Laptops forum

General discussion

Alienware vs Dell XPS

by seabromd / December 18, 2010 1:17 AM PST

I was hoping someone could quickly explain to me why the 'gaming' computers are worth it. On just Dell's website I could create a laptop with a better i7 core, more ram, a bigger harddrive, and similar video cards for $800 less than the alienware version!

Is there something I'm missing that makes it worth te extra money?

Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alienware vs Dell XPS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alienware vs Dell XPS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick addition
by seabromd / December 18, 2010 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Alienware vs Dell XPS

I'll just add that the laptop uses a Nvidia GT 445M 3Gb video card. I'm guessing that isn't quite as good as the Alienware option, but is the difference worth the $800 price difference?

Collapse -
Why would the i7 be better?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 3:59 AM PST

Folk are now wising up to the fact that your quad core i7 machines spew heat and have very low battery times. What's the goal here?

If gaming then do that and DO NOT COMPLAIN nobody warned you.

If you want a tamer laptop with some hope of gaming and laptop use try the i5 with SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS.

Collapse -
by seabromd / December 18, 2010 6:40 AM PST

I feel my post may have been misunderstood. I'm not asking about i7 cores or their function as laptops. I'm intending on buying a laptop that will work as a semi portable desktop.

I'm just asking what the difference is between a computer officially labeled 'gaming' and one like the XPS thats just high performance. From what I could see the guts we're nearly the same, but there was an $800 price difference.

I'm not at all complaining about the nature of i7 cores.

Collapse -
Then no sale.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

If Dell doesn't convince you it's worth 800 bucks for the casing and finish and name then no sale. Parts is parts at the end of the day.

Anytime the i7 comes up in laptops, the quad core model is one that you find hot to too warm keyboard or palm rest areas and many complaints. As long as folk know this going in, no problem.

Collapse -
alienware vs dell xps
by arpit_rathore7 / December 31, 2010 7:36 PM PST

1stly list the full specifications of the alienware and xps, only then it is possible to give a conclusion.

Collapse -
Even with the specs you need the BENCHMARKS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: alienware vs dell xps

The laptop with the better specs can lose the benchmark comparison because the maker wanted to keep heat under control (which is a good idea!) so posting specs is rarely how to pick a winner.

Find reviews on the models you are considering and with high end laptops with HOT PARTS you must see it first hand to see if the unit will annoy you with too warm surfaces.

And one last question. If you are spending 2+K on a laptop, will you be upset with paying for repairs after the warrany expires?

Collapse -
y so against gaming laptops
by arpit_rathore7 / January 1, 2011 1:22 AM PST

hey bob,i know that you are here on this forum for quite long and you quite frequentely answer all user's queries, no disrespect but still i find that whenever you answer a question,you just pick some other topic in-between or provide a review. don't you think giving a straight answer is a better choice instead of you showering the others with your own point of view about things that no one wants to listen. give it a thought mate.

Collapse -
You missed the points.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2011 1:50 AM PST

Let's say you did pick a laptop on spec and found out later that it benchmarked lower and had a hot spot you couldn't stand. I respect your reply but please see all the posts where folk are mad about the heat, no battery time and more.

I'm not against gaming laptops at all. Let's get the potential buyers all the info rather than let them make a purchase they'll regret.

Collapse -
by arpit_rathore7 / January 1, 2011 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: You missed the points.

ya, thats pretty true that we are here to make potential buyers to get all the info rather than to make them buy one which they'll regret later. may be i was a bit too hard on you by making that previous statement. well mate,i didn't mean to disrespect you in any sense,that was a bit amateur by me,hope you don't mind.

Collapse -
Please go ahead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2011 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: accepted

And question me. I have been wrong in the past and had to catch up as that dual core i7 is quite the different beast so there is an example of where I didn't know that some maker had launched with that CPU.

We all learn here.

Collapse -
by splesco / March 28, 2011 12:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
by wirefreek / March 29, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

One addition I can point out is the Alienware laptops have WirelessHD feature. This brings good value to these gaming laptops as you can stream the HD video wirelessly to the TVs. This is a cool feature on these laptops and I see finally the full HD wireless video has arrived for laptops.

Collapse -
That's noteworthy....
by RQV1 / March 29, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: WirelessHD

That's definitely an interesting addition. After reading this thread, I checked out "WirelessHD" to find out what it is and why it may (or may not) be valuable to me for $800 (as mentioned above)

The idea of being able to stream graphics/video/audio from my notebook to my HDTV... that's pretty cool. Especially with no latency like I'd find in WiFi. Not everyone is a gamer though or cares about picture quality, so maybe a WiFi solution is enough. I, on the other hand, care about the latency and the picture quality, so I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred extra for this feature. Not $800, but maybe $200.

So that reduces the spread to $600 now for me. Happy

Collapse -
A little secret none of the
by orlbuckeye / April 10, 2011 10:24 PM PDT

mass market models from the brand names compare to the companies that specialize in gaming laptops. That's the reason why Dell bought Alienware. Dell, Sager and Voo Doo are all companies that specialize in gaming systems. They use they most powerful components. The Dells, HP and Toshiba's you see in Best Buy share alot of the same cheaper less powerfull components. Like Bob says these gaming systems because they use more powerfull components they run hotter and have less battery time.

Collapse -
by yarivos / May 17, 2011 10:04 PM PDT

There is a simple answer:
Alienware are designed<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> for gaming and allot more stable when running heavey games.
here is an article that cover both models:
best gaming laptop 2011

Collapse -
Alienware Gaming Laptops Info
by cltwhite / June 8, 2011 8:37 PM PDT

Alienware Gaming Laptops are highend laptops with much high configuration. They are tend to be bulky and with a large screen. I would recommend alienware laptop only if you are using it for playing games continuously. Dell XPS is another option which I think is much lighter laptop compared to alienware laptops.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit out promotion link which is prohibited in these forums. on 06/09/2011 at 10:14 AM PT

Collapse -
Alienware vs Dell XPS
by yayati72 / February 29, 2012 9:54 AM PST

Here is the PROS and cons, you have to decide based on your budget and req.

Buy Alienware if you get a deal on for following reasons

1, It is rugged,
2. Comes with a performance graphics card
3. in short it is performance machine and doesn't look that slick as XPS does
4. Will play all the current games

I bought Alienware M17X for just 1327 (Got a deal by directly calling DELL on 866 383 4713. Original price was 1903 at that time

Here is the config..

i7 2670QM, GTX 560M 1.5 GB, 4GB 1600MHZ RAM, 1900x1080 WFHD screen, Killer wireless with Win 7 Home premium

More mobility
comes with lower profile GT graphics card
Cooling system is not as efficient as Alienware
will play mid range games

I would say buy Alienware if you don't mind the huge laptop (Not carrying your laptop frequently as I do) and prefer the function factor than form factor

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.