How To forum

Afraid my data drive was duplicated: almost full!

by Bobs415 / November 28, 2011 6:43 AM PST

Last year, the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy recommended reinstalling Vista in order to repair my 2-yr-old Dell laptop. Reinstalling all my files, after reinstalling my programs, was difficult for me, but I succeeded with most of it. This week, I attempted to back up my files on an 8 gig thumb drive and it asked me to install another backup disc to finish! I suspect the Geeks created a folder with all my files before the Vista reinstall, then I naively duplicated everything when I rebuilt my apps and files. How can I tell if this happened, and if it did, how do I correct it? I'm nervous about using a program like "Duplicate Cleaner" since I don't want to accidentally erase a critical file and make this issue worse. I appreciate your assistance with cleaning up after the "Geeks" got to it!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Afraid my data drive was duplicated: almost full!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Afraid my data drive was duplicated: almost full!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Why not backup such to DVDs first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:46 AM PST

Then you have a copy that you can always fall back on. DVD media here is at most 50 cents each. Is it worth 2 bucks to have a backup copy?

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 3:02 AM PST

Well, you're the only one who can see what's on that disk and if there are duplicates. We can't. And you're the only one who can go into Windows Explorer and delete those duplcates (deleting duplicate folders with the same content is the most easy and rather fast). We can't. And you're the only one who knows what files are safe to delete (the files you created yourself).
In case of doubt (like: "I see a folder called windows_old, created in the week the PC was with Best Buy and never accessed later, do you think I can delete it?) don't hesitate to post again.

Collapse -
by Bobs415 / November 29, 2011 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re:duplicates

Thank you, Mr. Obvious. Your fatherly response is received. I regret that I mis-articulated my situation in such a way that not everyone could comprehend it.

Collapse -
(NT) A Bob & Tom fan!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
The other solutions.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 5:38 PM PST

Buy a second 8 GB thumb drive and do what the backup program asks. Or buy a 16 GB thumb drive and hope that's big enough. Or buy a 1 TB external hard disk.

Or don't backup, just delete carefully.

I don't see any issues here.

Collapse -
No issue?
by Bobs415 / November 29, 2011 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: The other solutions.

If YOU don't see any issues here, then why did you waste my time posting your glaringly obvious responses? Or, is your knowledge and wisdom so erudite that you are compelled to respond to everything and everyone? Please don't bother me with your pap.

Collapse -
OK, a straight answer then.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 30, 2011 5:23 AM PST

How do you correct it? By deleting the duplicates.

If you're afraid of using a program like Duplicate Cleaner (I would certainly be afraid to do so myself) you do it in Windows Explorer (I would certainly do that myself).

What more assistance do you need? Or in other words: what issues do YOU see?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.