Phones

General discussion

Advice on selecting a smart phone please

by nyckeng / March 3, 2010 3:00 AM PST

Hey everyone, could use some help deciding on a smartphone.
I live in NYC and my contract with AT&T will be up in 10 days. I like the iPhone but hate AT&T, so have been considering the Nexus and a move to T-mobile. My one concern is that I tend to drop my phones. I would be super careful with these but it doesn't seem worth it to me to get a phone I would be afraid of using or handling all the time, and I have heard bad things about screens on both of these devices.
I'm not all that tech-savvy so I don't need the best phone, but would like the functionality of some of these more advanced ones like a widgets, apps, GPS, touch screen etc. I currently have a Palm Centro that I just use for phone and messaging, it's held up very well to my abuse but I think i'm ready to move on. Would appreciate any recommendations you may have from your own personal experiences with phones etc. Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on selecting a smart phone please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on selecting a smart phone please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No way around being accident prone ;(
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2010 6:24 AM PST

You could try using a basic soft shell case, but that can only protect from certain types of drops/damages. Really, if you know you will have to replace it in the short term the only plausible thing to do is to set aside replacement funds from the get-go. Phone insurance won't cover drops.

I'd pop over to the T-Mo site or visit a local shop and report back what you like. It's much easier to comment on specific models.

Collapse -
Yes, but..
by nyckeng / March 3, 2010 6:35 AM PST

I guess what I'm looking for is a studier or the STURDIEST smartphone. I've dropped my centro at least once a day for the 2 years I've had it and it's still running perfectly. I'm seriously considering the Palm Pre just because of the great experience I've had with this Palm product.

Collapse -
Different animal
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2010 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, but..

I don't think the Pre is nearly as sturdy, but you'll have to be the judge of that. The days of consistently being able to drop our phones are over with for the most part, save the exception of a very few rugged models limited to specific carriers. Anything with a touch screen is automatically fragile given the nature of how an LCD functions.

For smartphones I'd focus on first finding a carrier that works to maximize your reception and minimize your bills ;), along with the handset that agrees with your feature needs. The Pre has a significantly nicer UI, so you're off to a pretty good start. It's not a choice on T-Mobile unfortunately, if you wanted to stay w/ a GSM/UMTS carrier.

Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 3, 2010 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, but..

Remember that many smart phones have larger displays which are prone to damage if the phone is dropped. Apart from the soft side phone cases, there are much sturdier cases such as Otterbox.

As Pepe pointed out, insurance should be a must for you. Insurance typically allows 2 replacement devices in 12 months w/ a deductible ($50 or more per claim).

Collapse -
I am definitely getting insurance!
by nyckeng / March 3, 2010 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: suggestion

I'm pretty open to providers, but am focused on Tmobile (for their customer service) or Verizon for their coverage. I don't really want to go to Verizon since I'm so used to the freedom of a sim card, but I think I can live without that option if I get a phone I want and won't be switching around too much. I really like the active homescreen on the droids, which the pre lacks. But I like the keyboard on the pre, but it still doesn't have a landscape touch keyboard. Oh decisions! Are any of these bad choices? If not I think i'll just head to best buy and go with the one I like best right then and there...

Collapse -
There are no 'bad' choices per se
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2010 12:04 AM PST

Most people can certainly do just fine with most of these newer phones. It's often a matter of the 'bling' factor, and whether or not the one that suits your fancy is compatible with a particular carrier that offers adequate coverage. Nothing new in that regard anyway.

Collapse -
Your preference
by mmoreno0001 / March 10, 2010 11:46 PM PST

the best way to select the right smart phone for you, is you would base it on the gravity of the things that you would normally do with your phone. like for example email, blogging, chatting and etc..if you are doing all those stuff i suggest that you get a droid with bigger download and upload bandwidth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.