Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Airport Extreme got green light but NO Internet connection

by enohsan / March 22, 2011 3:21 AM PDT

I bought an AirPort Extreme Wireless-N this weekend and hooked it up to my cable modem at home. I used the Airport Utility to set up the base station and create a wireless network. At first I used DHCP to set up but got an a yellow light and a message saying that the internet connection was not working. So I hook my MacBookPro directly to the cable modem ethernet port and got all the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router and DNS information from my ISP, Cox Cables. I then connect the AE to the cable modem ethernet port and used the Airport Utility to set up the base station again. I chose manually set up this time with the IP address I got from ISP. I got it working without any problem and my MacBookPro was able to detect to the AE. However, I still can't access the internet. The light on the AE itself is solid green, but there is no connectivity to the internet. I'm at a wits end as to what to do next. Any help will be appreciated. I'm using Mac OSX v10.6.6.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport Extreme got green light but NO Internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport Extreme got green light but NO Internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would go back and start again
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 6:34 AM PDT

It "should" work flawlessly without having to mess with it too much.

reset it back to factory defaults, power down your computer, power down the Extreme and the modem.
Bring it all back up again in the reverse order. Modem, Extreme, computer. Wait until each one is ready before moving on to the next.
Once up, configure the Extreme using DHCP.

Collapse -
I almost forgot
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 9:09 AM PDT

as this thing is new, you can phone Apple support directly and speak with someone who will walk you through the whole process of setting this up.

That person will also be in a position to send you a replacement in the event that you have a defective one

Worth a call

Collapse -
It worked.
by enohsan / March 23, 2011 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I almost forgot

I tried what you suggested and it worked! Thank you. Should I turn on 5GHz dual band?

Collapse -
No reason not to,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked.

may even give you greater range

Pleased you got it working

Collapse -
Airport Extreme and Router
by enohsan / March 24, 2011 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: No reason not to,

My house is prewired with 6 ethernet lines going to6 different room wall jack. Can I put a wired router between cable modem and Airport Extreme? Will AE lose DHCP if it connects to router? Should I use ethernet switch instead of router?

Collapse -
Airport Extreme and Switch
by enohsan / March 24, 2011 3:50 AM PDT

Continued from my previous reply.
Since I don't want to install the Airport Extreme in the basement storage area where the outside cable line comes into the house, can I set up my home network in the following manner?

Cable Modem --- Switch --- Airport Extreme --- MacBook (Airport) and other PC (wireless)
| | |
| | |
To 5 different rooms

Collapse -
That configuration will work
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 24, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

The AE can be plugged into the network at any point.

You could even put the airport into one of the ports in one of the 5 different rooms.

No, AE would not loose DHCP because it would still be connected to the network.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.