Computer Help forum

Question

am an artist. I need to drag a pic in to email.

by signpntr / October 20, 2012 10:31 PM PDT

LIVE is not working. Will not take the drag and drop. Need to find another program. AND be told how to switch this to be my default program.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promo link which is not necessary for topic at hand on 10/22/2012 at 10:37 AM PT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: am an artist. I need to drag a pic in to email.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: am an artist. I need to drag a pic in to email.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That is because
by Jimmy Greystone / October 20, 2012 11:17 PM PDT

That is because you can't simply drag and drop images into an email, they need to be attached like any other file. Alternately you can link them like on a web page, but then they need to be hosted somewhere.

Collapse -
Answer
So why not Chrome and GMail?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 2:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
just tried to d & d into a gmail reply.
by signpntr / October 21, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

It took up the upper corner and obliterated the email form. Turned it into just a tab w/ a path and the attachment id.

Collapse -
Trying it now. Works fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 5:02 AM PDT

Did you remember to click on Rich Text first?

Collapse -
no
by signpntr / October 21, 2012 8:52 AM PDT

now it turns out I can't have gmail my default on Vista.

Collapse -
now that's just confusing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: no

Gmail is not an app. It's a mail service. To meet your requirement I figured that all options were on the table so I thought OK, let's find a way.

I found a way.

Can you tell what you mean by "gmail by default"?
bob

Collapse -
I'm a beginner. I've never had an app.
by signpntr / October 21, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

I wanted to make gmail my default email because it allows that big picture. By default I mean I want it to come up when I hit the email button in a website. Yes I downloaded the gmail notifier. Will now go try the icon one.

Collapse -
That's a NEW REQUIREMENT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 10:16 AM PDT

I don't see where you wanted to support the MAILTO tag in a web link.

Here's what I read in your first post "I need to drag a pic in to email."

I can do that. So case closed.

Edward noted Gmail Notifier but as you know, MAILTO is going away.
" This should still work to set gmail as the mailto handler and give you the Notifier. I never got the messenging API fully working.and now Microsoft is getting rid if it."

Maybe Windows is not the right system for you?
Bob

Collapse -
If you have a gmail account ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 21, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: no

you can set gmail as your default email application using gmail icon notifier (as opposed to the original gmail notifier).

Here is a link from which you can download it and read about it and what others say about it in Viswta:
http://www.williamrandol.com/GmailIconNotifier.htm

Collapse -
sorry-I'm absolutely lost
by signpntr / October 21, 2012 10:49 AM PDT

downloaded icon notifier. Can't find what I'm supposed to do next. I read about people and Vista so I see it can work. I just don't see how

Collapse -
It's not just Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 11:47 AM PDT

If you read the comments you see it's author lamenting the removal of the API from the OS.

Next time can you reveal exactly what you want to do? I see we have a solution for your first question. Later you add more requirements.
Bob

Collapse -
I didn't realize I was talking with someone new.
by signpntr / October 21, 2012 1:01 PM PDT

I'm 60. I never used that as an excuse before just now. I downloaded the icon N but don't know what I do next. I think the other guy has given up on me. He might turn me in for being dense.

Collapse -
Not that at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 2:17 PM PDT

You supplied what you wanted to do and I'll look to find a way.

If you change what you wanted later then my solution is then gone and we have to start over.

I'll think about another way.
Bob

Collapse -
What file did you download?
by Edward ODaniel / October 21, 2012 2:34 PM PDT

was it this one Gmail icon notifier setup.exe

or this one Gmail icon notifier patcher.exe

You should have downloaded the first one and only use the second one if you have a problem.

After downloading the setup file you double click on it to start the installation of the application then you follow the setup instructions. Can't lead you step by step as I have no intention of installing it and don't have Vista anyway.

If that has you confused you might try this one instead:
http://home.b2labs.com/b2-gmail-notifier-freeware-animated-gmail-notifier

With that one you also have to download and install Adobe Air and the download links are both on the link I offered above this paragraph.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.