Desktops

Question

All 5 casefans+psu turn on, no video/beep codes

by B33p3rz / January 29, 2013 1:52 PM PST

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read and help me with my question.

I've slowly been buying parts for my new computer build over the weeks and I just tried putting it together last night to no avail.

After assembled correctly, (all wiring checked and rechecked), The power button immediately starts every fan in the system (All 5 casefans, psu fan, cpu heatsink fan, gpu fan) but I hear no sounds similar to that of the actual computer starting. The monitor stops displaying *No signal* when I plug it in, and it's light just goes orange. Nothing plugged into usb ports will light up (Mouse/usb storage). There are no beep codes during any of this and I am seriously perplexed.

System specs-
Foxconn AMD AM3 Mobo - ATX
16GB Ripjaws RAM (Only one 4gb stick inserted for test)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 GPU (Unplugged and sat aside after first test, no difference in result)
650 watt Antec PSU
AMD Phenom II X4 3.8ghz Processor
SATA 500GB Laptop HDD (Test purposes only, havn't bought the one I want yet. This has Windows 7 already installed onto it.)

I would appreciate if anyone could look at this and give me any fresh input, it's very discouraging :(.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All 5 casefans+psu turn on, no video/beep codes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All 5 casefans+psu turn on, no video/beep codes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Recheck
by Willy / January 30, 2013 3:24 AM PST

I would install more ram, to make a "bank" that refers to at least 2 slots, find what makes bank 0 or bank 1 as the numbers start. next, SORRY but no you can't have pre-installed Win7 on a HD and expect it to boot. if the mtrbd. and such were the same as what you're working it may have booted or error out. In your case, Win7 will remind at a fault level, you have to install Win7 to that system as in fresh install. if your mtrbd. has only USB ports for the kybd. and mouse, leave as is for now. Next, using your Win7 or any windoze install disc, use that to see if it will boot. You will need to verify the 1st boot device is CD drive from the bios setting and save upon exit. -OR- depending on your PC setup if it asks from a boot menu where to boot, again that's a feature of your bios. I don't know if that is possible or applicable to your current PC, so check. DON"T take anything for granted, recheck and verify and what i stated in this post should apply.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Could be Mobo I suppose
by B33p3rz / January 30, 2013 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Recheck

I actually just unplugged the CPU and tried reseating it a few times, but I get the same result (I also Tried the RAM idea, different choices between the 4 sticks on different tests) Without the CPU in at all I get the exact response, no real computer action but all fans immdiately power on and whirr loudly. This makes me think it's the CPU because every one of the fans are working, even the GPU fan/ PSU fan, and Heatsink fan, but no actual computing is happening.

I can't even get to the bios, and that's what concerns me, Without the CPU, would the Mobo load it's bios? It just seems like there aren't any POST or beep codes at all.

Either way I've just RMA'd the CPU to Newegg and hope to get a replacement for this soon. I'll be back replying on any help I get here after The processor is fresh and I can try it again.

Thanks Willy for taking the time Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.