Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

all devices missing from device manager

by skypip / August 30, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

I need help restoring the devices in my computer. When I click the device manager nothing appears I have no sound nor cd capability. I have tried system restore and msconfig.exe. When I do that it tells me that I need to be logged on as an administrator to make changes when Im logged on as administrator. Can someone help

frustrated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: all devices missing from device manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: all devices missing from device manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Restart in Safe Mode . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 30, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

Do a restore from there. Two options to consider from safe mode. From the safe mode screen you have the option to restore to an earlier date. Pick one. Or continue loading into safe mode and then go to System Restore.

Collapse -
restart in safe mode
by skypip / August 31, 2008 12:39 AM PDT

I have tried that several times, it will only let me restore to a certain point in august and not any further back and other suggestions

Collapse -
Too hard to help yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

I can't find a make or model of the PC under discussion. I can only give you what may sound like vague advice such as "Install the drivers for your machine."

Collapse -
make & model
by skypip / August 31, 2008 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Too hard to help yet.

It is a gateway c-1200,,,,,,,running windows xp i cant restore it nor can i reload any drivers

Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: make & model

"nor can i reload any drivers"

While you write you can't do that, all detail about why is not showing here in your posts. I can't tell if this is because you can't find the drivers on gateway.com or there is an error during the reinstall.

I wonder if this machine got hit with malware, but that's not in your posts.
Bob

Collapse -
drivers
by skypip / August 31, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

let me try to explain a little better. it seems that i have no drivers in the device manager. My keyboard mouse and monitor work but i have bo sound device driver or cd rom. I have tried system restore but it wont restore, i go msconfig.exe to see if it was starting in a different manner and only loading certain drivers but it will not let me start in normal mode i keep getting an acces denied error telling me i must log on as an administrator. the problem there is i was the administrator. I have spyware detector is there something else i can use to check for malware

frank

Collapse -
Since you can't boot normally, then stop fixing the machine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers
Collapse -
malware scan
by skypip / September 1, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

I ran the scan it found 51 infections, but i still dont have any devices in the device manager. It looks like its loading in the normal mode however. I ran a system restore but it will only let me restore it to a time period where the problem already existed,,,,,,still no sound or cd-rom capability

thanks for trying

Collapse -
hardware wizard
by skypip / September 1, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: malware scan

I dont know if i mentioned this but when i click add hardware the wizard does not come up to add anything,,,,

Collapse -
Once we can boot normally we can tackle
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: malware scan
Collapse -
sucess
by skypip / September 1, 2008 9:36 AM PDT

I was dorected to the services.exe where i was able to enable the drivers that were missing thanks so much for your help

frank

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: sucess

Sorry but the malware out there is getting brutal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.