Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

alternatives to pay pal

by ChelleBG33 / January 28, 2005 5:03 AM PST

i'm setting up a website for a non profit org. and i want to include a way for site visitors to "e-donate." the pay pal donations button would be perfect. however, while doing my research i've heard bad things about pay pal and don't want to do anything that would negatively effect the credit cards or pockets of those kind souls that donate. i also don't want to make it harder for the org. to get funds...that would defeat the purpose of having the link in the first place.

the problem is i haven't heard of any alternatives. does anyone know what alternatives i would have besides just asking for payments to be mailed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: alternatives to pay pal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: alternatives to pay pal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A huge area
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2005 8:17 PM PST
Collapse -
You Have Got To Be Kidding Me
by LuvNLife / June 27, 2005 9:47 PM PDT

How in the name of all that's Holy can someone come in here and post such a blatant lie?

I suppose the poster forgot to mention that anyone signing up with his link puts more people under him in this newest spin on an MLM, or as it's popularly know, a pyramid scheme. If this person made a single spendable nickel, it was off of referrals like he has posted here. The ''money'' the poster refers to is what GreenZap calls Webcash; a currency they created that's only good between members and with ''select'' vendors which don't quite exist yet. By the way, if/when they do exist, those vendors will overcharge for their goods, so your Webcash discount is worthless. GreenZap safe and secure? You're right, they are. As a matter of fact, it's been so secure for the past week roughly 1000 people couldn't get to their real cash to withdraw it. Why? Some hacked the site and created literally millions of dollars in fake Webcash. Real secure. Oh, did the poster mention it'll cost you $100.00 via money order or check to get anywhere close to the fees of PayPal, and the fact that for those that did sign up, their $$$ is sitting in limbo somewhere? Oh, the poster forgot to mention you can't use credit cards with GreenZap - I'm sure that makes everyone more comfortable.

Again, this is NOT U.S. currency; it's nothing more than intenet funny money.

Now, ask the previous poster for the details of his PayPal scam. Let's all hear just what he was selling, to whom, the terms, and so on. PayPal doesn't make a habit out of locking down accounts of totally legit customers.

For any of you with a few hours on your hand, read this thread:

If that doesn't tell you enough all on it's own, go to GreenZap's own website: www.ZapToday.com

Collapse -
Now tell the truth
by biggfredd / June 27, 2005 11:02 PM PDT

"I signed up with GreenZap a while ago and I already have almost $400 from them all from telling people about GreenZap!"

Now explain to people that the $400 isn't actually money, but a thing called webcash, which can be spent almost nowhere, and if used according to the examples on the GreenZap site, will cost you more than if you went out and bought the same items without using webcash.

The "free" $25 isn't anything but more of this webcash.

As for PayPal being a scam, the largest and most read thread ever on scam.com is about GreenZap:

Collapse -
Did you ever get an answer
by slceravolo / August 6, 2005 9:02 AM PDT

This thread imploded, but I have the exact same question and haven't been able to get an answer

Collapse -
Merchant Processing
by MemberX / December 16, 2005 1:41 AM PST

There are tons of options out there for merchant processing. Pay Pal is an absolute RIP OFF! Their fees start at 3% and most people won't pay you through Pay Pal because of their bad history of charge backs.
You want to get a BANK to process your credit cards.
You can get very good rates from Humboldt Merchant Services. They can get you a merchant account and if you want, setup a gateway at a discount.
Rates are less than 2.25% for internet accounts.
Call at 866-754-7449, or click here:

Collapse -
paypal horror stories
by sbeena40 / April 1, 2010 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Merchant Processing

I have heard paypal freezes your account for no reasons

Collapse -
Amazon.com, believe it or not...
by amg503 / January 4, 2006 11:36 PM PST
Collapse -
Merchant Account
by Georgerosenberg / January 28, 2010 3:34 PM PST

Well, there are various merchant account providers. Today many good one have come with lot of facilities and improvements.So we have to do little research and find the one that suits us.

Collapse -
paypal and googlecheck out is always an IOU
by sbeena40 / February 10, 2010 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Merchant Account

and U in that IOU is always YOU / YOURSELF

Collapse -
choose anybody
by medavidjohn / July 27, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

but Google checkout. I have experienced firsthand Google check out horror stories

Collapse -
by JoeHeller / August 3, 2010 2:37 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.