Laptops forum

General discussion

Alienware - DO NOT PERFORM YOUR OWN REPAIRS

by hickmanj / February 21, 2005 2:38 AM PST

This is a consumer warning.

If Alienware asks you to open your laptop or do physical repairs on it - REFUSE. They will refuse any follow-up or repairs if you damage your computer.

Refuse and send the laptop to them - make them physically open it.

They had me try to pry up my keyboard and I snapped a latch when trying it (on the phone with their technician) and now they are refusing to repair the keyboard.

Better yet, don't buy Alienware at all - I just spent $36000 less than a year ago - if this is how they treat consumers, you are better off with someone else.

Jason

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alienware - DO NOT PERFORM YOUR OWN REPAIRS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alienware - DO NOT PERFORM YOUR OWN REPAIRS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Correction $3600 not $36000 (oops)
by hickmanj / February 21, 2005 5:48 AM PST

Just a self-edit.

Collapse -
Alienware
by Alienware-JuanG / February 24, 2005 5:16 AM PST

Many repairs can be done by the customer and can save time instead of sending it into our repair facility.

The physical damage was done to the case. Regrettably this can not be repaired under warranty.

Collapse -
Then how about offering the replacement part?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Alienware

What I've found is that many (most? all!) of the offbrands can offer spare parts. If you are a viable company, a machine under 1 year old should find spares ready to go. That casing is not that expensive and if you had offered that then the issue could die right now.

But we've found you out. Alienware doesn't stock spares.

Bob

Collapse -
They don't seem to want to do the right thing
by hickmanj / February 24, 2005 6:25 AM PST

Bob,

Thanks for your support. How hard is it to rectify the problem if the company caused it?

I plan to keep the word out on as many bulletin boards as possible. People shouldn't be having these headaches if they've paid for a high-end laptop and haven't attempted repairs on their own (which, logically, voids the warranty).

Their own records show that it was their tech who told me to do this.

Sigh.

Lesson learned: Alienware does what it wants, when it wants and could care less about the consumer once they have your thousands of dollars. A laptop that cost as much as a used car and now I have a broken case due to their "tech support."

Jason

Collapse -
Jason...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 6:30 AM PST

I feel for you. I'm in the bird's eyeview of such issues as I've seen the mess these smaller laptop vendors make.

Let's be honest here. That casing is at most 20 bucks on the production costs. Even double that would be a bargain for you to obtain such a part since you can't dump your laptop later with that defect.

But the truth is that Alienware is not a "producer" but a consumer of some factory product that relabels for Alienware and others. Alienware, if that is someone from Alienware has lamented that they can't get the parts for repairs. It makes the case that they are definitely not in the game.

Bob

Collapse -
You're right, check this. 1 year of Alienware nightmares...
by Renae / March 12, 2005 6:46 AM PST
Collapse -
Alienware
by Alienware-JuanG / February 24, 2005 6:29 AM PST

Alienware does stock spare parts and performs out of warranty repairs.

Collapse -
Then prove it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 6:32 AM PST

This is just one of two cases that Alienware has not been able to supply replacement parts. This is a small forum and not unlike what other forums I read about the Alienware parts problems.

Offer the part at what cost you feel is proper so the owner can get the machine fixed.

As it stands, I'm calling you a liar.

Prove me wrong.

Bob

Collapse -
Alienware
by Alienware-JuanG / February 24, 2005 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Then prove it.

The customer has been informed that he can pay for the damage to be repaired by Alienware.

Collapse -
"Do the right thing"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 8:53 AM PST

Offering the spare part needed would be the right thing to do. All you are doing is cementing the idea that Alienware should be avoided at all costs... in these forums.

Tell us the part number to order and the price.

Bob

Collapse -
Ummm...
by quackerjack / March 1, 2005 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: "Do the right thing"

... Didn't the JuanG guy tell him Alienware will repair the damage for him for a price?

Collapse -
Alienware
by jimnroshell / March 5, 2005 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Ummm...

If they told him to open it then they should repair it not offer to charge him for damage caused by what their tech told him to do. They need to teach their tech support to quit having the custumer do the work and just return it and have the work done correctly.

Collapse -
I agree
by mccoy007 / March 5, 2005 2:53 PM PST

I think what you said is right, if you have problem, just acknowledge it. Do not try to explain that by using other way, do remember, explain your mistake means cover up that mistake, cover up that mistake means you are not respons for your customers

Collapse -
Thanks for the warning guys!
by jcbrew / March 10, 2005 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Then prove it.

I was thinking about buying an Alianware desktop for my son's games.... Now I know better. That company is off my short list of computer companies.

Good luck with getting a new cover for your laptop.

Collapse -
Yes, thanks for the warning!
by aymanelt / December 28, 2006 12:14 PM PST

I was seriously thinking of Alienware as a laptop. That is too bad. Do they realize that someone that purchased a laptop from them is the best and or most harmful marketing tool they have!

Fair is fair, they could offered to repair the problem but ask him to pay for shipping. I am a Dell user for years now and yet no matter how so-so their products are they still come through with customer care.

Time is right, we are the "person" of the year. Beware of us and our ability to communicate to the masses through the internet. Alienware get your act togther and be No.1 in laptops and NO.1 in Customer Care.

Collapse -
Bouncer
by BenMCiraulo / December 29, 2006 4:46 AM PST

I recommend and support a number of end users and have had such run ins with other companies and if the only way to send a message is to boycot then I am on and Alienware is out. This is going to cost Alienware far more than a keyboard.

Collapse -
HAHHAHAHAHAHA
by AntiAW / August 17, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

I just had to comment on this one even if it is out of date... carrying some spare memory and a cd drive is not considered carrying parts, and service means actually fixing things, i actually have a rep from AW on tape showing just how much you care

NOT 1CE DID ALIENWARE ATTEMPT TO FIX MY PROBLEM!!! NOT EVEN SEND IT IN TO LOOK IT OVER... LOL AW DIDNT EVEN HAVE ANYTHING TO COMMENT TO THE BBB... WERE STILL WAITNG FOR YOUR INGENIOUS REPLY!!!

Collapse -
Save time? Be honest - saves YOU time not the consumer
by hickmanj / February 24, 2005 6:18 AM PST

What consumer wants to "save time" if it means risking a damaged computer?

Your policies are misleading and deceptive.

Your technicians tell people to do the very things that DAMAGE THE CASE!

Your technician effectively damaged my case - since I wanted to send it to the depot and was told I was to open it first. I would never have tried on my own - since I know nothing about computers (that is why I paid you HUNDREDS of extra dollars for a warranty).

How convenient to try and save your own corporation time/money and then deny any responsibility for the damage your technicians cause.

Anyone with common sense sees the catch-22 and the deceit of Alienware.

Collapse -
Alienware
by Alienware-JuanG / February 24, 2005 6:28 AM PST

As per the warranty, the technician will try to solve the problem over the phone.

If it can not be done so, the system will be brought into depot.

The damage to the case was done by you. Any damage done to the case will not be replaced under the warranty.

Here is the excerpt of the warranty where it states that the agent has to try and resolve the issue over the phone before a depot can be authorized:

We will first attempt to diagnose and resolve the problem over the telephone. If we determine that the problem is with a defective component covered by your warranty, then we will, at our option, either: (a) have you send your product to our repair facilities for repair or replacement; (b) send a technician to your home or place of business to replace the defective component; or (c) send you a component part to replace the defective component. Option (b) will apply only if you purchased the Alienware Onsite Service along with your warranty. If our technical support agents determine that your product must be returned to our facilities for repair or replacement, we will issue you a Return Material Authorization Number. We will then send you a packing slip for shipping your product to our facilities. You must, however, return the product to us in its original or equivalent packaging, and insure the shipment or accept the risk if the product is lost or damaged in shipment. We will return the repaired or replacement product to you. We will pay shipping expenses both ways only if you use an address in the United States (excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. possessions and territories). Otherwise, we will ship the product to you freight collect.

The instructions the agent was giving you are a step by step guide we use to remove the keyboard.

During one of the steps, you effectively damaged the latch which corresponded to one of three that hold the keyboard down in place.

Collapse -
So: Alienware makes you open case = no responsbility for AW
by hickmanj / February 24, 2005 6:58 AM PST

Again, back to my original post:

If Alienware asks you to do any physical repairs to your laptop that could damage your case: DO NOT DO THE REPAIRS.

They will not cover them.

If they refuse to authorize shipping it to the depot - hang up and start calling the Florida Attorney General and the BBB and posting on forums to make people aware of Alienware's double standard and deceptive business practices.

It's like a TV repair man saying: now turn the picture tube to the left - you do so and when the TV won't break he says: well, you broke your own TV, sorry.

Riggghhhttt.

You are ethically wrong and deceitful - I would have NEVER pried up my keyboard except when your "agent" told me to - so YOU effectively damaged the latch. Especially since your "agent" refused to authorize shipment when we both knew it was a HARDWARE problem ( the machine was shutting down after 30 minutes for anyone interested - wouldn't play high end games for more than 30 minutes before shutting down).

Once again:

IF ALIENWARE ASKS YOU TO PERFORM PHYSICAL ACTIONS UPON YOUR LAPTOP - REFUSE AND DEMAND THEY FIX IT UNDER WARRANTY

otherwise, they have you right where they want you:

Trying to fix your own computer - saving them money, time and, if you break it, responsibility.

GREAT SUPPORT don't you think?

Jason

Collapse -
some thoughts
by richfei / February 25, 2005 1:10 AM PST

I don't know if you can approach any consumer organization to get them to intervene on your behalf. I know kron4 here in California (www.kron.com) can help intervene on these consumer matters. I sympathise with you, since this is pretty ridiculous and they should be held accountable.

Collapse -
SOOO Glad I ran across this forum on Alienware

This forum helped me make up my mind regarding my business doing ANY BUSINESS with Alienware.

Monday morning I was set to order 6 of Alienware's highest end desktop systems & 12 of their high end laptops for our field staff. I wanted to go with all one brand not only for compatability but for warranty repairs.

Based on this Forum I have made my choice. DELL gets my business for this purchase. NOT ALIENWARE.

One of the most amazing things I found in this forum was the person who was debating Alienware as one of their employees & poorly representing their company. The prudent thing to do would have been to contact the customer & go out of their way to correct the problem. If one of my employees even suggested discussing our business in a forum such as this they would be gone (fired) in a flash. Our motto is "Satisfy Our Clients".

Perhaps the people of "Alienware" are really aliens & don't know of the concept of customer service. Best of luck to you all on resolving your problems with Alienware. You certainly have helped me potentially saving my company several thousands of dollars.

Best regards,
Kyle Daniels, Presdient & CEO
AAXIS Security Technologies, LLC
PO Box 3634
San Diego, CA 92163-1634

Collapse -
Re: SOOO Glad I ran across this forum on Alienware
by FrenchyHey / March 5, 2005 11:28 PM PST

Glad we could have be of any use for you and I am glad too to have found that posting, Long live CNET and their forum as this is a good example of the power of the news net.

And to Alienware stop being alien toward your customer Wink and see your mistake for what it is.

Michel Derome
RMS Clerk
Canadian Forces

Collapse -
Damn Juan,...
by jcjam / February 24, 2005 2:50 PM PST

Just give him the part # and/or price. Seems simple enough. Hell just send it to him. 1 bad word = 5 bad words = 10 bad words. This stuff travels fast. I would refuse to open up one of mine that was still under warranty. What do ya do then?

Collapse -
Appalling service
by richfei / February 25, 2005 1:06 AM PST

This is really appalling service, and you're doing your company no favors in this forum. When someone has spent $3500 the least you can do is support the product, not hide behind policy. I don't know the person in question, but the least you can do is send him the part for free. Do you guys have any sense of decency or know the difference between right and wrong. You're equally culpable and you're just walking away.

Collapse -
Service
by rocks3906 / February 25, 2005 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Appalling service

What is the point of a warranty if the customer is supposed to try and fix the problem theirselves? To save the manf money. Alienware is after 1 thing. Money, once they have it they are happy it appears. I guess this is a buyer beware issue.

Collapse -
Appalling service
by DLBelton / March 3, 2005 9:34 PM PST

I agree 100% with richfei. Being in business myself, I sometimes eat $$$ to make a customer happy, even when it is the customer's fault.

Just look at the economics in this situation:
1: part broken, and I tend to agree that it is Alienware's fault, since they were telling someone that has admitted to knowing nothing about computers to open a laptop case which are tricky to open even when knowing how to do it.

2: part may cost Alienware possibly $20-$30 to replace.

3: Business lost because of bad business practices could run into thousands of dollars.

Now... Which option would you choose?? I know I would choose to just fix the laptop and make the customer happy. After all, he did pay extra for the warranty even after paying the super inflated price for an Alienware computer.

After seeing this, I would never recommend Alienware to anyone looking at buying a computer, and I make recommendations to 10-20 people daily. Most are high end business machines, but there are some that ask me about machines for their personal use and a lot happen to be avid gamers. I have actually recommended Alienware to a few in the past who wanted a top end gaming system and I knew cost really wasn't an issue, but I won't in the future. I do not recommend products if they don't meet a few requirements, and one happens to be customer support from the company.

Poor business choice on the part of Alienware. and very poor customer service.

Collapse -
What business are you in?
by quackerjack / March 4, 2005 5:13 AM PST

It'd be good to know. Your customers would know that you will pay for their mistakes just to make them happy.

So where would you end up? Lots of happy customers and you with negative profit, just to make your customers happy.

THere are policies and rules for a reason. Sure, once in a while they can be bended, but there is a big reason why they shouldn't be bended. PEOPLE ABUSE of them.

You will have more and more customers messing things up and saying pay for it because you did so for the other guy.

Collapse -
You've got to be kidding...
by revans61 / March 4, 2005 10:55 AM PST

They should change their service guidelines as well to never allow or force a customer to open a case that is under warranty or not. Juan first said that it was unfortunate that the case was not under warranty. THen in another post he said that they did do out of warranty repairs. Can't even tell the truth there.

So it is ok to diss a customer so that you won't lose $20 to $40 on a case? ANd this is supposed to be a large company? WOW....this post alone is going to cost Alienware mucho bucks. I will never refer anyone to Alienware products. Not when they do business like that. That is totally poor business and not a very reputable company in my opinion. ANd the extended warranty seems to be a rip-off esp. when part of their service requires the customer to do the work or at least try to do the work BEFORE they can even try send it in. That is rediculous. The customer breaks a part while being told they have to at least try the repair before sending it in and they are at fault?

You can't sit there and seriously defend a company doing business like that. If they get so many repairs to cause the company to lose money, then they need to get a better product on the market. SOunds like a fly by night company that doesn't expect to be in business
for very long.

Collapse -
RE: What businessare you in?
by KyleinSanDiego / March 5, 2005 9:40 AM PST

You, sir or madam obviously have no business sense....wow! As much a cliche if may be have you not heard of the saying "The Customer is Always Right" regardless if they are or are not.

We use the "Nordstrom Model" of customer service & we are very profitable as well is Nordstrom's. All good businessmen/women will make the problem right or at least give it their best effort = positive word of mouth advertising which is priceless.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.