Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Adware HBHelper

by jerrywh1 / December 31, 2010 1:10 AM PST

My computer is running "XP Home" with "AVG 11 anti virus," "ADware anti spyware," and "Zone alarm firewall." I was forwarded a file that has a threat called "Exploit Rouge Scanner (type 1652)." I found that a program called "Super Anti Spyware" is supposed to remove this. When I scanned my computer with this program I found a threat called "Adware HBHelper." Can you help me sort out which if any of these threats are real and is "Super Anti Spyware" a credible program? Can I advise my grandchild to get rid of the "Exploit Rouge Scanner threat?" As this process gets more complex, I'm wondering if I'm taking the correct approach, or if I even have a problem. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adware HBHelper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adware HBHelper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES, Super Anti-Spyware is ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 31, 2010 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Adware HBHelper

a credible utility and one we recommend often. Along with it we normally recommend that you also run Malwarebytes and often it pays to run them in Safe Mode.

"Exploit Rouge Scanner (type 1652)" is a known hijacker.

First, download and run RKILL - http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com DO NOT RE-BOOT after running it or the rogue processes it kills will restart!

Second, run MalwareBytes - http://en.kioskea.net/telecharger/telecharger-105-malwarebytes-anti-malware Reboot if Malwarebytes wants you to. If you do have to re-boot again run RKILL after the machine has completed re-booting.

Now run your Super Anti-Spyware and the problems should be taken care of. If not repeat the process in Safe Mode.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jerrywh1 / December 31, 2010 11:02 AM PST

I appreciate your help. Based on the fact that "Super Anti-Spyware" found stuff that AVG missed, I'm thinking about using it for my anti-virus protection. I've heard that running more than 1 anti-virus at a time can cause problems. Do you have an opinon about that?
Thanks,
Jerry

Collapse -
SUPERAntiSpyware is not an
by roddy32 / December 31, 2010 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

antivirus. It is antispyware. It will work fine with any of the antivirus programs. You need layers of protection anyway, There is NO program that will catch everything.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jerrywh1 / December 31, 2010 6:39 PM PST

I'm running "Adware" for spyware. Will that cause a problem with "Super Anti-Spyware." Thanks for the information.

Collapse -
They SHOULD but Ad-Aware sometimes
by roddy32 / December 31, 2010 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

does not play well with others. You can try them but if they conflict, I would use SUPER over Ad-Aware but this is just my own opinion. I stopped using Ad-Aware myself 3 or 4 years ago because there are better program IMO. I am assuming that you are not using the Ad-Aware with antivirus or it would conflict with AVG.

Collapse -
That Works for Me
by jerrywh1 / January 1, 2011 1:46 AM PST

Thanks for the advice. Bye-Bye Ad Aware.

Collapse -
Might as well add the free version of
by roddy32 / January 1, 2011 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: That Works for Me

MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) also. That works well with SUPER and what one doesn't pickup, the other probably will. Neither do viruses but you are already covered with that with your AVG.

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Collapse -
Did and Done
by jerrywh1 / January 1, 2011 4:46 AM PST

Thank You

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome :)
by roddy32 / January 1, 2011 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Did and Done
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.