Dell forum

Resolved Question

Advisability of installing all 15 drivers.

by The ancient one / December 20, 2012 10:26 PM PST

I don't have Dell recovery disc for my Inspiron 6000. I am in the process of replacing the 40GB hard drive with a 120GB hard drive and will need Dell drivers. On the Dell website support/drivers and downloads page this particular model with my service tag shows a total of 15 drivers: 1 is considered URGENT, 5 are considered RECOMMENDED, and 9 are considered OPTIONAL. Is there any reason that I should not download all 15 drivers? I am assuming that it won't effect the operation of the laptop if all 15 are installed. I am essentially starting from scratch with a new hard drive and will be loading a retail version of Win XP with sp2.

The ancient one has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advisability of installing all 15 drivers.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advisability of installing all 15 drivers.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by The ancient one

Collapse -
Re: drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 10:44 PM PST

Why not clone your current hard drive to the new drive? Then everything transfers: OS (with all Windows updates), programs, settings, your own data. Clonezilla, for example, is free and would do the job perfectly.

It's only an issue if the old drive is IDE and the new drive is SATA, or the other way around. But if that's the same a clone should work. Depending on the program you use to clone it's possible the new partition will be 40 GB also, so that you'll have to extend it to 120 GB. Any partition manager (GPARTED is free) will do.

Collapse -
Thanks, Kees
by The ancient one / December 21, 2012 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drivers

My plan is to have this computer be as "clean" as it can be with Windows XPSP3, some antivirus software, and little other software only that which I really need.
I am sure that cloning would be the simplest way to do things. I have not done it before, but I believe I could figure out how to do that.
Really, just wanted to know if putting in unnecessary drivers would create any problems.

Collapse -
by Willy / December 21, 2012 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Kees

While Dell may provide various drivers they *ALL* refer to what you actually present or installed in that model# PC. You need to know exactly what's what. Since this is a laptop it becomes harder. But, upon the XP reload, under the device manager it will point out what drivers aren't loaded or still need be. They will point to some XYZ device, note it down and get them. It's not going to hurt to all those Dell support website drivers shown, burnt to some disc to later refer to what prompted for drivers, they're either going to be accepted or shown as wrong ones.

One reason various drivers are present is that actual item could vary, like a modem card. It maybe ZZZ modem brand but you have XXX brand, so you get the idea they provide the full range as they did install on same model# at different times.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by The ancient one / December 21, 2012 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers...

I will keep that in mind. I have burned those that Dell said were either urgent or recommend on to one CD and the others that they list as optional onto another CD. If I end up needing any drivers, I will look to see if any of these will work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.