Laptops forum

General discussion

Alienware 51m 7700, hard drive problem

by CrashT / January 12, 2006 5:03 AM PST

Relevant system specs:
Intel 3.2 Ghz HT processor 5xx
1 GB DDR2 RAM
60 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi Travelstar E7K60

I had a system crash caused by Norton GoBack and then had to clear my CMOS. So, this is the situation now:

I was getting the "Operating System Not Found" error. So, I tried installing XP again, but installation couldn't detect my hard drive (I can see it in POST). I got another hard drive identical to the one I had already, but installation still can't see the hard drive. I tried to see if I could install a third party SCSI driver, but it didn't let me.

I believe the hard drive controller is showing up in the CMOS (PCI SCSI: SATA378 TX2plus DO). So, is there something else in the CMOS that is set incorrectly or is this something bigger?

My system isn't under warranty, since I bought from a guy off of Ebay. It was working fine until I made the mistake of installing GoBack.. So, any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Here are my current BIOS settings:

I/O Device Configuration:

Serial port A: Enabled

Serial port B: Enabled
Mode: FIR

Parallel port: Enabled
Mode: ECP (Other modes: Output Only, Bi-Directional, EPP)

Route Port 80h cycles to: LCP (Other mode: PCI)

Advanced:

HyperThreading Technology: Enabled

Power on Beep : Disabled

Card Reader : Enabled

RAID/ATA Mode Select : ATA Mode (Other modes: RAID, Disabled... I had to clear the CMOS because I selected Disabled once and then I couldn't even access the CMOS)

Display Time on LED : Enabled

Boot Order:

IDE 0: NEC DVD +/- RW ND 6500A-(P
PCI SCSI: SATA378 TX2plus D0
IDE 1:
USB FDC:
PCI LAN:

Excluded from order:

USB HDD:
USB CD-ROM:

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alienware 51m 7700, hard drive problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alienware 51m 7700, hard drive problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update:
by CrashT / January 12, 2006 6:19 AM PST

After some more research, I was able to figure out that I need to install a SCSI driver from Alienware at the beginning of the XP installation. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

The problem is that I can't access the driver area without an account. To get an account, you need to enter the original zip code, e-mail address, and account number which were registered at the time the computer was sold. Yuck. I'll have to e-mail them directly.

Can I get some love for Alienware!? Cool

Collapse -
Success
by CrashT / January 13, 2006 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Update:

Well, my machine is now up and running. I've just got to get an internal wireless driver.. Yeah, I need an account to get one. Grin

Thanks for reading..

Collapse -
same problem
by Rickw1 / January 27, 2006 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: Success

I am in the same situation as you. The first message in exactly the same set up I have. I would appreciate if you could tell me the easiest way to fix the problem.

thanks

Collapse -
Drive config
by CrashT / January 30, 2006 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: same problem

Ok, several questions.. Just want to double check.

1. Is your computer still under warranty?
2. What brand of PC are you using?
3. Can you get into your CMOS?
4. What configuration is or are your drive(s) in: RAID or plain SATA?
5. Do you have a floppy drive?

If your PC is still under warranty, make sure you go through your manufacturer's support, or you could void your warranty.

If you don't have a floppy drive, you're going to need one. An external USB one should do. I'll get you the links for drivers needed when you reply. If you are able to boot after the SCSI driver is loaded, then you shouldn't loose any data. However, I'm not sure what shape your disks are in. It's possible that you could loose whatever is on the disk. I hope you had a backup. I didn't..

Collapse -
Alienware 51M
by MENTORF / April 1, 2009 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Drive config

Can you please provide me with the link for this file since i have the same problem with mine, this one will not recognise the HD but it does recognises the USB flash drive. so i think that i have the same problem as you did.

I can't access the Alienware since it requires the original Zip and E-mail .. who remembers that:)

Thanks
M.

Collapse -
SATA Conroller Settings
by Dell-Bill_B Dell staff / April 2, 2009 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Alienware 51M

I am not totally familiar with Alienware products, but I'll take a shot at contributing.

"RAID/ATA Mode Select : ATA Mode"

I am wondering what other available settings you have. Maybe you could change the SATA operation mode out of ATA, and XP setup will recognize the HDD without slipstreaming the SATA driver into an XP CD, or using F6 to install it from USB during setup. Of course, if you do manage to change SATA operation and get Windows installed, you still have to deal with getting the correct SATA driver installed from within Windows, and changing SATA mode back to ATA.

Collapse -
Alienware 51m 7700, hard drive problem sata driver install
by bakedn08 / October 30, 2009 7:26 PM PDT

Card Reader : Enabled
must be dissabled when installing sata drivers in windows.
try useing sager 9880, or prostar's manuels off there sites, there all clevo D900T rebranded. read the manuel it has a section on just hard drive installs that must be fallowed %100 step by step. hope this helps you out

Collapse -
Windows XP will not recognize hard drive during install.
by eureka1x / August 15, 2010 8:47 AM PDT

Solution:
The reason why this is happening is due to the bios not recognizing the hard large LBA hard drive. Update your bios to the newest updat and the bios will recognize it. Make sure to go into the bios after booting and checking whether LBA is inabled. The Windows XP installation will now recognize the drive and load!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.