Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Airport Express disappears from Airport Utility

by insarta / April 18, 2010 8:29 AM PDT

After configuring wireless security on my Airport Extreme base station, the Airport Express I use to stream iTunes music to my whole-house stereo system has disappeared. Airport Utility can't see it. Yes, I checked connections. All I get is a blinking yellow light on the Express. The base station works as its supposed to.

I have a 17" Powerbook G4 with a 1.33 GHz Power PC processor. I'm running MacOS 10.5.8

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport Express disappears from Airport Utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport Express disappears from Airport Utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reset the Airport Express,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

following the instructions that came with it.

The blinking yellow light indicates that it is not seeing the base station, or the rest of the network.

Could be due to a security problem that you created when you configured the wireless security.

P

Collapse -
Disappearing Airport Express.
by insarta / April 19, 2010 5:46 AM PDT

The Express is only visible when wireless security is off.

The problem clearly has something to do with the effect of the security setting. However, there must be something that allows both the Extreme base and the Express to be visible and still have security on the wi-fi.

I haven't been able to find anything on the Apple Support site that addresses this problem.

Collapse -
similar problem but secuirty is not the issue
by peter427 / May 7, 2010 9:20 AM PDT

I have an airport extreme and an airport express extending the network. The setup used to work flawlessly. Now for no apparent reason the express drops the connection (or is dropped). The airport utility logging and statistics show it as connected, but the icon has disappeared for the left panel in the utility, the network link is gone and I have to physically change something (anything) in the extreme setup to get it reconnected. Have changed bands - N& b/g N 2.4, N & a, N 5 - doesn't help. Tried changing channels and even automatic - doesn't help. Tried changing physical locations of devices doesn't help. Tried reset devices - doesn't help. Sometimes connection lasts for hours, sometimes minutes. Security mode is wpa2.
This is driving me crazy! This used to work!

Collapse -
That's to be expected.
by lanny3 / May 8, 2010 1:53 PM PDT

When you changed the security setting on your Airpot Extreme before changing it on your Airport Express, you orphaned it.

Easiest thing to do is to change your Airport Extreme back to the security setting that you used before. The Airport Express will reappear in your Airport Utility. Use the Airport Utility to change the security on the Airport Express. It will then disappear from Airport Utility. Then change your Airport Extreme security setting to match the setting on your Airport Express. Now your Airport Utility will show both.

It disappeared originally because you changed your router's security setting and left your Airport Express with a security setting that was incompatible with new setting on your Airport Extreme.

Collapse -
re;Airport Express disappears from Airport Utility
by peter427 / May 9, 2010 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: That's to be expected.

I guess I didn't make the sequence clear: the express spontaneously disappears from the utility listing FIRST, then I have to change settings to get it to reappear. Yesterday I tried resetting both devices but that didn't help. I also found that if I power off the express and then on again it will connect to the network. Another part I also don't understand is which the express connect shows in the utility graphing window but the device is not listed and in fact is unreachable as I can't access the network drive with finder and iTunes streaming fails.

Collapse -
One more time.
by lanny3 / May 15, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

The security settings for the Airport Expresses and the Airport Extreme have to be the same. If you're using iTunes streaming, your Airport Expresses are set to join your network. They can only join the network if they're using the same security settings. You need to set the settings on the Airport Expresses first, and the Airport Extreme 2nd.

Collapse -
Airport Express problems
by dlgallet / May 15, 2010 6:24 PM PDT
In reply to: One more time.

I too have a problem with Express dropping out when streaming. Usually 15 minutes into the stream from iTunes. I found that if I unplug the Express from outlet for a few seconds and replug, it restarts in a few minutes. My express is always on, green light and all. It seems to be very warm all the time.

Collapse -
AE
by loraft / December 9, 2012 10:03 PM PST

Hello,

did you find any solution how to fix it?

Thans

Collapse -
Having the same problem
by Farjamed / May 24, 2010 4:36 PM PDT

Peter,
I am having the same problem with my airport express. I am using it as a router as I am currently away from home from a few days. It works for a while, then drops out for no apparent reason. The light on the airport express remains green, and the network shows up under network preferences. It does not, however, show up in Airport Utility. Sometimes my laptop (i5 mbp, os 10.6.3) still thinks its connected to it but i have no internet connection and it will not be accessible through airport utility. The thing that makes it weird to me is that it shows up as a network but times out when i try to connect. Seems like the same problem you are having, its there and its not there, at the same time. It seems to solve itself if i simply unplug it and then plug it back in. I dont understand whats causing this though and need to resolve it. Very frustrating. I posted this over on the apple site too.

Collapse -
Airport Utility doesn't recognize my Airport Express
by jretzner / July 11, 2010 2:06 PM PDT

I've been using Airport Express with iMac (2.8 GHz with 10.6.4) It worked rather well but now is not recognized by Airport Utility. I've read the above entries about security settings and am wondering is there is a way to erase what is there and start from scratch. Any ideas or tips? Thanks.

Collapse -
same problem
by d1369b / June 2, 2011 2:53 AM PDT

I have a new imac and an airport express. Actually, everything is working, get on internet, printer share, itunes stream. No complaints, however, my airport express never shows up in Airport Utility. Not that I need to configure anything, but it doesn't make since that my computer is using the airport network but the utility doesn't see it. Seems like a bug that Apple needs to fix.

Collapse -
I doubt it's a bug that Apple needs to fix,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem

if it was, then thousands of people would have the same problem.

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

I doubt it is a bug. However last month I did encounter a real stumper. The really neat thing is it made me think this could be used to hide a WAP. The owner had set the WAP to European and was able to set the RF channel higher than 11. No machine could find it!

That's not a bug.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.