Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Adwcleaner by Xplode is it safe to download?

by talonator / September 7, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

Any feedback on adwcleaner by Xplode? I want to get rid of the recommended for you pop ups. Have tried a few other things with some sucess but it is back again.
Have had a suggestion to download this but could not find it in cnet's download.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adwcleaner by Xplode is it safe to download?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adwcleaner by Xplode is it safe to download?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If it is back again, as you say...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 7, 2012 8:02 AM PDT

If it is back again, as you say, you may need more than the software in question can handle.

Did you read both pages in the thread titled, "Recommended for you" popup ads in the browser "? You may find something relevant to your specific situation. I realize you didn't ask about "fixes", but I thought I'd offer it anyway.

Have you tried Adblock Plus?

If per chance you're being "redirected" read the post titled "Redirects and its origins.." within the thread.

When you say 'Have tried a few other things with some success but it is back again', it's tantamount to being "half-pregnant". Silly
Or at least in my eye's it is.

Is it safe to use? I haven't had cause to use it, but some of the malware removal forums do, in addition to other tools.

I had to wade through a lot of adwcleaner spam (and shills) before I found the below information. Without first-hand knowledge, I can't vouch for it. But one site stated:

• It is important to note that everything that is found by AdwCleaner will be removed, with no options to "skip" any of the findings.
• Another gripe that I have against AdwCleaner is it changes the Internet Explorer default home page to Google.fr which is the France version of Google Search and everything is in French.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
This program worrks well
by pkutzer / January 1, 2013 12:12 PM PST

I has some spyware on my computer that I could not delete. I used this program and it deleted it and a bunch of others as well, my computer runs a lot faster now.

Collapse -
I would say so
by rubicon99 / January 7, 2013 2:50 AM PST

I used this after a recommendation on malwaretips blog to remove the horrible mysearchresults piece of rubbish. Got this accidentally after downloading Super C.
As per the recommendation it worked quickly and easily.

Only difficulty was in trying to donate via paypal as the page is in French and haven't quite worked out how to complete it!

Collapse -
by nosignals / September 10, 2013 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I would say so

I just used the new 3.003 version and there were boxes next to each it found and you can uncheck a box if you want and leave something you trust now. I guess they listened to everyone and fixed that.

Collapse -
Adwcleaner by Xplode is it safe to download?
by Stalagmite / July 3, 2013 9:09 AM PDT

Awcleaner works well, quickly and easily, BUT . . . as Carol previously noted, it will delete all files and folders that it marks as malicious without an option for "unticking" specific files or folders. This has not been a problem for me (so far,) but it does make me a little nervous. I would prefer more control over which items get deleted during the fix stage. Most Ad-Ware and Spyware cleaners will occasionally flag programs or files that I do not consider malicious and do not want to delete. As I said, so far I have not had a problem with Adwcleaner, but I would prefer an option to select or un-select files for removal.

Collapse -
It's why using the SEARCH first..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 11:21 AM PDT

Since posting last year, I've had cause to use AdwCleaner on numerous occasions. You say it makes you nervous knowing it will delete all it finds. It's why using the Search function, prior to Delete is imperative.

As you probably know by now, the information in the log file which opens after "a search", affords you the opportunity to research questionable items, or post and ask about them. I assume you read AdwCleaner Usage Instructions at the bottom of the page.

With the above said, I do understand what you're saying. I still think it's a great utility, if used properly.

If you ever have a question about what it finds, please don't hesitate to ask.

Collapse -
by Roberthorse / August 13, 2013 11:24 PM PDT

I am trying to delete all traces of Inksdata from my pc which is a vile intrusive browser I have just acquired.
When I run adwcleaner I do not get the Search option come up just Delete/Uninstall/Donate whereas http://malwaretips.com/blogs/inksdata-virus-removal/ says that Search should appear as an option.

Could you tell me what the problem is or should I just Delete.

Surely there should be some regulatory body that could stop this happening?
I've got windows XP Home Edition 2003 with SP 3 and use Internet Explorer

Collapse -
Re: AdwCleaner
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: AdwCleaner

If you didn't search for anything, it won't have found anything, so it won't delete anything.

It's not clear from your post why the Search button doesn't appear. Did you do point #2 from the instruction (close all open programs and browsers)? Did you try it after booting in Safe Mode?

Collapse -
As long as the Uninstall button exists..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: AdwCleaner

Only an observation .......

I've never encountered any complaints about the "Search" button missing. Yours is a first. It's not that it's not possible. Only that I haven't seen or heard of the issue existing before now. Sad

It's noted at Xplode's website, there are issues with AdwCleaner being blocked by Internet Explorer's Smart Screen Filter. But nothing about the Search button missing.

Where did you download it from? As long as the "Uninstall" button exists, I would suggest (after closing all open programs and browsers) clicking on "Uninstall", then confirming ("Yes") the prompt to remove AdwCleaner.

Install it again. Download: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

If you fail to see the "Search" button after a fresh install, I would further suggest posting at Xplode's Forum. Prior to doing so, select language in the upper right-hand corner, then reset. (As a result, the posts will be in both French and English)

Best of luck..

Collapse -
by dks1977 / October 18, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

I just used adwcleaner to get rid of delta search. It worked great. Just make sure you download it from a trusted site. The new version does let you pick and choose what to delete.

Collapse -
by stevie1980 / December 27, 2013 8:13 PM PST

this is for anyone who reads this old post.....adwcleaner is safe but if you want to download it the english version then look for adwcleaner by bleeping computers and not xplode, you will also have choice to untick what you want to keep ... unlike the xplode version.... also good free software you cud use with this is , malwarebytes anti malware/ malwarebytes anti rootkits/ they are safe no virus also a good bit of software to use to clean up crap and speed up your computer is .... glary utilities by glarysoft/ glary utilities is like CC cleaner but alot better ....

Collapse -
Quick correction
by Blue_Zee / December 27, 2013 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: adwceaner
Collapse -
Backing up Blue_Zee's .. 'Quick correction' ..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 29, 2013 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: adwceaner

You wrote:

'adwcleaner is safe but if you want to download it the english version then look for adwcleaner by bleeping computers and not xplode, you will also have choice to untick what you want to keep ... unlike the xplode version.....'

You may have an older version of AdwCleaner, if you're unable to un-check what you wish to keep. At the below link see where it states, "When the scan completes uncheck item(s) you don't want to remove, click the [Clean] button'

There is absolutely nothing wrong with downloading AdwCleaner from the developer's (Xplode) site.

The (English) download and (English) instructions for its use can be found here:

As an aside and also my personal opinion. I would not compare Glary Utilities with CCleaner. No less say it's the better of the two.

My ¢ ¢

Collapse -
AdwCleaner is very much worth it...
by NevadaJack / April 7, 2014 9:02 AM PDT

I had to make an account and post just because I liked Carols posts so much! She keeps coming back and offering good information on this product!. I work as a tech and began seeing many complaints related to Conduit products. While not a 'virus' Conduit toolbars and Search Protect software is invasive and sometimes, depending on what it is bundled with, very difficult to remove. (Sometimes though you can just click uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs list which is nice...)
Anyway, that is what turned me on to AdwCleaner as they were able to do what my normal standby product, Malwarebytes, was unable to do and clean out all traces of the offending software.
My only advice is to reinforce what many have already said and make sure you get your downloads from a reliable site and regardless of which site you use ALWAYS read every window of the installation cycle carefully and never choose Automatic or Default options when installing new software. This allows hidden 'gems' to get full permission without you being aware that they are even being installed. I even had this problem with ADWCleaner once when I was in ahurry and downloaded a "Pro" version on accident. It was bundled with several toolbars with no affiliation to Xplode or ADWCleaner.

Anyway, I highly recommend the program as a usefool tool in your arsenal of PC cleaning items.

Collapse -
Kudos to AdwCleaner
by N_Leroy / May 13, 2014 10:45 PM PDT

Just want to add a word of praise for Adwcleaner. I was finally successful at removing UpdateNowPro.com from my computer using Adwcleaner. I have found MalwareBytes to be a strong tool in the past but it wouldn't do the trick for UpdateNowPro. As part of a suggested protocol for removing the invasive software, I ran Adwcleaner and have not had any problem since. It did seem to remove a lot of files but I've not noticed any problems with something that might have gone missing. Glad to see other positive reports.

Collapse -
Good product but.......
by temp59 / September 28, 2014 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Kudos to AdwCleaner

.....it corrupted/disable one of my Chrome extensions - "New Tab Redirect". It was easy enough to re-install it, but still just a small warning.

Collapse -
That's a good thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 2:00 AM PDT

Frankly it's best to disable/remove all extensions when trouble hits. Then you recover, test and when ready add your extensions. However there are some computer owners that can't do that. I can't guess why.

Collapse -
Adwcleaner is excellent
by CrimsonOshun / October 15, 2014 3:55 AM PDT

I have used this program many times in the past, and it is one of the best tools in my kit! Some of the previews said it changes your homepage, this has never been my experience. I always download it from Bleeping Computer, and it does have options to uncheck items. Highly recommend

Collapse -
Adwear Cleaner is Safe
by Bonnie2015 / June 30, 2015 8:37 AM PDT

I used it yesterday after watching a youtube video by a software tech. He directed everyone to the Adwear Cleaner address in Google search. The site is sescure so I felt safe downloading it, although I was a bit leery at first. I used it after uninstalling MyPCBackup because I wasn't sure if it left anything behind with it.

Adwear Cleaner seemed to work great, but it left me not being able to access Google Chrome, so I had to reinstall it. Before you use it, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE BROWSER on your computer. Thankfully I'd added Opera before hand.

There is a fake Adwear Cleaner out there. Howtogeek.com has an article about it, so if you're not sure which one is real, read that article before you download any software.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2015 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Adwear Cleaner is Safe
Collapse -
Yes safe for download and a useful program.
by KarlsTechnology / July 1, 2015 4:34 PM PDT

ADW is a good cleaner when used with your anti virus/malware program. Personally I recommend Avira and Malwarebytes as they are both free and good anti viruses. If you wanted to use something else then Roguekiller is a powerful program that will detect any sort of virus in your computer.

(tagline removed)

Note: Moderator removed tagline.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.