Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

After a Windows Update on my XP Pro, teh trouble began..HELP

by karenwashere / February 2, 2013 11:11 AM PST

The day began ok, the usual Windows updates were found at 3am, and then Windows asked if i would like to restart to apply the updates, so I did, as usual. Restart seemed to take a long time, and when all the noise stopped, the monitor screen was black. The light on the monitor was orange, I wiggled the mouse, nothing. Usually this is where it turns green light and then everything is fine. Not fine today! I tried restart a few times, same deal. Then I found to go to Safe Mode, did that, type in run Msconfig ok then Boot.ini was chosen. then BaseVideo then reboot! It worked, everything shows up, except its in 8bit and a pop up saying resolution is very low. If I go to Properties and change it, and hit apply it restarts and then I get the black monitor. But as long as I go to safe mode, and do the above, the entire monitor shows everything on my PC. Whats wrong? I ran diagnostic and it says its all good, also tried to update the Radeon drivers but it says I have the latest. Anyone have any ideas? I only use this to do emails and play old games like Age of Empires and Diablo (the old versions that run on XP) but it works and it runs super fast and now it does nothing except piss me off with the black screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After a Windows Update on my XP Pro, teh trouble began..HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After a Windows Update on my XP Pro, teh trouble began..HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd go to Device Manager & revert video driver
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2013 11:20 AM PST

It sounds like something happened to your video driver. I'd go to Device Manager and right-click the video driver, and have it revert to the previous one. Did you by chance opt to load a new one via Windows Update? That could explain what's happened because getting drivers from other than the manufacturer has been known to cause this kind of thing.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Video Driver cant be reverted
by karenwashere / February 3, 2013 12:57 AM PST

I went to the Device Manager, there were no previous video drivers to revert to. Original driver was set in 2006, has not had any additions. No updates available. It says I have the latest driver.
Any other ideas?
I am not sure what to do at this point...

Thanks!

Collapse -
Answer
The clues here to me are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 1:02 AM PST

The 8 bit and old video driver you noted below from 2006.

I know folk are getting irate about this old OS and how we are expected to know how to find and install drivers since that Microsoft "Update Driver" button has never been a good idea if it ever worked and if it worked has resulted in some folk having to start over.

OK, with that out of the way you know to install the OS first (you have that step done) and then we install our motherboard chipset drivers then if we have HD audio we need the MSUAA, and finally audio then video drivers.

None of this is automatic. And all this has some million discussions so I'll keep it short.

Use the drivers that are for your machine.
Bob

Collapse -
I am still clueless...
by karenwashere / February 3, 2013 5:39 AM PST

Went to Dell, and downloaded the drivers for MY OS. Loaded it on external Hard Drive then uploaded it on Dell under Safe Mode. (it will not let me go to the internet on this computer even safe mode networking) anyway opened the zip and installed the new driver for the Radeon x300 then restarted the computer. Same stuff... restarts then goes black then flashes on screen NO SIGNAL along with that lovely orange light.

Anyone else? I have another source saying it could be the PSU on this as the computer uses different amounts of electricity to run different stages of the power up in the VGA mode. So looking up that for now....

Collapse -
That's real progress. Next, change the video setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: I am still clueless...

This old OS would indeed do exactly that under some conditions. For example some video drivers would by default select a video mode the display could not use. Again, we are dealing with an ANCIENT OS that is not user friendly.

It's expected that its owner know to try safe mode again and set the video mode to something compatible. I can't guess what that is, that is, you as the owner, operator of this old OS were expected to live with annoying quirks like this.

If this was mine I'd know this or try 800x600 in safe mode.

Also, some machines were upgraded and again it was expected the owner know if this was quirky in any way such as requiring the user to set it up with the video plugged into once connection and following some arcane steps, shutdown, move the video cable and then start up.
Bob

Collapse -
Its 7 years old and this is the first problem it has had.
by karenwashere / February 3, 2013 10:51 AM PST

It was working P-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y and then the update and then the black screen saying No Signal. It has never had a problem, nor have I ever had to replace anything on it and it has never had to have the resolution changed or altered. Before the resolution was maxed it and it ran very fast and never had a glitch to it at all, so i cant complain but I don't want to buy a new computer because I only use this one for email, Google searches, playing OLD computer games and writing real letters and doing things on that doesn't require the fastest thing out there, so its fine for me. But I have re-installed the drivers, didn't do anything for the problem. I have also reset the resolution, still when it reboots to set up in normal mode the same thing happens. Black screen with NO SIGNAL and the orange light from the monitor telling me yet another idea has failed to repair my old computer....

Collapse -
Then you get to go back to a backup that worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 1:04 PM PST

At 7 years you must have a backup of this system to restore to. It's been long enough for that and to learn all about XP. It's a very old system and even today I'm encountering folk that think it has been updated or fixed. Sorry no.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.