Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

Amazing . . .

by Coryphaeus / February 27, 2013 5:47 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amazing . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amazing . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's taking so long?
by JP Bill / February 28, 2013 1:24 AM PST

In September 2011, Brenda Brinsdon, then 15, and her classmates were asked to stand up and recite the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance during Spanish class at Achieve Early College High School. When she refused, the teacher gave her an alternate assignment to write about an essay about the independence of Mexico, which she failed, according to the lawsuit.

Collapse -
(NT) The Texas judicial system maybe?
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: What's taking so long?
Collapse -
RE: The Texas judicial system maybe?
by JP Bill / February 28, 2013 4:08 AM PST

The FIRST step is filing a lawsuit...Her parents didn't do that until Feb 2013.

Is that the fault of the Texas Judicial System?

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 3:09 PM

Updated: Feb 27, 2013 3:32 PM

McALLEN - A McAllen High School student gained national attention two years ago after she refused to recite the Mexican pledge of allegiance. Her father on Wednesday filed a federal lawsuit against the McAllen Independent School District.

Collapse -
Not knowing the actual facts
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 7:56 AM PST

of lawsuits filed, I wonder if they tried to file a civil case locally first and either dropped it themselves or it was thrown out by the local justice. Many times, the ACLU will get involved and advise someone where the best recourse is. Just guessing on my part.......

Collapse -
Okay, here's what I picked out:
by drpruner / March 5, 2013 5:49 AM PST

"Her conscience and patriotism would not allow her to participate in the assignment"
Conscience matters include religion, as we and many of our teachers well know. The battles were fought during the Wars. Nowadays, typically, our kid comes home upset over the "punishment" for pledge refusal; the parents call one of our elders; he gives a copy of a particular paper in his files to the parents; they take it to school; the principal turns pale; the teacher is called in and re-educated. End of story.
To me a political conscience = a religious one, for the purposes of national issues, but I don't know if our case precedences would apply or not.

New topic: if it's like that now, in this case, what will it be like in the near future?

Collapse -
The school system, and her parents...
by Pepe7 / February 28, 2013 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: What's taking so long?

...have failed her, unfortunately. A bilingual girl at 15 was unable/chose not to complete a simple essay assignment.

Even if she doesn't agree with the topic/sitution, she should have been taught enough by her parents to realize the importance of completing her school assignments.

Collapse -
I didn't trust those either :-)
by Josh K / February 28, 2013 2:03 AM PST

Most were also right-wing sites, so I Googled it myself and found this:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/education/Texas-high-school-students-say-Mexican-pledge-sing-anthem-One-refuses-134287008.html

Apparently it was part of a lesson on Mexican culture. The school board's refusal to comment would suggest that the teacher did go a bit far. I really don't see what all the uproar is though. The girl was apparently offered an alternative assignment, which she failed. It's not like they were asked to pledge allegiance to North Korea.

If the Blue Jays come to town to play the Rangers, they play "O Canada" on the PA system. I'm not aware of anyone taking offense.

Collapse -
but the insinuation is that the teacher
by Roger NC / February 28, 2013 6:29 AM PST

failed her regardless of the quality of her work on the alternative assignment.

I'm not saying that happened, but after reading a couple of accounts, I certainly felt those particular accounts were trying to implant that in the reader's mind just below the top level.

Collapse -
I hope so too
by James Denison / February 27, 2013 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Amazing . . .

What we really need is a wholesale house cleaning of the educational institutions in this country, both administrative and teachers. Too many are becoming castles of anti-American propaganda.

Collapse -
(NT) so what's going on in Texas? this is two stories this week?
by Roger NC / February 27, 2013 8:52 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Don't know, but it's bothering me.
by Coryphaeus / February 27, 2013 11:35 PM PST
Collapse -
Amazing . . .
by margaux8 / March 4, 2013 2:25 PM PST

Really amazing.. Thanks for sharing Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.