 2013 5:33 AM PST

Yes seems heat or possibly power. Thats why i thought was capasitors and thet discharge when turn of, thats why works for while when turn on and off set

I have read.that that is what it was online as samsung have problems underating them. Buf they look normail.

Dirty image suggests maybe relateed to dust like u said. I just dont want to take tv apart to much otherside of the board, lcd tube side.
Thks for advice, apreciate it. Will look a little closer see if find anything.

Collapse -
Virtual bristle?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: thks

The story about the underrated capacitors is urban lore. If we look at the voltage on a 10 Volt cap, it's usually 1/2 that.

However if you read you get a better idea of what happened. There are some that want to write the parts were underrated but it's worse than that. The parts were just bad.

Collapse -
PS. More about bad caps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Virtual bristle?

The bad caps symptom is that it works better after it powers up. This set's symptom is the opposite which points us to heat or heat sensitive components.

If this was mine, the heatsinks are cleaned, pulled and new compound applied.
Hope this helps, Bob

Collapse -
think it is heat!
by ian2uk / February 23, 2013 5:30 AM PST

thanks for help with this.

I took back of TV and turned it on. Watched some TV until picture started flickering. There is a noise coming from the bottom left of the TV. Which seemed to be coming from two white round things on their sides with wire coils around them. So I blew on them (thinking to cool them down) and the picture stopped blinking!

So I'm thinking that these are the source of the problem (over heating) they can be see in pic 2 of 6 bottom left!

I'm not sure what they are or if they are easy to replace?? but I'm thinking this could be it!

Will now try and find out more about what they are etc...

Really hope I have found problem!

Collapse -
Conclusion - sort of i.e its still broke lol
by ian2uk / February 24, 2013 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: think it is heat!

I took TV apart again. lol! and looked carefully to see if I could see anything out of the ordinary. But couldn't

I looked at the back of the board and its really not to bad, all solders look silver and looks in good condition.

So decided cleaning would not fix anything.

Put TV bad together now.

I am now just trying to work out if the problem is most likely on the power board. As I am going to buy a used one on ebay for £22. to save me repair cost which I guess will be a lot? :/

This what I have worked out, My conclusion:

1) When Flickering picture happens, turning off TV and turning straight back on fixes it for about 2 minutes.
2) Getting a piece of paper and waving it over the top air vents (i.e fanning) also stops flickering for about 2 minutes. (discounted previous thing I thought it was)

If anyone knows what it might be before I buy a used power board, I would be very grateful. thks Happy

Collapse -
How the tech knows what it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 12:16 AM PST

They swap the suspect board/part and test.

In your case you could have put a fan (I did this to our old cranky RPTV and got 3 more years out of it) in the right place.

It appears you think that tech's know what it is. They really don't. They have a good idea and using symptoms and diagnostics (you did that!) find the board/part and then change that.

Collapse -
final thing
by ian2uk / February 24, 2013 12:28 AM PST

TV is 7 years old!

don't suppose the bulbs would do this?

Collapse -
by ian2uk / February 23, 2013 3:34 AM PST

photos of my TV power board can be found here (if helps)

TV has another board next to it wth tuner and processor.

Collapse -
About your bulbs question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 12:36 AM PST

Again, the tech swaps that and tests. They may have a good idea it's that but if you are in the repair business you rarely see them with the full up diagnostics (Schematics, Oscilloscopes and more.)

Collapse -
TV tubes
by ian2uk / February 24, 2013 12:50 AM PST

Thanks again, yes I'm a bit worried now.

think it might be the tubes (bulbs) which I would not be able to fix Sad

see link: Samsung TV LN-T4065F flashing display - Electronics | DSLReports Forums (Page 2)

My TV is old and developed a dirty very slight brownish part on the screen (like dust) visible when displaying pure white background.

I'm just going to need to see how much to repair at shop as I'm not an electrician. Will buy power board and put it in as last resort else I cant fix it Sad shame is brilliant TV

thanks again for all your help

Collapse -
FIXED!! :)
by ian2uk / March 2, 2013 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: TV tubes

Just wanted to post this if it helps anyone with same issue:

Put in used power board I brought on Ebay. The problem is now fixed.

thank you for your help! I believe it was indeed dry solder joints causing this issue. I am not an electrician but looking very closely they did have less solder than the ones on replacement board.

there were quite a few small components with not much solder on topside of board way to hard for me to do without mucking up soldering. Main ones seemed to be around the metal heat coolers.

thank you Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.