Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

All browsers crash on my system

by jtzlilgrl77 / September 13, 2008 11:03 PM PDT

I am going completely nuts. I have firefox 3 and IE8 beta for my browsers. Both crash all the time. I have reformatted my computer and the problem still presists. Can anybody help please. I have tried everything to clearing my cookies, cache, disk clean up, anti virus, spyware and finally reinstalling my windows disk. Still i have problems on all browers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All browsers crash on my system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All browsers crash on my system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: browsers crash
by Kees Bakker / September 13, 2008 11:19 PM PDT

When you reinstalled Windows while formatting, you got back to IE6 or IE7 (depending on the CD you reinstalled from). Did that crash also?
Better try advancing step-by-step until you find the cause.

And better tell details, like:
- what happens exactly ('crash' doesn't tell anything)
- what's in Event viewer for this event
- version of XP that's running
- how are you connected to Internet

Kees

Collapse -
browsers crash
by jtzlilgrl77 / September 14, 2008 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: browsers crash

I am currently running xp home edition sp2, Both Browsers say they have encountered a problem and needs to close. I am connected to the internet via a router. There are 2 other computers hooked up to the router and they do not have any problems with the browsers. And even IE6 crashed when i reinstalled windows.

Collapse -
If it crashes ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: browsers crash

after a clean install of Windows with only the firewall active and no other programs installed, and 2 other machines connected to the same router work fine I'm inclined to think of a hardware or driver issue.

Things to check:
- Did you install the motherboard drivers (assuming the Ethernet port is on the mobo)?
- Try a(nother) network card.
- Swap the router ports.
- Check device manager for problems.
- Try ping from the command prompt. What happens?
- Does pop3 email work?

Kees

Collapse -
I am having the same problem...
by jhoward314 / January 13, 2009 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: browsers crash

My problem is very similar to yours. IE 7.0, msn, and firefox will not load. The window will open and then immediately it says that it has encountered a problem and has to close. Were you able to resolve that problem? If so, could you please tell me how you did it?

Many Thanks

Collapse -
All browsers crash on certain sites
by plato1123 / February 22, 2009 6:16 AM PST

I believe I'm having the same problem. I came back to find my computer (Dell 8200 laptop) had restarted (possibly due to a windows xp automatic update?) and found that all browsers on the system crash on a wide variety of web pages (browsers currently are IE 7, Firefox 3, and latest Opera. In addition, avg antivirus crashes on bootup.

I've disabled all programs/tsrs loading in msconfig, used system restore to restore the system to a 3-week old reg backup, reinstalled browser plugins (flash, shockwave, uninstalled and reinstalled java). Uninstalled and reinstalled firefox 3, looked through system services for anything wierd. Firefox safe mode will not come up (think its loading one of the *bad* sites on startup) even in windows xp safe mode. This is a legit copy of xp sp 3 on a dell 8200 laptop. Wifi card is a Microsoft 54 meg pcmcia card. I've also scanned for spyware using several programs and completed most of a virus scan with AVG by uninstalling and reinstalling it. Wow just wow.

Http://www.getfirefox.com is one of the sites that crashes in all browsers and there are many many more.

Collapse -
Firefox 2.0 works
by plato1123 / February 22, 2009 8:10 AM PST

I installed IE 8 and it will not even open or work with any sites. I installed Google Chrome and no sites will work at all. I installed firefox 2 and... it works!! I have a working browser!!! Any ideas anyone? I am trying to think of some sort of support file that is used by all of the above?
All of these problems started happening yesterday.
Crashes on open:
IE 8
Google Chrome
FF 3
AVG antivirus (will run when I install it if I don't restart)
Crashes on certain sites:
Opera
IE 7
Works everywhere:
Firefox 2.0
Other apps work just fine, such as photoshop, dreamweaver, so it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue unless it's with the network adapter. File sharing over network works fine.

Collapse -
Check your IE settings.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2009 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox 2.0 works

This seems to be happening a lot recently, and while your symptoms are slightly different, check your IE settings to see if your connection has been changed to a Proxy connection.

The other cases I have seen affected only the IE browser, and also utilities like ZoneAlarm, but not other browsers. The one I know to have been resolved was where some 3rd party software seemed to have changed IE's dial-up connection to a proxy.

I don't know what your connection type is, but IE > Tools > Internet Options, Connections tab has LAN settings configuration you may want to check both for dial-up and other connections.

Mark

Collapse -
sudden xp death syndrome
by plato1123 / February 24, 2009 5:12 PM PST

Yea, no proxy settings, plus the problem occurs even when I'm not connected to the internet or if the wifi card is pulled (pcmcia).

Collapse -
Does the problem occur ...
by Kees Bakker / February 24, 2009 5:42 PM PST

if you visit a LOCAL html-file (on your hard disk) in ALL browsers with file:// ? Or only on http:// and https:// ?
How about ftp:// ?

What happens if you use ping and tracert commands?

Kees

Collapse -
Sudden xp death syndrome
by plato1123 / February 26, 2009 10:09 AM PST

Ugh, today I realized that even Winamp crashes when it tries to access the web, like if I try to load a shoutcast radio as soon as it tries to load its little framed ad it crashes.

I did save a local file, saved the html from getfirefox.com locally. As you may recall from above, some browsers crash as soon as they're open, so I can't try going to a local file. A couple browsers, IE 7 and Opera crash only if they go to certain sites, such as getfirefox.com. I saved that file locally, and found those two browsers still crash when it's accessed. After much trial and error I discovered that if I remove everything between the <form></form> tags neither of those browsers crash when trying to access that file and display the remainder properly.

So I guess somehow my browsers ability to display forms is badly messed up? HUH?!!

Collapse -
if I remove this code it works...
by plato1123 / February 26, 2009 10:15 AM PST

If I remove this html code I can load that test page in opera and IE 7
~~~~~~~
<form id="moz_global_search" action="/en-US/search/" method="get"><div>
<input name="hits_per_page" id="hits_per_page" value="" type="hidden">
<input name="hits_per_site" id="hits_per_site" value="" type="hidden">
<input name="query" id="query" value="" type="text"><input src="temp_files/search-button.png" id="submit" value="Search" type="image">
</div></form>
~~~~~~
and
~~~~~~
<form id="lang_form" dir="ltr" method="get" action=""><div>
<label for="flang">Other languages:</label>

<select id="flang" name="flang" dir="ltr" onchange="this.form.submit()"> <option value="ca">Catal

Collapse -
Maybe
by _Chas_ / March 30, 2009 1:33 AM PDT

I've had pixilation on my Cable TV and SSSSSSSTTTuttering on my phone line in the past. Maybe the cable is the problem?

Collapse -
sounds like a ram problem
by bommajoe / February 4, 2010 3:33 AM PST

try ending some programs your not using I had this problem when I downgraded my ram maybe u can make a page file also to increase your ram hope this helps someone !

Collapse -
All Browsers crash
by ayjaymeel / May 17, 2010 12:14 AM PDT

The common factor in a number of posts about this problem seems to be AVG. I had the same problem and cured it by completely removing AVG. Strangely enough, it had been working well for over a year. I replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials, and so far everything's working well. Both IE and Firefox have stopped crashing.

Collapse -
All browsers crash on my system
by pcs365_12 / May 24, 2010 7:48 PM PDT

Check browser addons, whichever broser you are using and also try to restrict urself to 2 browser's only and 1 antivirus(strictly). also check for browser extensions.

Collapse -
"Crash of ALL browsers when downloading images" ->> SOLUTION
by AurelianPopovici / February 9, 2014 5:32 AM PST

(A) "run"-> (B) type "msconfig" (C) Go to "Services, "(D) re-initialize some of the Windows Services previously disconnected: (1) "Diagnostic Policy Service", (2) "Remote Access Connection Manager", (3) "Automated Remote Access Connection Manager" (4) "Locator of Remote Procedure Call", (5) ALL "network"-connected services.

IT DOWNLOADS again images WITHOUT crashing the browsers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.