Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Afraid to use Register Cleaners!

by Anastasius Vetch / October 19, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

How do I know what I can safely remove from my computer?

I know my register needs a purge, my computer system is so constipated I can no longer send or receive emails! But being as I am computer-jargon illiterate, I am nervous that it will remove something of importance causing in the end more problems than it solved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Afraid to use Register Cleaners!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Afraid to use Register Cleaners!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The registry is not where to look. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 19, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

What spyware/adware/malware have you searched for? Try AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyware Blaster, all free, do a Google for them.

I use these to "finish up"; CCleaner, RegscrubXP, and EasyCleaner. Google.

Collapse -
Register Cleaner
by registercleaner / November 16, 2009 10:03 PM PST
Collapse -
Microsoft free ot trial software for cleaning up registry
by coffeejunkie / October 19, 2007 1:37 AM PDT

Windows Live OneCare, from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=c9c7dd57-636f-4820-9105-f6a5a0131859&crumb=catpage&catid=9d273393-92c9-4807-be9c-515a0d152415)
offers a free 60-day Trial. It contains a Performance Tune-up function that cleans up your registry.

I also use "Windows Installer Cleanup" (free from Microsoft) which list all programs installed on you PC. If some software was not properly uninstalled, it will be listed. You can then select it for removal.

As always, it's recommended that you create a System Recovery Point before you run any of these programs, in case you need to back-track.

Collapse -
Unclear ...
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2007 1:42 AM PDT

what you mean with "constipated", it's very unlikely a registry cleaner will do anything about it.

Why not explain your problem in stead of asking about the details of a solution that probably won't even work?

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you for your replies
by Anastasius Vetch / October 19, 2007 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Unclear ...

To Kees, I think I am being gently ticked off here.........

There was only one question Kees.

"How do I know what I can safely remove from my computer?"

or, How does someone with little knowledge of computer-speak wade through all the mumbo jumbo?

Sometimes when I have done a computer cleanout certain files have been removed which have stopped other things functioning properly.

"Constipation" was an analogy Kees.

Collapse -
Re: cleaning up
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2007 4:04 AM PDT

A good and safe way is ccleaner (free download). But it only cleans up files that obviously are no longer needed.

But it doesn't know if a running program is malware (that you would like to get rid of). You need anti-malware (anti-virus, anti-spyware) programs for that.
And it doesn't know if that two 20 Gb video files in your My Video folder are there because you want to keep them, or because you've viewed them a year ago and just forgotten they were there.
And it doesn't know if you run OSA (a rather heavy part of MS Office) or Windows indexing consciously or just by accident, so it won't do anything about it.
And it doesn't know if you want to keep that 25 Gb game because you play it every day or if you really want to uninstall it, because it's only occupying costly space and you'll never play it again.

Really the only way to keep your computer clean and running smoothly is to know YOURSELF exactly what's on it, and what's running, and what it's doing and why you run it or have it. No program can do that for you. That takes googling and studying and reading and asking concrete questions here or elsewhere. Not the general ones like "my PC is so full with stuff it doesn't send emails any more" or "what is a good registry cleaner".

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I Like WinPatrol
by Ol Rod / October 21, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

Hi, I Don't post very often, WinPatrol can tell you what is running in your computer. Then, if you subscribe ( yes it costs money, but I think well spent) you have access to an online database. You select the thing that you want to know about, WinPatrol explains what it is in plain talk, then advises if you should keep or remove. Then if you choose to remove, it can take out what you select. I agree with the others that you also need Anti-Virus. I have a paid AVG, then I use Avast! free for computers with small capacity. I also use AdAware and Spybot S&D if i think I got a problem. WinPatrol, AdAware, and Spybot do not keep the nasty stuff out, they just help clean up the mess if somethin gets in.
Ol Rod

Collapse -
Still having trouble
by Anastasius Vetch / October 26, 2007 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I Like WinPatrol

Thanks everybody, and thanks Kees for that detailed reply, and Ol Rod too.

I have the Charter Security Suite which is supposed to do everything in the way of keeping my computer secure, but after downloading the latest version the computer has never worked properly! I have not been able to access my Incredimail account for over a week now.

Charter did a diagnostic test and found that there was a virus on the computer which has now been eliminated, but the computer is still not working properly.

I bought a Sandisk MP3 player for my granddaughter. I plugged it into the computer in the hope of downloading some songs on to it but the computer does not recognize the device!

Collapse -
Me too
by ruby2zdy / October 26, 2007 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Still having trouble

I used a registry cleaner once and I too lost files that apparently were important. I had to go back to the last known good boot. Since then I've just let it go for fear of really messing up my system.

Collapse -
Post a HJT log
by tallin / October 26, 2007 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Still having trouble

A suggestion that will clear all this up for you if you follow this link

http://www.whatthetech.com/hijackthis/

The Experts will analyse for you and set you straight.

OR

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=6
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information.

Both totally different but excellent in their own way.

Collapse -
other things
by jthirtyfour / October 27, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

It may not just be your registry that is clogged. Your computers constipation may come from too many items in the start menu. Under "run" in the start menu try msconfig and look at all the things in the start up tab. You can Google each item to decide if you need it running all the time. If you have not run the defragmenter, that can make a huge difference too.

If you do run CC Cleaner, you can check all the registries before they are cleaned off.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaner
by George Gillingham / October 27, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

Registry Mechanic is a program that has worked well for me for some time now. It can be acquired by accessing http://www.winguides.com

Collapse -
Registry Mechanic
by ruby2zdy / October 29, 2007 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry Cleaner

I used this & had to go back to the last good boot. It really screwed my computer up.

Collapse -
Re: Registry Mechanic
by Dave Dinmore / November 4, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry Cleaner
Collapse -
Registry Repair
by d_zirkler / October 27, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

Use MIGO software. Find it at Fry's or download it from migo.com.

Collapse -
Regsitry Cleaner is fantastic..
by Ladymaggic / October 28, 2007 3:10 PM PDT

Why would you be afraid to use a great product like Registry cleaner??

I downloaded it, and run it, and let it fix what it says 'needs repair'...and it has been well worth the low price...

I have no hesitation in recommending it to a 'newbie'..it certainly helped my computer work better..

Collapse -
Afraid to use Register Cleaners!
by henry26889 / October 28, 2007 3:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
registerycleaners
by ogdd223 / October 29, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

pctools is one of the best out there use it and be happy

Collapse -
not all the time
by kdmcsparks / October 31, 2007 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: registerycleaners

always used it until last time a virus tried to sneak through when i did, luckily norton got it

Collapse -
Re: cleaning up
by Kees Bakker / October 29, 2007 9:08 AM PDT

Anastasias,

Rereading this thread, I wonder if your problems are solved now. You asked about registry cleaners and you got quite a few answers on that, but I doubt if they helped. It might very well be your problems have a different cause and need a different solution.

So please feel free to open the discussion again. Then make a new summary of what the problem is, what you think about the possible causes and what you've done already to solve it.
It might help to tell your OS (Windows 98/ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista).

Kees

Collapse -
Its ok to use them
by richard black / November 1, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

currently you can get lots of software from the internet for cleaning the registry. its ok to use them and i'm currently use lots of the software provide and having zero problem using them. the software you will downloads just clean the default registry that your computer save them with no reason and lots of them were unused and that we call JUNK registry. also some software provide on cleaning the temporary files in your computer with registry cleaning too. currently there's lots of freeware software to choose for but i think the best and safest software recommended that you can choose is CCleaner. its a freeware and come with vista support. im still using it till im using my 5th notebook and got nothing problem to my hardware or windows.

Regards,
Richard Loa

Collapse -
Afraid to Use Reg Cleaner
by spaceracer1989 / November 3, 2007 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Its ok to use them

I have used ccleaner for a long time now and can honestly say it works like a charm. It has never messed up my computer and as long as you set a backup of your registry you should have no problem.

Collapse -
REGISTRY REPAIR: Consider the Reviews.
by denkile / November 16, 2007 6:30 PM PST

Review the reviews for registry repair and
system utilitiy suites:

Top Ten Reviews:

http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

http://registry-repair-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

CNET, download.com: (sort by Editors, User Reviews, Popularity)

http://www.download.com/System-Utilities/3150-2094_4-0.html?tag=dir

I have had very good results with Systweak
Advanced System Optimzer (ASO)
The repair and defragment work and have never caused a problem,
BUT the "Tweaks" have.

Besides Registry Repair I have found HDD defragment
at startup necessary to keep XP quick-on-the-click.
The Security Suite (TrendMicro):
_constantly defragments the HDD
_uses 200 MB RAM
_slows everything down

Collapse -
haha
by winsoftwareman / November 17, 2007 6:13 AM PST

that's probably not in registry. get a spyware and adware program and then scan and delete stuff that it calls dangerous. By the way, I ruined my old computer with a registry program, trying to make it go faster. I do not recommend them unless your computer is completely falling apart.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.