Peripherals forum

General discussion

All-in-one printer with best ink value?

by win98halfbaked / August 12, 2006 11:58 PM PDT

I'm looking for an inexpensive all-in-one for college.
I was considering the Canon Pixma MP150, but then I searched for ink for it, and found that no one seems to sell "compatible" (not Canon-manufactured) ink for it.
Genuine ink prices are absurd, so I this means I need to find a printer model that has compatible cartridges. I've found a few HP and Dell models, but the cartridges cost only a dollar or two less than the real ones.
By contrast, I've been using a Pixma ip1500, for which I've been buying black ink for about $3 (instead of $8) and color ink for about $4 (instead of $18).

Does anyone know of an inexpensive all-in-one ($70-$130) that either
a) has compatible ink cartridges available, for much less than genuine ones?
b) or has very efficient and cost-effective genuine ink (in terms of efficient ink management, not pretending the cartridge is empty when there's a third of it left, reasonable volume in the cartridge, reasonable price)?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All-in-one printer with best ink value?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All-in-one printer with best ink value?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Multi-Function Printers (MFPs) and Ink
by langr / August 13, 2006 12:38 AM PDT

Epson offers several MFPs in that price range. My personal experience with "alternate" Epson-compatible ink has been very good (the cartridges have been fully compatible with the printer driver's management functions, with no apparent "false" empty messages). I also like the fact that Epson uses multiple color cartridges (even though in my experience, they all tend to run out about the same time). Recommend purchasing the "high-capacity" black cartridge (about 2x capacity). Coverage (number of pages) per cartridge has been excellent with "normal" useage - no discernable difference between the original and compatible ink cartridges.

Collapse -
Epson 6400
by Irelands child / August 17, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

I'm sure that Epson has a replacement by now, but the Stylus 6400 has CHEAP compatible ink carts available from many sources on eBay plus your local Cartridge World shop. The 6400 OEM's are about the most expensive of any that I have looked at - shame on me - I didn't do my homework. It is s-l-o-w as well - suggest anything but an Epson all-in-one at this point. I generally use my 5-6 year old Epson 880 for general everyday work and leave the 6400 for scanning and faxing. Cheap carts for this as well.

Collapse -
Canon or Epson - edited.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 7:18 AM PDT

"Canon or Epson
by hawk9997 - 2/14/07 2:25 PM
In reply to: All-in-one printer with best ink value? by win98halfbaked

If you are looking for a decent AIO that has economical ink, look at the Canon Pixma MP series or the Epson Stylus CX series that has individual cartridges."

Link removed.

Collapse -
At my son's college...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2006 1:43 AM PDT

They provide printers for a pay as you go printing. Sure it's only laser B/W but the cost is much cheaper than your own color printer.

Are you sure you need a printer?

Bob

Collapse -
Compatible Cartridges for Canon ,Brother
by dadlanis / August 13, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

Hi ,

We would reccomend buy any of the Brother multi functions today .(Good Quality Compatibles are available for under 3 US$)

The new range of Canon's do not have compatibles due to the smart chip on the OEM cartridge .

Your model Canon ip1500 has one of the lowest running cost in the recent models .

Thks

www.idiya-solutions.com

Collapse -
Low Cost Multi-function
by kobi33 / August 18, 2006 1:51 AM PDT

Are there NOT any older Canon models still available where he can use generic ink. Cheapest ink cost with BEST print quality was WHY I procured my Canon printer 3 years ago.

So far I am satisfied with generic inks

Collapse -
Best value all in one printer
by snife77 / August 17, 2006 9:12 PM PDT

Brother and Epson models are recommended. I personally use a Brother multi function printer MFC-100 (several modesl in the MFC series) and satisfied with it. You can get it for $75-$100 and the replacement OEM ink catridges are about $3. There are inexpensive printers from other brands such as Canon, Lexmark but the problem is that the ink catridges are expensive even the OEM ones. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Best MFP
by bobweb / August 17, 2006 11:40 PM PDT

In my opinion, the most important consideration is to avoid inkjets and get a laser jet type printer because they are so much more reliable and easier to maintain. Laser jet cartridges don't dry out like inkjet cartridges. Incidentally, a good basic laserjet for black and white printing that has an ethernet network interface as well as a USB 2.0 interface is the Lexmark E120n for about $110 shipped for free from
http://www.costcentral.com/product-list/Laser_LED/75/Lexmark_International/Z00030/

Collapse -
All-in-one printer
by blondie21999 / August 18, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

I have Brother MFC-420CN, haven't replaced a cartridge since I bought it 5 months ago. Cartidges are inexpensive, too.

Collapse -
HP all-in-one
by BJFried / August 18, 2006 3:06 AM PDT

Go to Fry's and buy a reconditioned HP all-in-one -- printer, copier, fax and scanner -- about $100. For ink, go to EZinkjet.com. Order 3 at a time; usually at a discount and free shipping. This has served me well for at least the last 10 years!
BJFried

Collapse -
Reconditioned HP
by brotherjoer.blogspot.com / January 7, 2010 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: HP all-in-one

Have you ever had a problem with ink leaking out of your printer? I had a Lexmark all in one, that I just trashed because it leaked ink. Especially, from non Lexmark cartridges.

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Reconditioned HP
Collapse -
RE Ink
by cdwatters / August 18, 2006 4:08 AM PDT

I have had good luck with my Lexmark and HP printers using good quality Ink Refills and refilling the carts myself.

I can generally get 5-8 refills before the image quality starts to deteriorate, mainly it appears due to head wear, then I'll install a new cart and start over. If you're careful, you can top off the one color you're hammering in those color carts. For some reason I run out of CYAN a lot faster than Magenta.

You can't just buy generic ink refills though, you need to find inks formulated for the printer you're using.

Some people will say it's messy and complicated. The first time maybe, if you're not careful. A pair of gloves to keep the ink off your fingers when handling the old cart has been all I've needed.

Collapse -
All In One inkjet printers
by msa_amk / August 18, 2006 6:45 AM PDT

You might want to check out the HP PSC-1410v. Inexpensive, good print quality and the 'genuine' ink cartridges are cheaper than most. Compact size fits in tight spaces, too. Uses HP21 black or HP22 color ink. Got mine on sale for $49. Connects with USB. I use mine daily for about a year, and replaced the cartridges once. Draft mode print saves a lot of ink! And just about everyone stocks the ink. Non-HP ink is almost as expensive as HP, so I haven't tried them.

Collapse -
So far, so good with HP
by leebrand / March 24, 2010 12:32 PM PDT

I know the Canon Pixma All-in-Ones have a great reputation and enviable ratings, but ... I currently have an MP 530 sitting on the floor next to my desk. In its place is an HP C4680. The HP doesn't have fax, like the Canon, but I can live without it.

I wasn't in the market for a new printer, but on a recent trip to the store to pick up ink, yet again, I realized that it cost me less to buy a new HP (with ink) than to buy another set of replacement ink for the Canon. I've read nothing but great things about multi-cartridge units (my Pixma has 5), but in my experience, the unit was always out of one or multiple units, resulting in numerous annoying messages. Buying all five cost close to $100, and there were no refill options.

I've read the HP isn't particularly ink-friendly either, but it has two ink cartridges instead of five, and each is around $14. So unless I'm running through a cartridge a week, I'm pretty sure I'm going to come out ahead.

As for Epson, it was my previous all-in-one. The minute I switched to a generic store-brand ink to try to cut costs, the unit completely fritzed out on me and never worked again.

Collapse -
Pixmania MP750
by peteread / August 18, 2006 7:46 PM PDT

I bought this all in one recently and have been very happy with it.

I purchase copy inks (they are very, very good, I have been using them with other printers for years) for about 1.75

Collapse -
All-in-one-printer
by mask77 / December 10, 2006 12:12 PM PST
Collapse -
EZinkjets.com
by talkback / February 7, 2007 9:39 PM PST

I purchased ink from EZinkjet.com and never received the ink, they had no problem taking my payment from my business card but delivery of the product never happened. I have followed up with many e-mails and no responce except for computer generated responses, the phone # is a joke so don't bother.I will tell as many people as I can not to enter into business with EZinkjet.com unless they are into losing money and wasting alot of time on follow up and getting NO satisfaction.

Collapse -
www.Ezinkjets.com - fraudulent internet
by ChefBuck / March 31, 2007 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: EZinkjets.com

I purchased ink from EZinkjet.com and never received the ink, they had no problem charging payment to my credit card but delivery of the product never happened. I have followed up with many e-mails and no response except for computer generated responses, the phone # is a joke. I had purchased 6 times over past 4 years - no problem. But like so many recent buyers, purchase not delivered. Many Scam Reporting sites are listing them.

Any one know of a reliable internet ink source?

Collapse -
Reliable Internet Ordering
by MLFaison / June 9, 2007 11:39 PM PDT

Go through Amazon.com. They offer a wide variety of companies and prices. The companies deliver quickly without express shipping and Amazon wants your feedback on the company's and product performance. Also, you still have time to contact your credit card company to credit your account and let their Fraus department take over. Good luck

Collapse -
Reliable Internet Businesses
by MLFaison / June 9, 2007 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: EZinkjets.com

Go through Amazon.com. They offer a wide variety of companies and prices. The businesses deliver quickly, even without express shipping, and Amazon wants your feedback on the company and product. If you didn't contact your credit card company within 90 days, it's too late for their Fraud department to take over, but it's not too late to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Collapse -
epsons are junk
by jthirtyfour / April 2, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

I was able to buy generic cartridges for my Epson Printer. The savings was not that great, and it is thirsty printer either way. But you should read the thread on Epson prints heads clogging. The Epson is a peice of junk. I am not a starving college student, but my next printer will be a laser.

Collapse -
yup, EPSON...
by spyker_r / June 12, 2007 9:51 AM PDT

i concur with "Irelands child" whom has posted earlier.
go get the Epson instead. Happy

Collapse -
HP 915 Printer Scanner and Copier in one
by limchris57 / August 23, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

I have this printer for a year already, I bought it last year ... I asked a department store clerk. What is the most Efficient printer and has the Cheapest ink cartridge. He said HP 915. The price wasn't cheap. But the ink cartridge were so cheap than my old Canon printer (HP ink is 3x the cost of Canon ink). And of course the brand is HP so I didn't think twice. I bought it and true enough this product is OUTSTANDING. I have 4 kids that goes to school- with all this work load for my printer it was worth it. It even has a scanner and photo copying is very easy. It took me 4 months to change cartridges with the cheap price I don't need to think twice of buying a new one...

The printer also prints good quality pictures...

So don't think twice, buy this model.

Collapse -
Cheapest Printer & Cartridge (Efficient Printing)
by limchris57 / August 23, 2009 12:12 PM PDT

I have this printer for a year already, I bought it last year ... I asked a department store clerk. What is the most Efficient printer and has the Cheapest ink cartridge. He said HP 915. The price wasn't cheap, back then it costs P6,990(in the US some one said only $80.00). But the ink cartridge costs is cheap. And of course the brand is HP so I didn't think twice. I bought it and true enough this product is OUTSTANDING. I have 4 kids that goes to school- with all this work load for my printer it was worth it. It even has a scanner and photo copying is very easy. It took me 4 months to change cartridges with the cheap price I don't need to think twice of buying a new one...

The printer also prints good quality pictures...

So don't think twice, buy this model. HP DESKJET F4180 also I saw this model in the internet and its like the same as my HP 915. Do check the difference. I am from the Philippines I don't know if the model or brand varies from different countries.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.