Tablets forum

Ainol novo flame 7 vs. kindle fire hd 7 vs. nexus 7

by mitchellfox / November 19, 2012 11:33 PM PST

I know that tons of people ask these questions, and that in the end it's my decision. But I'm still looking for advice:

I am looking to spend $200 - $250. I was going to get a kindle fire hd but was concerned about lack of sd slot plus it's a little bigger than some other 7 inchers, and it's a forked version of Android, so less flexibility, etc. Nexus 7 has got good reviews but no sd slot and minimal speaker (I wold have to use it's bluetooth for external speaker or headphones). novo 7 flame seems to have everything I want including decent display but I am concerned about build quality, the company's reliability, etc. and, even though it's not a nexus, can it use Google Now? You can see I'm all over the place with this decision. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ainol novo flame 7 vs. kindle fire hd 7 vs. nexus 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ainol novo flame 7 vs. kindle fire hd 7 vs. nexus 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
You answered your own question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 12:26 AM PST

If Ainol or the sellers can't answer this one question, this is your tip off that support is non-existant and you are buying another disposable tablet. I'll have my Nexus 7 in hand later today and the KF HD 7 is already in the office if you want me to check something on that one.

Collapse -
reply - follow-up questions about fire hd
by mitchellfox / November 20, 2012 1:49 AM PST

Thanks. How is the response of the kindle fire hd to touch? Is it pretty responsive? How is other navigation - choppy or fairly smooth? And, it is wider than the nexus 7, correct? Is it also longer? Is that difference noticeable? do you think that Amazon will be providing updates to the OS, so that even if it is never the same as Google's (for example, it is a forked version of ice cream sandwich right now), as opposed to Jellybean on nexus or Ainol. If I can sideload through my pc mp4s and mp3s, and access docs through an app like filespro, box or airsharing, and use other apps like splashtop and Picassa like i do currnelty on ipad, I might ber happy with fire hd.

Collapse -
KF HD response times to me seem fast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 2:01 AM PST

Since I can't find anything broken in the OS, why do we need updates? Sorry but I gotta ask.

If you want me to check something specific such as sideloading, I can do that. I will not root this KF HD since it's the office model we use to test our apps. But it appears we can load apps under development so there are other ways other than the Kindle store. I have to stop here because I'd be duplicating the web.

There are folk wanting to use these in place of a PC so the KF may come up short as many web sites don't work. Like the video at Yahoo Finance. CNET Videos are fine since they know to support tablets.

Collapse -
About a half day on the Nexus and a mixed bag.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 2:15 PM PST

The Nexus finally came close to the PC browsing as I've seen. But to get the usual sites to work I had to install the Firefox Beta for Android and Flash from an Android forum after I checked off the security box to allow such.

Very strange to see what is the leading edge Android tablet to require us to do that today but at least it passed our tests for our apps.

Collapse -
Ainol Has Good Quality Build
by KenH10 / November 20, 2012 5:56 PM PST

Ainol has come a long way as a tablet maker - their most recent models have stood out as good products, however, they are less known outside of Asia --

The brand new Novo 7 Legend is a 7" $99 tablet with an amazingly good number of features and quality processor and screen.

The Novo 10 Hero is 10" tablet that really impresses and also was just released this week and offers the same 1280x800 IPS screen as the Flame and the Flame's strong processor.

As for the Flame - overall it is a great tablet - the screen is super nice and the 5-pt Multi-touch is a lot better than the Nexus 7 (Not Sure Why???) but when you zoon in and out on na image - the Flame is much more fluid and non-dragging, -- for some reason the Nexus 7 has a slight drag with the image a bit.

One of the first resellers in the U.S. that seems to carry both of these models is a site called TabletSprint.-- they also offfer a few 3G Android tablets as well --

Collapse -
(NT) At least at 99 bucks you won't be heart broken.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 10:52 PM PST
Collapse -
go go china
by talkslow2me / April 4, 2013 10:11 PM PDT

I too am looking into the chinese tablet market for 7 inch tablets

Hyundai t7s has hdmi (IMPORTANT), 1280x800 16 gb, sd slot, 5mb camera, etc etc. Supports android 4.2

And the Novo Flame is on my list too. Both about $180 with shipping.

I wanted to get the nexus 7 but it has no hdmi. and Kindle Fire HD....bit bulky and not as fast and no camera anywhere.

unfortunately these cheaper chinese models have more quirks in their models, and im scared of lack of support.

Collapse -
My Kindle Fire HD has a camera.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: go go china
Collapse -
china town..
by SuperSavingMom / April 9, 2013 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: go go china

He the chinees got some wikked gadgets,, but they are all build to break,,why is that...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.