Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

all my firefox bookmarks disappeared!

by luke16 / September 8, 2006 5:04 PM PDT

i just ran my spy sweeper and virus programs as well as amd dead link and ad-aware se. when i got back from school, my browser was fine. then i had a power outage and half of my bookmarks are gone! is there a way to undo this? i didn't save my bookmarks in a html file.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: all my firefox bookmarks disappeared!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: all my firefox bookmarks disappeared!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look for a .bak file
by Steven Haninger / September 8, 2006 11:18 PM PDT

called something like "bookmarks.bak". It should be listed under your profile in FF. Check the date. If current, rename it to "bookmarks.html". That might work.

Collapse -
Firefox automatically backs them up...
by John.Wilkinson / September 9, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

Assuming you're using Firefox 1.5 or up, it automatically backs up your bookmarks on a daily basis just in case this happens.

1.) Completely exit out of Firefox.
2.) Go to your profile folder (click here for details) and cut-and-paste the files bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak to another folder.
3.) Go into the bookmarkbackups folder and copy the latest backup.
4.) Paste a copy of the file in the profile directory root where the old bookmarks.html file was.
5.) Rename that file bookmarks.
6.) Launch Firefox and see if all of your bookmarks are there. If so, delete the two files you cut-and-pasted previously.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
what about my .bak file?
by luke16 / September 9, 2006 4:37 AM PDT

this has helped so far. i got to my profile settings and the bookmark backups, but my .bak is still 247k while my bookmarks are 745k. they keep going to the same atate (the same half).

Collapse -
i got it to work
by luke16 / September 9, 2006 4:54 AM PDT

i just imported them from a file in the bookmarks manager menue. i now have doubles byt that is better than none! thanks for the help.

Collapse -
how to get to my profile folder
by Albert 49 / August 14, 2008 7:49 PM PDT

how do I get to my profile folder? thanks

Collapse -
Depends on your OS...
by John.Wilkinson / August 15, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

Firefox Profile folder:
* Note that ''username'' is your Windows username.
* Note that ''random characters'' is actually a series of random characters.
* The Application Data folder may be hidden by default. To view it, you must go tools->folder options, select the View tab, and and mark ''show hidden files and folders'' before proceeding.

Windows 2000/XP:
''C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default''.

Windows 95/98:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default\

Linux:
~/.mozilla/firefox/random characters.default/

Mac OS X:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/random characters.default/

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
you copy my experiences
by goegoe / September 9, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

I have three times such experiences , the sys tells me that the bookmark is too long so that they must be truncated , so like that , they are disappeared three times, at last, for security , for not being tortured , I stop using them and only use google bookmark.you copy my experience. no way , you just stop using them.

Collapse -
happend to me twice
by jadu1958 / September 10, 2006 9:06 PM PDT

i just used a new theme and i restarted and it was gone

Collapse -
Possible Reasons Why Bkmks Disappeared?
by MonicaBurns / August 31, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the help in figuring out how to recapture the Bookmarks. I'm curious as to what version of Firefox people were using and if they'd installed any type of new software just prior to losing the bookmarks.

I'm using the latest and greatest of Firefox Ver. 3.0.1

I just installed Office 2007, including the Business Contacts Manager, which I then removed as it wasn't something I could use and was chewing up my resources. I then went to check out One Note's upgrade and rather than download a trial version, I chose to do the test wizard online.

When I tried to test out One Note via Firefox it wouldn't let me (yeah, I know...what was I thinking). So I opened IE and got the test drive to work fine. Closed down the computer. When I started up this morning, and opened Firefox, that's when I found my bookmarks gone. They were there last night, but when I restarted Firefox they were missing as well as the home page had been removed.

Posting the circumstances under which the bookmarks disappeared might help Mozilla understand what's causing the problem so it can be corrected.

Best, Monica

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.