Computer Help forum

General discussion

All video media players freeze when watching a movie.

by canman172 / January 7, 2011 10:56 PM PST

I am going nuts. When trying to watch a movie on WMP, Media center, Quick player, VLC, winamp, etc all programs freeze. Trying to find a solution block comes up. If I hit any keys during this process windows explorer freezes and a reboot is necessary. I have tried uninstalling divx and xvid. Tried Mr. Fix it. Tried clean boot. Tried restore. Updated drivers. Nothing works. I turned off acceleration in VLC. Cannot turn off acceleration on my graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. My system is a Dell Studio XPS operating Win 7. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All video media players freeze when watching a movie.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All video media players freeze when watching a movie.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by pgc3 / January 7, 2011 11:52 PM PST

Are you streaming video or is this when using media?

Collapse -
Video Players freezing
by canman172 / January 8, 2011 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Freezing

This is when using media. Copied files and DVDs.

Collapse -
All video media players freeze when watching a movie
by gunned / September 8, 2011 12:07 AM PDT

Same thing happens with me as well. You may use any player and it still freezes. i am using a lenovo ideapad Y550 with intel core 2 duo processor P7450 @ 2.13Ghz with 4 GB Ram, its a 64 bit operating sys having NVidia GE Force GT 240M display driver.
Very frustrated with this as cannot watch a complete movie at all.
Please need help for this guys...
I have done SFC scan and found no integrity problems, dont know what else to do???

Collapse -
We Start By Eliminating Problem Areas..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 12:57 AM PDT

1. Uninstall any unnecessary programs, including duplicate antivirus programs, etc. which hog resources and processing power.. Disable unnecessary startup programs and services as well by accessing "services.msc" and "msconfig" and disabling those items which don't need to constantly run in the background.

You should be able to determine any culprits by disabling that particular program from running.. A common source of such is your antivirus/antimalware. Try disabling it temporarily.

2. You don't mention WHICH 64 bit operating system you're using but make sure you have the correct & updated drivers for the audio, video, and motherboard/chipset.

3. Tried changing the screen resolution? Do you have it set at the correct native resolution? If not, please do so.

4. If the problem is freezing of streaming Flash videos while on the internet, the solution below should help.. If we're still talking about offline viewing of DVD's and video files, then that's a different issue:

So first, check if you can see the Flash animation (banner) without the system crashing at:

Don't worry, it's not a video, it shouldn't crash -- if it does, this won't fix your issue. If it works without crashing, right-click on the Flash animation (banner) and uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration" from the Settings panel. You should now be able to view the YouTube videos without crashing the computer.

And on Windows 7 computers, some folks are finding relief for your issue in Internet Explorer, by opening the Control Panel-Internet Options-Advanced tab.. Once there, place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering", then click on "apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
without system crashing
by mammaw47 / June 13, 2012 5:11 PM PDT

does the internet explorer fix work on acer aspire running windows 7 using firefox as main browser and on netflix or any other video site?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 3:12 AM PDT

But you can change these settings back and forth in seconds. Can you reveal why you didn't try it?

Collapse -
The digital media rights updates include freeze for mouse
by Anon1mouse / May 4, 2013 8:11 PM PDT

It was determined that making people go to their computer and touch the mouse or click on something provided more advertiser confidence. So they hacked the media players DRM code to prevent you from being able to relax and enjoy anything. You must sit at the keyboard and play with their mouse or you get no TV.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.