Samsung forum

Question

Allshare and DLNA problem

by bonjurkes / September 7, 2011 7:14 AM PDT

I am having 2 different issues with my new Samsung 40d5000 led tv.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Allshare and DLNA problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Allshare and DLNA problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Be sure your router firewall is off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 7:23 AM PDT

It blocks such things too often.
Bob

Collapse -
router solution doesnt work
by bonjurkes / September 7, 2011 7:42 AM PDT

Both laptops use same router, so shouldn't be an issue about it but turned off all firewall settings of router and still same

Collapse -
Then other firewalls.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 7:48 AM PDT

There is a discussion about more than one play to source and issues about that but the files not showing continues to be either content that is not compatible (that's a longer discussion) or is not accessible to the server software app.

For example on my machine I opted to "make my files private" and by doing so block the access to such a server app.

Sadly this stuff is fairly technical and requires consumers to do a lot more than plug it in.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Allshare and DLNA problem
by RamsellSam / February 19, 2012 2:15 AM PST

Hello,

Collapse -
Your solution saved my day
by angyy10 / September 3, 2012 4:16 PM PDT

Wow, the uncompress workaround really works!!!

I found that if you wish your files stay compressed, you can include the folder as library in Windows Media Player, then Allshare will be able to pick it up as well.

Collapse -
GRRR
by dmitche3 / December 16, 2012 3:25 AM PST

I spent weeks trying to figure this out. I contacted SamDUNG and they had no knowledge of it. The tech support probably was the same monkeys that are typing out the works of William Shakespeare.

I could only see the folders under SamDung's AllShare server until the video and mp3 files were uncompressed. Sad
I just wish that I could have found this thread before lossing my mind.

Collapse -
Answer
Try different dlna server
by Coldboots / February 19, 2012 10:27 AM PST

The Allshare PC software from Samsung works for me but there is software out there that is much better for sharing and transcoding content. Try Serviio, you will find that it will automatically transcode content that does not play natively on either the D or C series tvs. You still need to set the folders that you have content in to make them visible to the Allshare in the tv firmware.

From your description it sounds like the laptop that does not make the folders content visible most likely shows up as just your laptop on the tv. Try the "a" button (red one) on the remote to see if there is a different DLNA server other than the default WMP server. The Allshare software should show up as a different DLNA server.

When I boot up my Windows 7 pc my tv sees three different servers. Windows media player DLNA, Allshare (on the PC) and Serviio. Windows media player is essentially useless, PC Allshare sends content that will play but is useless for some content...Serviio does everything well and the current version, .6.2 has internet radio and video capability with full transcoding to correct settings for all Samsung series tvs and BD players.

On my laptop I run Linux with Serviio only, so it does everything without confusion or another useless native DLNA server like the one built in to WMP getting in the way. Grin

Collapse -
Don't use AllShare
by Andy Holman / February 19, 2012 2:23 PM PST

Agree with Coldboots - use another DLNA server such as Serviio or Mezzmo (my favorite) and you wont look back. Uninstall AllShare - it's terrible.

Collapse -
Answer
Regional Settings
by mkaradas / November 28, 2012 3:09 AM PST

I tried everyting from adding exceptions to firewall policy, disabling firewall, completely uninstalling firewall, changing compatibility mode, setting privilages as administrator, etc. None worked. The solution is kind of odd, yet it worked for me: changing regional settings format to English !

Hope it helps someone who is looking for a solution Happy

Collapse -
Thanks
by EzerchE / February 13, 2013 5:22 PM PST
In reply to: Regional Settings

Thats it! Thank you! This is the solution Happy Resolves the Empty Folder issue for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.