Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Alberta (think Montana then up a bit) is suffering rolling

by Ziks511 / July 9, 2012 3:49 PM PDT

blackouts from excessive power usage due to the heat.

It will probably be here by the weekend which means more hot weather. I have re-configured all of my electrical usage to minimize the drain on the circuit which feeds my Air Conditioner, and my CPAP machine. I woke up one day last week, to find that the breaker had popped, and that I'd pulled off my mask in my sleep. Because of the sleep apnea I slept about 12 hours, and woke up feeling dreadful, only to find that the breaker (actually a resettable fuse) had fried. Bought 3 new ones this weekend, and my what a difference they made. Then again it's been cool. Next weekend and the following week will be the test.

Good luck everyone south of the Border. I hope this is confined to Canada to give you guys a break.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alberta (think Montana then up a bit) is suffering rolling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alberta (think Montana then up a bit) is suffering rolling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

Have you tried a "face down sleeping mask" or a specialty pillow? Ever tried lying down on a massage table with the hole in it for the face? Very restful and no stale air problem like in regular bed. The problem with such is adequate air flow under the face. I turn on a fan in my room and just use one arm or the other to keep my face off the mattress and together that allows enough air flow so I'm not rebreathing too much. Arm goes numb but I keep switching them during the night. Also could lift the head of the bed so there's a gentle downward slope toward the foot, about 4-8 inches depending on what works for you. Takes some pressure off the upper body, redirects it, allows some to sleep better, especially those who get that "drowning" or breathless feeling due to fluid buildup in body. Might help apnea too. Many older people prefer to sleep in an recliner chair instead of a bed for much the same reasons. My father and a grandparent both slept in a recliner after the age of about 60-65. Interesting discussion here.

Collapse -
Thank you James for that useful tip. Yes, I do find massage
by Ziks511 / July 10, 2012 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: CPAP

tables with that padded ring for your face to be very comfortable, and odds are that position won't activate the sleep apnea since it's from the soft palate and tongue falling back and closing the airway. I do indeed sometimes sleep face down with my mask in between two pillows, but I have to be careful, because sleeping in that position can screw my back. The good news is that I am very accustomed to the mask now (7 years) and don't seem to have problems falling asleep with it. My other problem is Arthritis in one or the other shoulder, and sometimes a pinched nerve in my neck that leaves one hand or the other with pins and needles in the morning. But frankly, I'm just happy to be here, too many close calls.

I have just spent 5 months coaxing my back along with lots of meds, and a big square cushion from the couch for under my knees, which helps a lot. If I could persuade myself to sleep that way, I could probably sort that problem out in one night, but I'm a confirmed side sleeper.

My wife's mother slept sitting in a wing chair for the last 5 years of her life, but she was such a neurotic woman I couldn't tell if that was really necessary, or was just her fear of death, which she associated with lying in bed.

Collapse -
when my back is acting up

and I want to sleep on my side, I have a couch pillow on the stand by my bed. I put it between my knees. It keeps the upper leg up a bit and from pronating the back and making it hurt worse. You may have to try several different ones to find the right "thickness" of pillow and best if no pleats, beaded edge, nor buttons on it. You can make a square pillow fairly easy and put some of the filler in it and adjust thickness the way you want it with more or less filler before sewing up completely.

Collapse -
Oh man...
by Willy / July 11, 2012 3:40 AM PDT

Sorry to hear of your recent electrical problem. here, I stayed cool only because i didn't really do much and what I did was in the mornings. Once, it got hot I ran inside where it stayed cool for along time until the evening and the roof heat bled through. But, by then I could open the windows or fan the house out. Once, i was ready, turned the A/C on in the bedroom only room I can shut the door and did a wait game until cool enough to sleep. Because now when i sleep I sleep, out like a light because of my meds. I tried to do this w/o the A/C and got so stuffy or uncomfortable, I think i breakdown until I pass-out. So, I do mind how I stay cool inthis 100deg.+ heat. -----Willy Sad

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.