Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

by slybo / January 12, 2005 7:16 PM PST

I did a Norton scan and it found Adware.Minibug. It deleted the file MiniBugTransporter.dll. Norton website says I need to delete some registry keys but I do not know how to work the registry. So I did a system restore to set the registry but it put the file back and I had to delete it again, so I deleted all the system restore points. I did not want to pick one futher back. I can take the computer to the guy I purchased it from but is it worth the trouble, I am not having any problems? How important is it to remove the registry lines HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWS\Weather and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWS\MINIBug. The Norton website also says to delete the value: Tray Temperature = %ProgramFiles%\AWS\WeatherBug\Install\Minibug.exe. I am not having any problems do I have to do this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adware.Minibug
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adware.Minibug
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Sly
by roddy32 / January 12, 2005 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: Adware.Minibug

If you are uncomfortable going into the registry and are not having any problems you can exclude this threat the next time that you do a scan. I read the Symantec article and it appears be be a pretty low risk item. I also use NAV and I remember when this was added to the defs in November. I also DO use Weatherbug but for some reason, I do not have those registry values and Norton does not detect it for that reason. You can do damage in the registry if you are unfamiliar and if this threat is not causing you a problem, IMO, I would probably exclude it if it were me but I would put print out the page from Symantec to show your computer guy if you decide to have him help you. That is just MY opinion.

Collapse -
by slybo / January 12, 2005 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Sly

I have printed out the Norton article on this. Norton also deleted the file MiniBugTransporter.dll. Doing another scan it comes up clean. I guess this is what you mean by exclude the threat? As I say if I do another scan it does not show up since this file was deleted. It was under C:Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug. My concern was leaving the registry keys there might cause a problem later on but from you response I assume you are saying that leaving them there is no big deal, is this correct? I am saying this under the assumption they are there, since I have not gone into the registry they may not be there as in your case. Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
All I am saying Sly
by roddy32 / January 12, 2005 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: MiniBugTransporter.dll

is that according to the Symantec article, its is not a big threat and IF you are not comfortable editing the registry (which I don't blame you, I don't like to do that either), then I would either have your computer guy fix it or you can exclude it on the next scan IF it shows up again. It MAY regenerate itself and it may not regenerate itself. IF and WHEN it does, once Norton finds it again, you can choose to exclude it at that time.

Collapse -
I understand
by slybo / January 12, 2005 9:03 PM PST
In reply to: All I am saying Sly

Thanks, now I understand what you are saying. I did not think about it coming back. I will just wait and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Sly.
by roddy32 / January 12, 2005 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: I understand
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.