Speakeasy

Rant

America...an armed camp?

by JP Bill / March 8, 2013 8:58 PM PST
Some US communities seek to make gun ownership mandatory

NO seniors or disabled....physically or mentally (that can't even lift a weapon) could live in town?

Just as long as you have a weapon "in the residence" you're golden?

Talk about publishing the names and addresses of people that have weapons.....Just come to town and pick a house...There's a weapon inside.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: America...an armed camp?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: America...an armed camp?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not new
by Steven Haninger / March 8, 2013 9:09 PM PST
Collapse -
RE: In earlier US history
by JP Bill / March 8, 2013 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: Not new
In earlier US history there was a time when all young men over a certain age were to own a musket with some minimum amount of ammo.

I wonder why THAT fell by the roadside.
Collapse -
Probably because needs change with the times
by Steven Haninger / March 8, 2013 10:45 PM PST

and the exercising of some constitutional rights depend on the needs of those times.

Collapse -
RE: It's a constitutional right to bear arms.
by JP Bill / March 8, 2013 11:38 PM PST

It's a constitutional ? to MAKE you bear arms?

Collapse -
Could be.
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2013 1:10 AM PST

The healthcare mandate passed the SCOTUS test. It was predicated on the government's right to tax. Call it another tax which might be a better deal. We'll need to make health insurance payments for the rest of our lives but a gun?...you might only need to buy that once.

Collapse -
Compare healthcare to requiring people to pack heat?
by JP Bill / March 9, 2013 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Could be.

OK fine.

Carry on.

Collapse -
Antibiotics to fend off internal nasties if/when they invade
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2013 3:53 AM PST

and bullets to fend off the external nasties if/when they invade.

Healthcare is about staying alive, well and uninjured...or so I'm led to believe...and the current thinking seems to be more about prevention than cure. We use medicines, bandages and splints when our health has been compromised. We use common sense and good preventive practices to stay away from compromising our health. I don't see why someone couldn't legitimately argue that having an antiseptic in the medicine cabinet and a weapon in the gun cabinet were both preventive measures related to their personal or family healthcare.

Collapse -
(NT) And Toni thinks I'm around the bend.
by JP Bill / March 9, 2013 4:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Hope I at least made you laugh
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2013 4:25 AM PST

Laughing is good. Making others laugh is even better.

Collapse -
You do realize that I was expressing the irony
by Steven Haninger / March 10, 2013 1:37 AM PST

in what I see that already passes for healthcare. At least I hope you do.

Collapse -
Have you read Catch-22?
by drpruner / March 14, 2013 5:51 AM PDT

At a pre-flight briefing someone mentions the rumored existence of a new German weapon: The LePage's glue gun. "It glues an entire flight of planes together in mid-air." Pretty soon the whole roomful of bomber crewmen is convinced it's a true report.
Happy

Collapse -
Nope. It's because
by drpruner / March 14, 2013 5:47 AM PDT

them 'young men' is crazy!
I'm a schoolteacher, remember.
Happy

Collapse -
I have to wonder how many casualties
by Steven Haninger / March 14, 2013 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope. It's because

there were with young men learning how to tamp down the powder, ball and cotton wad in those things. Could be that handling an AR-15 is safer for the one behind the trigger. Happy

Collapse -
I get the joke, but I'm thinking
by drpruner / March 15, 2013 6:46 AM PDT

another difference was more training and respect for the weapon. A boss of mine said he got sharpshooter marks in Army basic because he grew up on a farm with a chore of putting rabbit on the family table- with a single-shot .22. He learned not to miss, and I doubt he ever fired one of the expensive (for him) cartridges at anything inedible.

Collapse -
(NT) true, but I don't think they kept a standing military then
by Roger NC / March 8, 2013 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Not new
Collapse -
Apparently it wasn't felt that gun ownership

by the masses was a threat but rather an asset even though those muskets could have been used to rob or murder just as easily as for defense.

Collapse -
I still wonder how much crowding has to do with
by Roger NC / March 9, 2013 2:05 AM PST

crime in general, including murder.

Although the crime rate, population density, and transporation ease is not a direct constant ratio, when you had to walk to your next victim, or even ride a horse or horse drawn vehicle, it might cause reconsideration.

Collapse -
No doubt population density plays a role
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2013 3:37 AM PST

in the amount and type of crime. What bothers me is that so little of it seems to relate to actual need. We've heard of past times when food was the most common theft item. I can't say that's really historically true but it shouldn't be true today. There are systems in place, in our country anyway, that should prevent almost anyone from needing to steal just to get a meal. Population density will increase neighborhood disputes and some of these do turn violent but it seems obvious that our real and scariest problem is drugs and drug abuse. Police are able to handle routine criminal activity such as neighborhood disturbances, drunkards, etc. but haven't been able to have much affect on controlling drug related crime. Of course the purveyors of these drugs will go where their potential customers will be found and that will be in the cities with the greatest number of otherwise non-working adults who are available and eager to assist in the distribution of them.

Collapse -
(NT) In fact, isn't gun use about reducing density?
by drpruner / March 14, 2013 5:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
You mean as in
by Steven Haninger / March 14, 2013 6:03 AM PDT

culling the herd? Perhaps war is one natural means of population control, without which, we'd already be outahere.

Collapse -
Yeah, except the shooter always gets to decide
by drpruner / March 15, 2013 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: You mean as in

what "culling" is under each circumstance. Happy

Collapse -
population pressures certainly have started wars
by Roger NC / March 15, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: You mean as in

of conquering new terriotory and assets. And reduce the pressure at the same time I guess.

Collapse -
well we could do like some
by Roger NC / March 9, 2013 2:11 AM PST

require everyone reaching adult hood to take military training and be a part of the reserves.

Or like some fiction, require military service to qualfiy for full citizenship.

Either would take care of proper training. Either would should also guareentee a sufficient fighting force as needed available for call up.

Collapse -
Like Switzerland. Every male has to do military service and
by Ziks511 / March 10, 2013 1:25 AM PST

serve in the reserves afterwards, unless disabled. I'm still surprised my Dad didn't get called up in the Korean War. I remember he was expecting it, particularly the longer the conflict stretched on. Ted Williams was called up, and flew combat there.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) not just males, that's discrimination
by Roger NC / March 10, 2013 9:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Think of it as another form of health insurance
by Steven Haninger / March 8, 2013 11:06 PM PST

made mandatory by government.

Collapse -
Would you move to a city that didn't have weapon possession
by JP Bill / March 9, 2013 5:53 AM PST

as a requirement of residency, or would you take up arms?

I don't have to have a weapon in the house and I'll shoot anyone that says I do?

Collapse -
It would be if the NRA gets its way
by Josh K / March 8, 2013 11:35 PM PST

Of course they're not pushing for that because they think it's necessary -- they're pushing for it because it sells guns, which makes them money.

I don't have any desire to live in an armed camp. If that's your idea of how to live, join the army.

Collapse -
Apparently it's not as you seem to make it.
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2013 1:29 AM PST
http://factcheck.org/2013/01/do-assault-weapons-sales-pay-nra-salaries/

I've not been to gun store to make a purchase so I cannot verify what happens during the sale but this says that purchasers might be asked to "round up" the cost of their purchase to support the NRA in a similar way that other stores support causes. It's all voluntary, right? No one is forcing the customer to contribute and none that is contributed goes to pay salaries. Rather it supports safety programs and such. From what I understand, the NRA is the biggest gun safety instructor in the country. That can't be all bad. Perhaps you'd like to put them out of existence but do you have a backup plan to offer what they do?
Collapse -
I wasn't even aware....
by Josh K / March 9, 2013 8:10 AM PST

.....that some thought that the NRA was getting a cut of every sale. What I meant was that the NRA gets a lot of its funding from gun manufacturers in the form of contributions, corporate memberships, things like that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.