Computer Help

General discussion

All of my files changed to ".ink" files

by itwgas / July 31, 2007 3:06 AM PDT

yes all of my files changed to "ink" files. what happened? what went wrong? what can i do? is this common?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All of my files changed to ".ink" files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All of my files changed to ".ink" files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: All of my files changed to ".ink" files
by Tufenuf / July 31, 2007 3:30 AM PDT

itwgas, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't access the Internet use another computer to download it onto a floppy or CD and transfer it to the problem computer. If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
it doesnt work
by itwgas / July 31, 2007 4:22 PM PDT

i tried it and it doesnt work.

it gives me this:

"regedit is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Collapse -
Re: it doesnt work
by Tufenuf / July 31, 2007 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: it doesnt work

itwgas, I'm assumong that you're running Windows XP since you didn't tell us your operating system. You could try a System Restore to the closest date prior to this problem. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Do you have Lavasoft's Ad-watch installed and running? If you do it may have warned you about something being changed and you may have allowed the change thus the file extension problem.

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I got it now
by itwgas / August 2, 2007 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: it doesnt work

yeah, i just had to DL the "link file fix" that was next to line 12(exe (lnk and regfile) fix). thanks for your help. it was much appreciated.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / August 3, 2007 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I got it now
Collapse -
all exe files changed to ink files
by Territory2004 / August 16, 2009 10:37 PM PDT

Searched for this problem via google and followed your directions to rectify my problem. It all worked fine, thank you so much for this.

Regards Teera

Collapse -
(NT) Teera, Glad it worked & Glad to help.
by Tufenuf / August 16, 2009 11:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) what is a DL? please tell me
by frums121 / February 11, 2013 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: I got it now
Collapse -
(NT) "D"own "L"oad
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 6:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Help ink files
by Boyletammy / March 10, 2010 9:15 AM PST

Im having the same problem with INK files on my desktop. Ive tried most links but didnt work. anything else to try

Collapse -
Re: Help ink files
by Tufenuf / March 10, 2010 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Help ink files

Boyletammy, Since you didn't post which version of Windows you're using I'm assumong it's Wondows XP which this fix is for.

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (right column) and click on "Link File Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't access the Internet use another computer to download it onto a floppy or CD and transfer it to the problem computer. If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I have the same problem but with vista help pzl
by Shock710 / June 12, 2010 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Help ink files

I have the problem that all my files on the desktop are in ink files
and i have no idea how to fix it
sooo plz someone help

Collapse -
Re: I have the same problem but with vista help pzl
by Tufenuf / June 12, 2010 2:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:
by mattbronx1331 / April 28, 2011 11:30 PM PDT

I have the same problem but with windows 7, can u help

Collapse -
Please avoid hiding your new question in 6 year old posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:
Collapse -
.ink file
by pgc3 / August 9, 2012 6:11 AM PDT

Are not .ink files normally associated with tablets? I wonder if some of these issues did not occur after having linked tablet to pc.

Collapse -
This is a very old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: .ink file

Please start your new discussion.

Collapse -
I fixed it
by Shock710 / June 12, 2010 2:28 PM PDT

Hi looking for other peopel who had this problem on the web
and i found a way to fix my problem
i dl-ed something called inkfix_vista (my computer is vista)
at first i didn't think it worked casue all my icons remianed the same
but all the programs worked again
so i went to "control panel" than to "appearance and personaliztion" than to
personaliztion and in the task on the left side it says "change desktop icons"
i clicked it and "restored default" and my all icons changed back
even the ones in my start menu
So happy for those on the internet who help people like me

Collapse -
you have become one of those on the internet...you helped a
by tisrael1158 / April 12, 2013 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I fixed it

person like me. I had compressed file, and the next thing all my icons changed to .ink and I had no restore point. but the instructions you provided appear to have work most of the icons have changed back and are working. Also too i downloaded the regit file

thank you so much!!! Laugh

Collapse -
Windows XP
by ahkilinc / August 9, 2012 6:01 AM PDT

When I first clicked on the file, nothing happned. So I had to go and associate the reg file with the Registry Editor.

I right clicked, and changed the default program that opens the file to:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedt32.exe

Then when I double clicked on it, it prompted me to add the file to the registry. At first, nothing happend. SO I opened up task manager (right click on the clock in the bottom right corner) and killed "explorer" from the processes and restarted it. Everything is dandy now, except for the fact that some shortcuts are "SCF"...?

Collapse -
Sounds like either a hang or malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows XP

Given this is such an old post I'd start a new one and tell more plus what you use to scan for malware.
Bob

Collapse -
windows 7
by eastblade123 / December 2, 2012 1:00 PM PST

i have the problem in windows 7 all of my exe shortcut files changed to ink files and i there is no restore point set up yet so i cant restore the computer to a earlier point please tell me what i can do i tryd downloading the file but i guese its only for xp cause it didint work

Collapse -
Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: windows 7

First, because the problem can be related to malware, please download, install, update, then run the free malwarer removal tool from the link below. Delete anything it finds:

Malwarebytes
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

Once done, click on the link below to re-associate the .lnk file extensions for Windows 7...

Here's a link which should help. Start with the ..LNK fix first, then the .EXE fix if the first fix doesn't get it done..

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) what to do when i have windows 7?
by cauchers / January 19, 2013 2:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Mentioned In This Link...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 10:00 AM PST
Collapse -
It didnt work!
by Aria444 / January 4, 2014 1:11 AM PST

Ive tried doing this regedit thing a number of times. the first time some of the icons chnaged to normal (not all) but still dont open. I cant understand why it is not working, I followed all the steps on your first solution, but no luck!

Collapse -
Thanks and closing this 2349 days old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: It didnt work!

Looks like it's time for folk to bring this up anew.

Collapse -
solutin to changed file .ink / how to use system restore.ink
by boringmat / June 30, 2010 5:29 AM PDT

All of your files probally say .ink at the end or your shortcuts are all opening in one program
TRY THIS; 1. click start 2. click run 3.enter cmd(Command Prompt) 4. (copy and paste this in --> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe 5. hit enter 6. hurray now restore to a time hella far back

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Collapse -
That email address
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 5:35 AM PDT

Apart from not being wise posting email addresses in public forums, we do not allow members to entice others away from these forums.

I have asked the Forum Admin to edit out your email address.

Mark

Collapse -
i am having same problem with everyone
by IstanTheDevil / December 23, 2013 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: That email address

I am using school computer and all of the programse like Google chrome skype and stuff changed to INK file so i can't use the programs. i am using Window 7 so plz help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.