Computer Help

General discussion

All I want is a simple computer that works.

by wannalearn / December 28, 2008 3:24 AM PST

As always, I turn to cnet for solid answers.

My nine-month old Dell computer and Windows Vista operating system is acting up. I'm frustrated with having to repair or buy a new computer about every nine or ten months. Computers are tempermental, hateful, fickle, capricious, stubborn, frustrating and frankly they are becoming more trouble and expensive than they are worth to me.

If I decide to replace this one, could someone please tell me what kind to buy? I just want the most simple, basic, practical computer and operating system. I only use the computer to surf the net; email; word processor; printer, etc. I don't play video games or listen to music. The less features the better.

I keep hearing that Mac's are durable, reliable and secure.

Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All I want is a simple computer that works.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All I want is a simple computer that works.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting rid of old computers.
by wannalearn / December 28, 2008 3:34 AM PST

And I also have two broken computers which belonged to my son. And I'm getting ready to dump this Dell. People tell me to not throw them away or recycle them because they have recoverable data on the hard drives. Can I just take them out on my concrete-slabbed patio and smash to smithereens, sweep us the pieces, pour sulphuric acid on them, and throw the whole mess into a lake? Would that work?

Thanks to all for advice.

Collapse -
Don't Throw Them In A Lake... ;-)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 5:28 AM PST

Hazardous waste you know..

Primarily, the only thing you need to destroy is the hard drive.. All the other stuff can be donated or recycled to an electronics company.. And even the hard drive can be wiped with free disc wiping tools like Killdisc or Dban (Department of Defense standards, etc.) and you can then include the hard drive with the donation.. Of course, sulphuric acid on the hard drive would be fun.. Or maybe thermite..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Computers And Operating Systems Are A Personal Choice
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 5:31 AM PST

If you want to try a MAC, go for it. It will be more expensive than your basic PC. If you preferred Windows XP, there are still some available if you check the business options for companies like Dell and HP.. Or you could have one custom made at a shop with XP. (The custom shop option is my preference but that's a personal choice also.) Even the basic computers are much faster than earlier models so you'll like most anything you get.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
What they didn't tell you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 8:42 AM PST

Read and watch http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

No one is telling you (but now they are!) about this yearly and for twice a year job. Also, read what Grif tells us to use to take out the malware at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=311989&messageID=2880351&tag=forums06;posts#2880351

All this is free stuff and if you don't do anything odd like download movies and more then your machine may need just that little extra to keep it in shape.

Good luck,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.