The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

After years of listening I must say goodbye

by tashman / February 3, 2010 9:09 AM PST

I wanted to voice my opinion and let the buzz crew know that I am no longer going to be listening to the show. I've been a listener for 2 maybe 3 years. Over those years I've listened to the show get less relavent and less useful for me.

It is hard to pinpoint when it started to go downhill but lately the topics you choose to cover and the amount of time that is wasted on covering those topics is just become to much for me to stand. Along with that It seems like the hosts and I like most of them don't seem prepared or while talking about a given subject seem to say things that are completely inaccurate, these go uncorrected in later shows leaving me to believe that either nobody cares or nobody actually finds out that wrong information has been given out.

It isn't entirely your guys fault, I work in IT and by that very nature I'm knowledgable and maybe more informed than your average computer user. I have become more and more upset with the mainstream computing envirnoments using technology to lock people in to devices, systems, etc. You name it big companies are now using technology to entrap and dumb down otherwise smart and intelligent people. I've become more and more interested in companies, individuals and hardware/software that doesn't entrap, doesn't force me into a given way of thinking. In short when I purchase something I own it I'm not renting it and I don't feel the need to have the company I purchased it from continue to be involved in my life, or the use of the device I have purchased. This has led me to one OS, Linux and one way of thinking Open Source. I'm not going to rant on about how great my choice is, I don't think anyone would care. It works for me and that
is my whole point, it works for me. Unfortuntely this choice has made your show and shows like yours unimportant to my continuing knowledge and general enjoyment. I wish the show well and maybe sometime in the future you will cover the things I have come to enjoy and use.

Just incase anyone is interested I use the following devices in my daily life.

MythTV - DVR

N900 - My everything device.

Tosibia NB205 - My coffee table netbook. I use this 95% of the time when at home.

OpenSuse 11.x Home Computer - This is my Home server and Home desktop, I normally am remoted into this box from any of my other devices, for a few things I actually sit down at it.

tim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After years of listening I must say goodbye
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After years of listening I must say goodbye
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good luck
by Slikkster / February 3, 2010 12:35 PM PST

I fully understand your viewpoint. I think you have two things going on here. Part of the problem with the inaccuracies and ill-preparedness you perceive has to do with the topicality of the show. If news breaks, they feel they need to cover it. The problem is that they're not necessarily fully versed on the nuances or ramifications of particular topics, or even that well informed on a particular area at all. Hey, no one knows everything. But on those occasions, bring in an expert to lay it out, and hopefully one without a bias. Or, be upfront and refer to the news, but tell the audience you want to analyze what's going on before simply regurgitating views of other tech geeks with a blog. Definitely don't try to fake your way through it. There's no excuse for deciding to cover a topic that no one has really done their homework on.

To wit: I was listening to a recent episode of "The Real Deal" with Tom and Rafe. They've adopted this new format where they take live calls and try to answer emails on tech topics, some of which are tech hardware/software questions. I cringe sometimes when I hear the advice given, such as one of them suggesting the use of a hub to extend a network vs. a much smarter choice of using a switch. I'm sitting there shaking my head wondering why they are doing this when their expertise doesn't really fall into that area. Again, play to your strengths. By way of contrast, they recently had one of the originators of the mp3 format on, and that was very enlightening (to the extent that I could understand his German accent, lol).

As far as the topics not being relevant, that's simply a matter of the choices you've made. The old saw attributed to bank robber Willie Sutton applies: When asked why he robbed banks, he's purported to have said "cuz that's where the money's at". They're going to talk about topics that concern the greatest numbers of listeners. For all the benefits of Linux, it's (knowing that "it's" is a misnomer) still a very niche OS in the mainstream world, Ubuntu or no Ubuntu. Same for a lot of open source software.

Collapse -
nit picky
by CascadeHush / February 4, 2010 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Good luck

I think hub and switch are pretty much interchangeable terms now. I don't even think you'd be able to find an old school hub anymore. I think we used to call them 'switching hubs' at one point.

they both perform exactly the same function.

Collapse -
Not quite...
by Slikkster / February 4, 2010 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: nit picky

I'll take your point that ethernet hubs are getting harder to find, but while they may both perform the same function in adding ports to the network, switches do so intelligently --directing traffic to specific ports while hubs simply broadcast/repeat traffic to every device. Hubs generally work in half-duplex mode while switches generally operate in full duplex mode.

Now, in a small home network, is a hub vs. switch going to make that much of a difference? Maybe not. But that's not the point. The point is that if some non-tech-savvy person writes in with a question about how to add additional ports to their network because all of the router outputs are used up, one would expect that the tech person would direct them to search online for the most appropriate device. In the year 2010, a hub isn't that device. Note that the other host of the podcast correctly used switch vs. hub without drawing further attention to it.

And this is just one of the examples I've heard. On another listener question, one host simply said "I'm out of my league on that one. I don't know anything about it". That's laudable for candor, but makes one wonder what the exercise is all about. My point is not to disparage the hosts, but to say that they should play to their strengths in presenting a podcast. Answering tech hardware questions off the cuff in a live phone call or an email that hasn't been researched is a recipe for misinformation, and that doesn't reflect well on anybody.

Collapse -
Well said.
by ki6amd / February 3, 2010 4:38 PM PST

I must say I couldn't agree with you more, though I continue to listen to this show either because I need something to fill my podcast listen time, or to torture myself. I don't know which really, but I'm glad to see you're a N900 owner (I wish I was... I still have my N810 though.)

Personally comments like the one on episode 1157, where they compared the N900 to the JooJoo (as Molly and Natalie did) pisses me off, because it shows a real lack in knowledge about the technology that technical people use. How can the people that at least understand the different between a VPN and a proxy, not understand the difference between a smart phone and a web tablet?

I might be joining you soon, I just wish BOL could return the way it was/seemed a few years ago. I too am in the IT industry (Net Eng) and a Linux / GNU fan. I hate products locking me from using MY devices, I'm sure we could have a hours-long conversation about it too, no need to go there.

If you find a podcast that is daily that is informative, and appeals the the "Open" crowd, let me know.

Collapse -
good-day
by PressToLight / February 4, 2010 3:09 AM PST

I think I can relate to your issues for I tuned you out after about your third or forth sentence. Your viewpoint would have been more enjoyable if you added the "it's not you, it's me" phrase.

Collapse -
I don't understand goodbye posts.
by isting / February 4, 2010 5:26 AM PST

There are many podcasts that I have quit listening to over the years. I simply deleted the feed. I have never found it necessary to post a dissertation about why I deleted the podcast feed.

Some episodes are not as good as others, but I will stick with BOL.

Collapse -
After years of listening I must say goodbye
by wizkids32 / February 4, 2010 6:44 AM PST

That is your opinion bye bye

Collapse -
That's your choice.
by Magishine / February 13, 2010 6:18 AM PST

I've been listening since early 2006 and it seems to me to be the same as always. I don't listen to BOL just for the news. I listen for the commentary as well. If I really wanted just the news, I'd listen to one of the many news podcasts out there.

That's just me though.

Collapse -
i dig it
by Natronx / February 15, 2010 8:32 AM PST

Unfortunately I dig what he's saying, at least part of it. Buzz could be better if it once again focused the voice and emails on callers that leave accurate "well actually" voice mails.

I love hearing the corrections, but the problem is that we're hearing fewer "well actually" voice mails, and more cute personality driven voice mails (which are not the show's strong point).

Leave the cute voice mails to John Tesh, and give us informative researched "well actually" voice mails. I say well researched because many of the "well actually" voice mails played recently have been incorrect and the well actually callers are not taken to task.

I listen to learn and to be entertained, in that order. Tim maybe feels the same way.

(Still) love the show. Happy

Collapse -
Thank you
by dab2464 / February 16, 2010 6:13 PM PST

Thanks, I thought I was the only one.
The latest shows have boiled down to "it' not an iPhone or iPad" and 30min rants about overprices mobile providers.
With Molly back full-time it was just the last straw for me. (the high pitch "REALLY!!" from her is like nails on a chalkboard for me).
Will try "The Real Deal" next.

Collapse -
listening since 2005, but...
by giorgitd / February 18, 2010 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Time is limited and I find myself turning to BOL less and less these days. There are *many* ways to get the tech news, but *few* ways to get opinions I trust (or can calibrate, at least). As BOL moves toward reporting and away from their strength (interpreting/analyzing), I find less value in listening. No criticism, but I do think that BOL is deemphasizing their real strengths. For me, that creates a weaker value proposition and I'm naturally migrating to other activities.

Collapse -
Ohhh ok
by surfpark / February 18, 2010 1:42 PM PST

Oh boy. Molly's slurping geek impression hit too close to home. Another one bites the dust.

Collapse -
But the show is called "BUZZ out loud" not NPR Tech News...
by robstak / February 22, 2010 2:29 AM PST

First off, I can at least comprehend what you all are writing- I've been listening since day 1, and the podcast has definitely morphed over the years- but I feel as if your opinions are based on a false assumption of what BOL is as a podcast.

Buzz Out Loud: "Each episode, five times a week, the crew analyzes, interprets, and argues about what all this technology means and what it's doing to us."

What I don't see on the page is: "Each episode, five times a week, the crew reports the tech news of the day, no bull, no bs."

You can call me nit-picky but you can't be mad when you buy a prius and then you can't tow your boat with it. Buzz Out Loud is fun, light, and gossipy (BUZZ). You get news but its more an EDITORIAL from some big tech personalities. the end.

If you are looking for the news, perhaps you should look here:
http://news.cnet.com/daily-podcast/
C|Net News.com's Daily Podcast.

Hopefully this helps clear things up for you guys. Happy

-Dr. Karl

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.