Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

All Programs does not display all programs

by toptechx6 / November 18, 2010 11:24 PM PST

I am running XP Pro with SP3, when I click the All Programs tab an entire page of installed programs appears, it does not however display all programs that are installed on the machine. I am not sure if this is a display issue (no more room on the page to display additional installed programs) or something else. I have tried without success to "expand" the page in question, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All Programs does not display all programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All Programs does not display all programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2010 2:30 AM PST

Programs are not required to put entries in any list you see on Windows.

Why this is would have us discuss Windows 3.0 to present day and the choices made from then to now.

Hope this helps you understand that All Programs only lists programs that opted to install an item on that menu.
Bob

Collapse -
But luckily ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 12:38 AM PST

you can add folders and a shortcut to any program you like to run to the All Programs list yourself. So you tailor it to your own needs. Isn't that wonderful?

Kees

Collapse -
All Programs not Displaying...
by MarkinTO / November 21, 2010 3:30 PM PST

I understand your problem exactly. You mean, you have so many programs installed, and would like to display them, without the limitation of Windows stopping (or going over) your display space! Which renders your mouse useless.

I too (being a video editor/comp tech)have run into the same problem, as I have hundreds of software titles installed (and no, it has nothing to do with software creating entries).

It's not a virus, nor any other horrible thing. It simply requires a change...

Right-Click on START

Select the Start-Menu, Tab

Make sure the Start Menu 'radio-button' is selected

Select the 'Customize button'

Select the 'Advanced Tab'

Scroll about 3/4 of the way through the list and you will find a check-box, indicating:

Scroll through Programs

Put a check in that box.

Shut down, re-start, and you should be good to go.

You should know get a cascading list of ALL the programs on your computer, in a list (without the hassle of running out of screen space).

This bugged me for months, before I found the tip. Hope it helps.

I too, originally thought it was a resolution problem.

Mark in Toronto.

Collapse -
All programs not viewable
by marionhd / August 28, 2011 9:09 AM PDT

Your response helped to resolve the problem for me. Thanks very much!

Collapse -
Missing listing of all Programs in Start - Windows XP Pro
by happysalsadude / July 2, 2012 8:41 AM PDT

Thank you! It worked!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.