TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Amp advice

by Rondwy / February 11, 2013 10:13 AM PST

Hi, hoping to get expert advice. I just bought a denon 3313ic AVR. I have a 5.1 surround sound set up on the receiver main and a set of outside speakers on the secondary built in amp for zone 2. I want to add an external amp off the pre out for zone 3 and power two sets of Polk in wall speakers rated at 20-100w, 8 ohms in two other rooms of my house. Any recommendations for a four channel amp that would work well? Nothing to fancy, I would be using the denon for input sources and for volume control. Thanks in advance for any help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amp advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amp advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not get a single amp & switcher that can handle multiple
by Pepe7 / February 11, 2013 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Amp advice

pairs(?) If you click on my user name and search back through some of my posts from a couple months ago, there are some decent options you could utilize.

Collapse -
Amp advice
by Rondwy / February 11, 2013 5:42 PM PST

Because I want to run all the speakers at once.... Parties, etc...

Collapse -
Sorry- to clarify a little more
by Pepe7 / February 11, 2013 10:17 PM PST

Correct, I understand you would like to run all speakers at once. That's pretty obvious Wink

You really only need the main receiver and one subsequent amp/switcher that can handle all the speaker pairs in question. It connects to either zone 2 or 'B' speaker selection, depending on what the receiver can support (see the manual).

The posts I am referring to were regarding 'whole house audio' or something similar.

Collapse -
Amp advice
by Rondwy / February 12, 2013 12:05 AM PST

Your killing me Pepe7, if you read my original post, that is what I am looking to do, add a four channel amp to my Denon AVR off of the pre outs. My question to everyone out there is a recommendation for a make and model number of a amp that will work well in my situation. I just want a simple amp that is decent quality, doesn't need a remote or a reciever or volume control, just want to set it up and tuck it away in my entertainment center and run the whole system off the Denon. Thanks again for any input.

Collapse -
You may be limited to the sources you can play back
by Pepe7 / February 12, 2013 1:23 AM PST

FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, the xx13 models removed some of the ability to send along digital sources to zone 2 & 3. Read the following thread and see if it applies to your needs. I also do not believe anyone successfully answered whether or not Airplay functionality via PCM would be an 'end run' around this limitation. Might be worth popping over to AVS and seeing if anyone has any suggestions.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415902/denon-3312ci-dual-zone-question

Also see p.104 of the Denon manual online for footnotes about what types of signals it can pass to zone 2/3 via pre-out. IOW, it might not be as simple as adding a four channel amp for your situation/hardware. Crutchfield mentions this limitation here too under 'multi room audio video'-
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u1w7HmK6Y4M/p_033AV3313C/Denon-AVR-3313CI.html

If you can find a compatible receiver though, I like the following Dayton multi-channel amp @ Parts Express. It's about as economical as you are going to get.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.