Internet Service Providers forum

Air conditioning shuts off internet?

by TehShoeboxes / June 24, 2011 3:52 PM PDT

Here's the problem I'm having: Every time I'm on my computer playing any online games or even watching hulu for example, there are times where my internet will suddenly cut out. When I'm gaming there are times where I can watch what's happening, but am unable to move or chat or do anything like that, so it seems like it's not a full disconnect. The odd thing is that most of the times that this occurs the air conditioning is on or comes on a few moments later. I know that it could be a power drop due to the wiring in the old house I'm staying in, and to try and get around that I hooked up both my modem and my router to a battery backup in the hopes it would provide it a more steady power supply.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Air conditioning shuts off internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Air conditioning shuts off internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
battery backup
by bill012 / June 24, 2011 9:33 PM PDT

The battery backup should have solved your issue. I assume you can unplug the battery from the wall for a short time and you do not go down. Make sure there is nothing else in the path. Sometime depending on how exactly you get your internet there is a powered device where the internet enters the building, most the time these have their own battery but that could be bad.

A better way to see if your internet is up or not is to run constant ping commands in the back ground. Open 2 command prompt windows and on one ping a well known ip like On the other ping the gateway your router uses to talk to the internet. (it will be the second hop in most trace routes). Now minimize the windows. When you think you have a issue you can open these and see if you have loss.

Building wiring fault is not a good thing. I would not recommend you mess with it but it sound like you have already been putting things in the outlet to test. Generally what this means is the UPS is seeing voltage on the neutral. If the hot and neutral were wired backwards to the outlet it will do this. It could also mean it is seen a large difference in the voltage between the neutral and the ground. Since the neutral and the ground are both connected to ground someplace (where depends on building codes) there should not be a voltage difference.
They make small plug in devices that will test the outlets much more safely than a multimeter.

Collapse -
Type of connection?
by SoljaBear / July 2, 2011 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: battery backup

What type of connection DSL or Cable? If DSL there are so many things that can cause situations as yours. I used to tech it long time ago for Earthlink until we got all 3500 of us outsourced far away. DSL is still brought to the consumer from phone wires. Cable is shielded.

One option would be to run a new power line from the fuse box to a new plug where the computer is. String it with shielded wiring, and get a voltmeter to check the numbers. Your ISP can tell you if the numbers or bad. I am no electrician, but install using the three prong plugs and grounding is very important. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
Useful info
by lotman1 / November 7, 2012 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Type of connection?

Very useful reply, thank you for your help.

All Answers

Collapse -
can I get an update on this thread?
by sbgnontechie / September 9, 2012 3:14 AM PDT

I googled this same question and came across this response, which frankly, is beyond my knowledge or interest in such things. I noticed that it is a year old, so I'm hoping that someone can provide me with some help with this problem.

Can you tell me more about hooking my router and modem (and telephone adapter - VOIP) to a battery backup?

Who should I call professionally for help with this problem? An A/C repairman? An electrician? I've already had my ISP check the DSL line - which is barely within acceptable levels. It's an older house in a neglected community so I expect that everything could be antiquated. I really need to get this fixed! Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I am using DSL provided by ATT. I have a modem, telephone adapter (Lingo), wireless router. ATT tells me that I need a new modem, yet it continues to work and I don't won't to replace things bit by bit that do not address the problem. I'm using a laptop computer with Windows XP.

In addition to the computer and telephone interruptions, I think that my cellphones that were charging got zapped also.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.