Desktops forum

General discussion

AMD Processor Reliability

by marketwatcher / October 28, 2005 3:43 AM PDT

I intend on purchasing a HP desktop system running a AMD Athlon 64...3700 processor. My previous system used Intel processor. Is this AMD processor as reliable as the Intel Processor? I understand that the one major difference between the AMD and Intel is price. There is also some chatter alluding to the fact that the AMD 64 is prone to hardlocks. Does anyone have the facts on these issues?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD Processor Reliability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD Processor Reliability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just asking. How do we nail this one down?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2005 4:36 AM PDT

The office has more than a handful Athlon 64s and no more lockups than any other (Intel) desktops.

Can you craft a test that I could run to measure this one?

PS. Writing from my Athlon 64 machine.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I googled "Pentium vs. AMD"....WOW!!
by jackintucson / October 28, 2005 5:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
by cm2gj / November 3, 2005 8:04 PM PST

I use AMD from years! and is as fast and as stable compared with any Intel CPU. Most of my friends have systems with AMD procesors and everybody is happy!

Collapse -
by lykos / November 3, 2005 8:49 PM PST
In reply to: AMD!

I had a compaq Pressario(leas than 2 years old with an AMD processor that used too lock up specially while playing games. I repalced the motherboard for an Intel processor and I haven't had any lock up since.

Collapse -
That was the computer
by whipdancer / November 3, 2005 10:02 PM PST

not the processor.

You need to learn to separate the quality of the machine built from the specific components inside the machine.

I've built a multitude of machines. The last 3 AMD. I will never pay Intel's premium again.

Collapse -
by sharee100 / November 3, 2005 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: That was the computer

I have built 3 computers - all with AMD. Other components have needed replacement. AMD - never. Buy from good dealer and get a good heatsink fan. You won't regret it. Although some cases say they only work with pentium (Lian Li). So, check out your case, too.

Collapse -
Never say never?
by critofur / November 10, 2009 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: That was the computer

RE: "I'll never pay Intel's price premium again..."

Ha, AMD was surely the price performance leader, and even the performance champ for a while there.

But, since then, sometimes Intel has been the price/performance leader once again. And, they've won back the king of the hill top performance spot too.

I hope AMD has something in the works to kick Intel in the pants again, but, maybe that's wishful thinking? It's not "hammer time" anymore Sad

Collapse -
Don't be surprised if there's no response..the post
by VAPCMD / November 10, 2009 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Never say never?

you're responding to is 4 years old.

Collapse -
by 5ron5 / November 4, 2005 1:35 AM PST

I to have owned my AMD for quit some time & have only had to replace a hard drive w/a new one, because I filled the old one up! That is the only thing I've had to do to mine! A very reliably machine it has been! In fact, all I used to hear about the AMD, besides being a much more inexpensive way to go, is that compared to intel, both being equal, the AMD being much more faster than the intel.Also reliable. So going w/AMD, as far as I'm concerned, is the best way to go! You shouldn't be disappointed at all!

Collapse -
AMD 64 boxed with heatsink & fan
by 109 / November 7, 2005 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: AMD !

In April 2005 I bought the AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ S939 in their retail box with heatsink & fan. Comes with a 3-year AMD warranty. Absolutely no problems and no worry about whether I have picked the right cooling combination. But I don't go for overclocking.

Collapse -
I have too but...
by PKsteven / November 4, 2005 2:22 PM PST

I have AMD also and it has ran perfectly for 7 years now, but niether my or your statement matters really since that was 32 bit not 64 like the person is asking. The 64 did have lock up issues or something along that line but was supposed to have a fix for it. I think it had something to do with 32 bit apps not running properly more than a lockup of the cpu.

Collapse -
dual intel versus Amd
by seabee69m / December 3, 2005 2:40 AM PST

I finally feel that amd has been given some respect.
the 7 benchmark tests run on dual processors showed
exactly what I beleived all along. That Intel a good
processor was over rated and overpriced. Maybe now we
may see a bit more balance in the use of amd.

Collapse -
AMD with HT
by bcrawford / November 3, 2005 10:14 PM PST

Hey BOB,

Your company might be using processors that are not designed to do the multitasking that most offices require. You should try upgrading to a processor with HT or the more recent Dual Core technology. Or you could simply instruct your staff not to run more than a few applications at a time.

Collapse -
He, he he.... don't make me laugh...
by Mendieta / November 7, 2005 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: AMD with HT

I've built several computers because I own a computer store since 1993, and i have personally used AMD based computers since AMD K-6, AMD proccessors are excellent, cheap, reliable, and faster than Intel ones.

Don't you know that a computer can freeze because of bad memory modules?, underpowered Power supply?, Defective motherboard?, virus?, spyware, etc. etc. etc.

As i can see you are just supposing. When you assure something, first you "MUST" be certain of what you say, you can't just suppose and assure starting from a not proven fact.

Speaking of Dual Core chips, AMD proccesors are technologically more advanced than intel's , do you know that AMD proccesors do much more operations for each clock cycle?, do you know that a 64 bit proccesor (AMD 64's) proccess double quantity of information than 32 bit proccesors (Pentium IV)?

Don't make laugh....

Collapse -
AMD or Intel
by baddog6915 / November 4, 2005 12:15 AM PST

I am like you and believe that the brands or similar unless you are a gamer and then the AMD FX processor is a better chip. I cannot think of any other difference except for gaming. I use my AMD for gaming and I have two other computers with an Intel and an AMD respectively. The 64 bit is over rated right now since there are not any programs built to take advantage of the processor.

Collapse -
no 64-bit software???
by piercedtiger / November 4, 2005 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: AMD or Intel

Windows XP 64 is available as well as 64 versions of linux (I think Windows 2003 Server has a 64 bit version too).

Try running 64-bit versions of Debian with access to archives of software converted over to 64 bit (64-bit Firefox for exampl).

They are out there. You just need to look.

Collapse -
AMD or Intel
by gts / November 4, 2005 3:16 AM PST

Though that is true that the OS and programs really do not take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture, it still is faster than the 32 bit chips. I have a HP desktop with a 2.8Ghz P5-HT and a HP notebook with a 3200(2Ghz) Athlon 64. For crunching video stuff, it is faster on the Athlon than my P5.

I haven't had any problems with locks on the Athlon. It actually runs cooler and faster than my other Dell notebook with an Intel Centrino chip.

Collapse -
by Mendieta / November 7, 2005 6:11 PM PST

There is no 64 bit software?, wrong.....

I know there is not too much 64 bit software, but you said "there is no 64 bit software"...

There is 64 bit WIndows XP, several Linux Versions are 64 bits too, and there are several 64 bit applications.

Collapse -
AMD Very Reliable - HP is Not!
by dlauber / November 4, 2005 12:28 AM PST

I've been using PCs since 1981 and have built about 60 of them in the past few years. I've stuck exclusively to AMD processors and have been thrilled with them. Not one has ever been defective. You probably don't remember the several "scandals" with defectively-designed Intel processors -- but essentially AMD processors have a clean slate when it comes to reliability and no defects while Intel has been problematic for years. AMD has also taken the technology lead.
The real disaster you are courting is getting a computer made by HP (and that includes Compaq). HP has a nasty tendency to cut corners and remove features from the motherboards it uses in its computers. And it's tech support is the bottom of the barrel. For example, when a friend had me help him update the BIOS on his HP computer, we followed the somewhat strange instructions on HP's website for installing the BIOS update. Following their instructions corrupted the CMOS. Normally this is easily solved by resetting a jumper on the motherboard. But to save a few cents in manufacturing, HP did not include the pins and jumper for clearing the CMOS. After an hour of talking to a very nasty person at HP tech support, she finally admitted that the instructions on HP's website had been wrong for at least 3 months, but it wasn't tech support's responsibility to get it corrected. They had to send my friend a new computer.
And just this month it was revealed that HP's notebooks that use the AMD64 processor were being built with the Dual Channel RAM disabled. HP spokesmen said that they did this because they couldn't trust consumers who wished to add more RAM to get the right RAM modules. Now many folks know that AMD64 processors and their motherboards all support Dual Channel RAM (which runs much faster than single channel). But nowhere does HP tell perspective customers that Dual Channel RAM is disabled on these notebooks.
The only HP products I've even owned that worked well and lasted have been their overpriced laser printers. My 8-year old LaserJet 4000 is, unfortunately, on its last legs, and I know darned well that it will not be replaced with an HP printer.
Bottom line: Friends don't let friends buy HP.
Better to buy from Gateway, (where you can configure your computer piece by piece -- go for the Asus motherboards since they can also use the AMD Dual Core CPUs which will be affordable in a year or two),, or have one made for you locally.

Collapse -
um...hard locks?
by ozos / October 29, 2005 8:41 AM PDT

you might be thinking of the OC'ing community frustration with the AthlonXP's produced post week 39 of 2003 (!!!) that are super-locked from the factory, but that means the multipliers cannot be adjusted, but as a note Intel has been doing this since Pentium II on ALL PROCESSORS that they make, with the exception of the ES and I think the EE might feature a somewhat adjustable multi

AMD leaves the A64 FX unlocked

oh and bob, maybe running 20-30 copies of FarCry while compiling LOTR 3 Director's Cut into DivX 10 times over from 10 seperate DVD drives, that might test which one is more reliable to crash...

Collapse -
AMD Processor Reliability And F.U.D.
by jcrobso / October 31, 2005 4:47 AM PST

Fear, Uncerenty, Doubt.
Are tactics used to disparage a competor,AKA AMD.
All of my AMDs are working great running 24/7 no lockups.

Collapse -
AMD experience
by marklo / November 3, 2005 6:46 PM PST

I have had an A64 3200 (self build) for over a year now. It's probably the most stable system I've ever owned. (previous 11 PC's were all Intels except for 1 Cyrix)

I know 2 other peolple with A64's and 2 with Athlon XP's, all without issue.

Collapse -
Reply to: AMD Processor Reliability
by emuelle1 / November 3, 2005 7:31 PM PST

I've had several AMD chips. I bought an Athlon 800Mhz chip in 2000 when I upgraded from my Intel Pentium II. In 2002, I bought the Athlon 1.7Ghz chip that my desktop currently runs. I was experiencing a lot of lockups on both chips for a while there, but those turned out to be Windows ME related as the problems went away when I upgraded to Windows XP.

My wife's laptop runs an AMD Sempron 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz processor.

One of the reasons that I switched to AMD, besides price, is that AMD had hired an engineer from Digital Equipment Corp. (bought by Compaq which was bought by HP). DEC was known for their 200Mhz bus and 64 bit processors while Intel was getting to 32 bit. I figured with a DEC engineer running the show, the Athlon chip might have some of their fine engineering behind it. I have never been disappointed.

Collapse -
AMD all the way.!
by GotThumbs / November 3, 2005 7:48 PM PST

Except for my first computer...486DX2, all my computers have been powered by AMD. Any lockups you may experience will be due to your OS install and any programs that have been installed. I've built many AMD powered systems for family and friends and relucktantly built two Intel systems and those systems cost way more than any AMD system. Do yourself a favor and build your own system. There are many resources on the web ( and many reputable vendors ( Its quite rewarding. Many store systems try to wow you with lots of additional software you'll never use.

Collapse -
My experience with AMD CPUs
by jsmumma / November 3, 2005 7:48 PM PST

I purchased a desktop system assembled locally in early 1999 that had an AMD K6-2 running at 300 MHz. The system was used heavily by two high school students, by my wife (a teacher), and by me (an engineer). It was also used to run various Linux distributions (Red Hat, Suse, Caldera) in dual-boot (LILO) configurations with Windows. Today it is running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 that was an upgrade from the original Windows 98 (not SE). It is used almost entirely for word processing with Microsoft Works 4.5 by my wife. It is left on all the time to save startup time and because it has an attached laser printer that can be accessed over our home network from other systems.

Around August 1999 my college-bound daughter purchased a Compaq Presario 1237 laptop (from Radio Shack) that had an AMD K6 266 MHz MMX(tm) enhanced processor. This was more than adequate for her purposes at college. The lower CPU cost offset the higher cost of the far superior (to HPA) active-matrix TFT display and three-spindle (hard drive, CD-ROM drive, and floppy drive) configuration. The system came with Windows 98. It was connected to the college's network using Novell drivers and a 3COM PCMCIA NIC. She still has it and it still works.

In October 2001 I took the plunge and bought myself an HP Pavilion N5425 notebook computer. It has a 900-MHz AMD Athlon. This has been my main computer for the past four years. It came with Windows XP Home Edition and has been upgraded to SP2. I run all sorts of applications on it: Microsoft Office XP (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Visio, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Borland C++ Builder 5 (C/C++ software development), Scilab, Winamp, iTunes, Musicmatch Jukebox, Windows Media Player 10, RealPlayer, DivX Player, TextPad, Source Edit, Snag-It, TurboTax, Norton Ghost 9.0, Norton Internet Security (AntiVirus, Personal Firewall), Norton AntiSpam, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Java VM, STEEM (Atari ST Emulator), Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.5, N4PY control software for my Ten-Tec Argonaut V amateur radio transceiver, DigiPan PSK31 software, and all manner of tools and utilities (some written by me). It all works. The only problems I have had with this HP notebook PC are related to progressive failure of the cable between the display and the rest of the system, which leads me to the next AMD-based computer.

I recently ordered an HP Pavilion zv6000 series notebook with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0 GHz) CPU. When this arrives, it will become my main computer. My old HP notebook will then go in for surgery (under my soldering iron) to see if I can get the diplay running again. However, even if I can't, I can still use it with an external monitor, as I am doing right now! (Prior to this bump in the road, I was using the internal display as "1" and the external display as "2" in a dual-monitor extended desktop arrangement.)

Based upon my experience (both past and anticipated future), you should be OK with AMD CPUs, at least in terms of system availability. And remember, reliability (MTBF) is only one component of availability, which is what we users really care about. The other major component is repair time (MTTR), which is probably the more significant of the two. Overall, I have had good experiences with HP products over the years. Also, when HP uses AMD processors they know that they are staking THEIR reputation on that decision.

Collapse -
by psytropic / November 3, 2005 9:37 PM PST

Just do research on the web. Gamers all user Athlon64's. My reccomendation would be a San Diego/Venice core (newest Socket 939 core). Unless your a hardcore gamer, then get an Athlon64 X2 When building gamer machines, AMD's SPANK Intel. You have a bigger selection of chipsets, until recently the nVidia nForce chipsets were only available for AMD. Now nVidia makes an nForce4 chipset for Intel but it is alot slower than the AMD counterpart.

I have been using AMD for a long time. Ever since they bought NexGen. Best chips on the market. Intel is hyped, slower, and more expensive. I don't know about you, but faster and cheaper (with the same amount of stability) sounds better to me.

Collapse -
You're in for a Surprise - No Dual Channel RAM
by dlauber / November 4, 2005 12:47 AM PST

Your new HP Pavilion zv6000 series notebook with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ sounds great -- but if you were expecting the dual channel RAM that AMD64 processors support, you're in for a big disappointment. HP has disabled this capability on its notebooks because, according to its spokesperson, HP does not think consumers who wish to upgrade their RAM are capable of buying RAM that matches (which is crucial for dual channel memory). SO if you were counting on that feature, you might want to reconsider HP.

A pretty good alternative is the Gateway MX7515 notebook with 15" widescreen, AMD64 4000+ CPU, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB hard drive, DVD RW drive, ATI Radeon Mobility X660 video, Windows XP Home (a downside) etc. which Best Buy has been selling for as little as $1199. Not only does it have a real manual, but the two times I had to call tech support with really technical questions, a live person anwsered within 25 seconds.

Collapse -
mx7515 dual channel memory
by jtjr / November 28, 2005 4:58 PM PST

Not sure if the mx7515 runs dual channel ram. Been looking at the specs on different sites and only listed as 1gig DDR not DDR2. Assuming DDR2 is dual channel memory.

Collapse -
AMD? Yess
by Osman / November 3, 2005 8:21 PM PST

I have an old Compaq laptop, with AMD K6-2 still running fine for 7 years, a selfbuilt desktop with AMD Athlon XP 2500+ for 3 years, working almost nonstop without any crash at all, and a new selfbuilt desktop with AMD64 3000+ which is working superbly for a year. Will this help?

Collapse -
No problems with AMD
by Snorri / November 3, 2005 8:46 PM PST

I have had several AMD processors over the years. This is being done on an eMachine with an AMD 64. I have never had any problems with them. I think other factors are more important than who made the processor.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.