Windows Vista forum

Aero theme disappeared

by raduzhok / December 6, 2012 5:06 AM PST

I have an eMachines Vista OS. Yesterday, during an issue I had with my IE browser, I followed some directions on how to resolve that issue. One step was to boot into 'safe mode' and run a scan. Upon returning to normal mode, I saw that my Vista 'theme' was no longer in play. I went to Control Panel, looked under Appearance and Personalization, but was unable to find anything other than WINDOWS Classic theme, and the 'standard' theme. I got help over the phone with restoration, but when I tried to go back into safe mode today to run another scan, I found the Vista theme missing when I came back to normal mode.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Where and how can I get the Aero theme, again, so I can return my computer to a more aesthetic? All advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aero theme disappeared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aero theme disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Most don't want to know why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Aero theme disappeared

And to find out why we have to install forensics software to track what's doing it. No user I know wants to invest the week of effort.

Did you try the usual replies to the question on google? The question is as follows.

How do I enable Aero on Vista?

Collapse -
Aero theme not found
by raduzhok / December 6, 2012 6:27 AM PST

As it turns out, when I got help with trying to 're-enable' the theme, I got a message that this theme was not found. I just went to Microsoft and tried to get information on the Aero.theme, and the 'fixit' tool suggested I download and have it diagnosed. When I clicked on the download Fixit button, I got a message:

Microsoftfixit.Aero.RNP.26278257040120027.1.1.Run.exe "contained a virun and was deleted.

I'm still not sure whether this was an alert that the 'Fixit' found a virus, and Trend deleted it, or whether Fixit was telling me that it had been deleted because of a virus, previously found. What is odd, is that both times when I lost the theme, I'd been returning to 'normal mode' from 'safe mode.'

Any thoughts on that?

Everything was fine on that front day before yesterday. I did install WINDOWS updates, but other than that, only visited my email and two daily visited sites of mine.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Aero theme not found

There is an issue that many fixit's are going to be red-flagged as a virus or such because the app is going to do something to the OS files.

I've encountered folk that do not want to learn what a FALSE POSITIVE is and rather than spend days with them bringing them up to speed we reload the OS. I hope you can see what's up with FALSE POSITIVEs soon.

Collapse -
Might be a virus
by raduzhok / December 6, 2012 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Plenty.

While the fixit situation could be a false positive, is the flash player download also a false positive? I got one of the flash player reminders this morning, and went to d/l it, and I got the message:
"install_flashplayer11x32axau_gtba_chra_dy_aih.exe contained a virus and was deleted."

The odd thing is I was running a scan again this morning, but not in safe mode, and when it finished, as has happened on the last two days, there were '0 infections; and 0 cookies deleted' which I thought odd about the cookies. Then I checked the program for 'last scan done' and it was 12/5/12. So, it seems, something is preventing Trend from scanning completely.

What online scan site can I visit to provide me with a full scan of my system?

Collapse -
This is exactly where we reload the OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Might be a virus

If the owner is not accepting downloads from the maker's sites (Adobe or Microsoft for example) we reload the OS because the time it takes to educate them about this is not chargeable. It's horrible but true.

You have choices to make here. If you want another scan but here's Grif on that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.