iPhones, iPods, & iPads

General discussion

AirPlay and iPad 4 Safari web browser

by mosmodmod / April 9, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

Can I mirror iPad 4 Safari web browser to a HDTV using AirPlay?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AirPlay and iPad 4 Safari web browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AirPlay and iPad 4 Safari web browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, with the correct Apple hardware
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2013 4:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by mosmodmod / April 9, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

Thanks for your fast reply but are you 100 % sure?

Collapse -
I'm at 100%
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

My brother did this with said hardware. However since folk often erect firewalls in routers, they often fail to get it to work.

Strange idea to firewall LAN communications.
Bob

Collapse -
Just certain ports, if I recall correctly
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2013 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm at 100%

Otherwise, for most folks it should work with few if any issues.

Collapse -
Here's an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

Your router's firewall can block many features. You have a choice here to turn it off or dig in and find out what ports and more to allow. Given the cost of support and the fact that routers in the past never did this, my vote for those that don't want to become Network Ninja Gurus is to turn it off.

With that out of the way, an example from a router I recently discussed.

See Page 43: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200/DGN2200_UM_3Feb11.pdf

"Your modem router has a firewall that blocks unauthorized access to your wireless network and permits authorized inbound and outbound communications. Authorized communications are established according to inbound and outbound rules. The firewall has the following two default rules. You can create custom rules to further restrict the outbound communications or more widely open the inbound communications:
• Inbound. Block all access from outside except responses to requests from the LAN side.
• Outbound. Allow all access from the LAN side to the outside"

Notice how an inbound access from WiFi is blocked? You'll want to change that.
Page 44 (using the page counter in the PDF viewer) shows the default is BLOCK ALWAYS.

This means features like access to a DLNA, NAS or other server can fail.

That's all ports blocked, right out of the box on this and other routers.
Bob

Collapse -
I believe you, but...
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2013 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's an example.

...the strangest thing is, I set up new equipment at probably two or three residential sites without having to dig around to be able to punch a hole through fort knox. Weird that I didn't have such issues with the NAS portion anyway. Rarely do i (intentionally) bother w/ anything DLNA related since it stinks to high heaven ;).

Are you sure the fact that this task involves Apple hardware isn't the issue here as well(?)

Edit: I found the following sites which list into the actual holes that may need to be punched for it to work properly.
http://www.techhive.com/article/258802/how_to_mirror_your_ipad_display_to_your_hdtv.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2463

Collapse -
Remember I only get the hard calls.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe you, but...

So my view is from the times the tech fails. So in my visits or calls I get a much higher percentage of systems that do all this firewall off the LAN or WiFi. As we just set it to off because folk loathe to pay for the tech to come out and punch holes in the firewall, I can't answer your question.,
Bob

Collapse -
I guess I could...
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2013 6:58 AM PDT

...just be a fanboi and blame Apple instead (ROTFL) Happy

cheers

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I guess I could...

I thought what Apple did was correct and we had it all wrong.
Bob

Collapse -
You are thinking of this backwards
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2013 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Why would Apple put up incorrect information regarding support of their own products(?)

I gave you the keys to the car, you now have the power to drive it Wink

Collapse -
good info..
by SuperSavingMom / April 9, 2013 4:46 PM PDT

this was some very good info ,, got rid of the firewalls and it works,,, cool
thank you for giving us the key to the monstertruck,,, i got the powerrrrrr..hihihihiihi..
my son says im a genius,,thnx

Collapse -
Rock and roll(!) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2013 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: good info..

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.