Phones forum

General discussion

Advice on USA cell phones that work in Japan.

by rfhubbard / July 22, 2008 6:21 AM PDT

I need advice on some good unlocked cell phones (GSM T-mobile) that cost less than $300 and that works here and there. My wife and I like to travel in Japan but our phones do not work. I know that some of the new 3G cell phones will work if it has the 2100 band. I'm asking for cell brands and models numbers. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on USA cell phones that work in Japan.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on USA cell phones that work in Japan.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
phone
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 22, 2008 8:59 AM PDT

At&t/Cingular 8525 (aka HTC TYTN) which was discontinued can still be purchased under $300.

Collapse -
UMTS 3g unavailable on softbank.
by emoslayer6224 / July 24, 2008 11:14 AM PDT

Japan's only GSM carrier is Softbank, which will provide you with EDGE data, but no 2100 3g. Any quadband phone will work there, but they do not have the 850 band, so don't try a US specific model, if you're doing things on the cheap with T mobile, I recommend any quadband Nokia, but if your budget is higher, I would recommend a blackberry with wifi if you want a guarantee of faster data than EDGE, there's certainly plenty of wifi hotspots in japan, and unless you live in New York city, then you're still surviving just fine on edge data regardless of weather you bought one of their UMTS phones or not. T mobile roaming should be cheap if not free in japan, as they have roaming agreements pretty much everywhere except for china.

Collapse -
The ATT Tilt 8925 should do the trick
by Pepe7 / July 28, 2008 6:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Phones that can be used in Japan
by bm2ng / August 11, 2008 7:09 AM PDT

These phones operate on the 2100 MHZ bandwith:

Samsung Blackjack II
Sony Ericson Z750a
Palm Treo
Apple 3G iPhone

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.