Computer Help forum

General discussion

All anti-virus websites blocked

by djhmb / December 18, 2008 3:49 AM PST

I have an unusual problem. I am unable to access ANY anti-virus or spyware websites, they are blocked.
Using 7 month old Dell sith XP which came with AVG virus program.
About 10 days ago I started received messages saying my anti-virus data base was out of date. It normally updates daily. When I tried to update maually, I find the computer is unable to access AVG.com resulting in update failure. I tried to access McAfee.com Norton.com and various other anti-spyware sites with the same result.
If this is some kind of virus, trojan or whatever, it is very selective in that it blocks only these sites.
Has anyone encountered this or have any suggestions?
Thanks, Dave

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All anti-virus websites blocked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All anti-virus websites blocked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 18, 2008 5:16 AM PST

Please use a friend or family member's "clean" computer and download the Malwarebytes tool and it's manual update from the link below.. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

If the program installs correctly but then won't run, please access the "C:\Program Files\ Malwarebytes Antimalware folder and rename the "mbam.exe" file to something else.. Make sure it has a .exe file extension and then double click on the newly named file. Malwarebytes should run correctly now..

After doing that, then download the free tool from the link below, install it, update it, then run a full system scan. As before, you may need to download the installer file on a separate "Clean" computer.:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Gotta love it...
by sjgaddie / October 19, 2009 2:18 PM PDT

Was having same problem as original poster. Here I am on my clean pc, clicked tried to download the recommended link, and wow, my current AVG recognized it as a virus! I guess just when you think someone is trying to help, they are actually screwing you over.......

Collapse -
Probably Wrong.. AVG Has A False Positive Problem Right Now
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2009 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Gotta love it...
Collapse -
Good News....
by sjgaddie / October 21, 2009 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Gotta love it...

My so called "clean" computer would not let me do much of anything with MBAM, so I downloaded it right on the infected computer. Whatever the virus was did not recognize and therefore block the installation. It did block the update, though. I ran the scan anyways, and it cleared out whatever the problem was. I was then able to update mbam, and download and install the new AVG 9.0 and a bunch of windows updates.... SUCCESS!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 21, 2009 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Good News....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.