Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Amazon Downloader uninstall / download problems

by dmtinker / February 19, 2011 12:53 AM PST

I installed Amazon Downloader (AD) and hated it. It worked fine, I just didn't like how it worked i.e creating several directory levels for each song. So, I uninstalled it. Unfortunately, when I buy an mp3, I no longer get prompted to open or save the MP3 file, the song automatically downloads a .amz file and I get a windows message saying Vista does not know what to do with the file. This is irritating because I have Firefox set to prompt me for downloads (v3.6) but it doesn't, and I don't think AD uninstalled correctly or there's something on the Amazon side that didn't get changed back. Amazon has been no help as I keep getting canned responses to my problems. I was on the phone with them and went through the whole clearing my cookies/cache which worked for a day. A day later it's doing it again. Also, it's doing it no matter which browser I use. IE, Opera, Safari etc..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amazon Downloader uninstall / download problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amazon Downloader uninstall / download problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think AD uninstalled correctly. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

When I see the AMZ Vista does not know what to do with the file, this tells me that AD is uninstalled.

Collapse -
Amazon downloader sucks
by dmtinker / March 13, 2011 8:56 AM PDT

Yes, I thnk it did too. I need to find out where it stores the info on the default download type, I cleared the coomies and cashe which worked till I restarted the browser. I think there is a setting on Amaron's side that doesn't get reset

Collapse -
where it stores the info on the default download type,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2011 9:20 AM PDT

From what I read it's on your account.

Collapse -
same problem.
by aka-decoy / March 16, 2011 7:45 PM PDT

I have the same problem. Downloader works fine, but who needs it to be filed away 2 folders deep under artist and album when you only download 1 frickin' song?!? I have tried to contact amazon and apparently they are no help. I have uninstalled multiple times and nothing ever works. I have noticed though, that under "internet options" - "applications" on firefox, the "amazon digital music download" extension is still active. I'm currently looking for how to delete/deactivate applications in the browser. Perhaps we need to make that extension foreign to out browsers. If you find anything, please let me know!

If anyone else knows, please let us know!

Windows 7
Mozilla Firefox
Amazon mp3 Downloader

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.