Samsung forum

All my hdmi ports on tv have stopped working !!

by sjfrytbg / July 26, 2011 7:36 PM PDT

I have a Samsung LE40B650 which is only 18 months old and about a week ago all the hdmi ports will no longer show any picture. If I unplug the hdmi lead it does show not connected so the port does see something. However no matter which device or cable I try I just get no signal. I have an xbox 360, blu ray dvd and a virgin hd box and none will work on any of the ports. I have tried a factory reset but this did nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions or have they experienced the same issue?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All my hdmi ports on tv have stopped working !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All my hdmi ports on tv have stopped working !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try this
by Mr Shaun Warburton / July 27, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

Try to reset the TV back to factory settings that may help by pressing the exit button for 20 sec's

Collapse -
HDMI ports not working
by sjfrytbg / July 27, 2011 6:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

I have already tried to reset back to factory default. managed to find the remote key combo to get into service mode and did it in there, but still not working.
Got a tv repair company coming this afternoon to give an estimate.

Collapse -
Had them fixed!!
by sjfrytbg / July 28, 2011 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI ports not working

Just thought I`d share.. Tv guy came out to fix and apparently their are two chips on the main board which he has switched. All hdmi now working.
This cost me £58.00 which is better than paying the £125.00 fixed price fee for comet to come out?? Still not good considering the telly is only 18months old...

Collapse -
it's the luck of the Draw
by Mr Shaun Warburton / July 28, 2011 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Had them fixed!!

Your right. but it's the luck of the draw extended warranties
Doo Cost, but can be worth the outlay. as you have just found out.

Collapse -
This just happened to my TV as well
by dqb17 / May 21, 2012 4:44 AM PDT

I have a Samsung TV as well and the HDMI ports on it just stopped working. Bought it back in August of 2010 so less than 2 years and it's unusable. I did get the 3rd party warranty however, so I suppose that's good.

Collapse -
More Details please
by perfo100 / October 15, 2012 8:56 AM PDT

I know this was a good few monthes ago, but I've got the same problem and wondering if you have any idea what chips the service fellow changed? An IC number would be very helpfull for me to try and repair mine...or ofcourse if anyon else reading this knows where I can get the right spares...thanks to all.

Collapse -
This old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: More Details please

1. I can't tell if you tried the old reset noted at

2. The chip appears to have identifiers on it if you research the boards. You as the tech would hit for the manual, buy the manual and see if they have it listed. If not you pull the board and trace from the HDMI port to the first big chip and replace that chip.

Collapse -
old thread same problems :)
by perfo100 / October 15, 2012 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: This old discussion.

Thanks. I'm going to get it apart this weekend maybe..

Collapse -
try waiting
by chase2013 / February 10, 2013 1:48 AM PST

My two HDMI ports stopped working on my Samsung TV at the same time. I hooked up component cables and watched that way. The next day I tried the HDMI again -- at first it didn't work but I unplugged and replugged and checked the tightness and they worked. (I only unplugged and replugged the one to my TV but then the one to my blu ray also worked when that one did). Someone told me they just needed to "rest".

Collapse -
Re: Try Waiting
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2013 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: try waiting

Hi chase2013,

It's called the HDCP handshake. When it fails, it stops trying until a power cycle or a re-connection. That's why it seems so temperamental.

HD Tech

Collapse -
thanks to hd tech
by stanleyarsog / September 28, 2013 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try Waiting

this is the first fix I have found which is reported to correct the problem..i`m going to try it on my Samsung plasma tv

Collapse -
Woahh thanks so much that worked for me too ...
by patprzybilla / October 1, 2013 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try Waiting

after buying whole bunch of cables reseting and whatnot pulling the plug did it Grin

Collapse -
It worked for me
by pinti2013 / September 12, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: try waiting

Thanks for sharing a tip. I turned off my tv for an hour or so and unplugged all HDMIs. Then powered on TV and all of the HDMIs ports are working fine.

Collapse -
Sony Bravia HDMI Ports Shut Down
by rick99pc / February 13, 2014 1:53 AM PST

I just disconnected my Sony Bravia for 1 minute and they worked again once I plugged it in.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.