Computer Help forum

General discussion

Advice on reinstalling windows...

by byates04 / March 15, 2007 2:44 PM PDT

I am running Windows XP, with an Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.4ghz, and 768mb ram. I have two drives, a C:/ and a D:/

A few months, my windows XP home edition messed up somewhere and it my computer would not boot any longer. I tried to repair it and that failed as well. Since my computer has a second harddrive, D drive, I reinstalled windows on that disk. Now I basically have two drives, some programs running of the old C, some off the D, and just a really messy computer. The question I have is, would it be ok to move all the files I would like to keep onto my current D drive, and then format the C so it is clean, and then upgrade to Vista on my C, and then move everything back over to the C or is there something else I can do? Is there a way to get rid of the old windows OS that doesnt work anymore on the C drive, and use it as a storage only? I'm just really confused about what I can be to get my computer back together. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on reinstalling windows...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on reinstalling windows...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista.......Yikes!
by PC Catastrophe / March 16, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

I wouldn't go the Vista route, just a personal suggestion.

Collapse -
Do go to Vista!!!!
by jcrobso / March 16, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

Unless you upgrade to 1gb of ram, 2gb even better!!! Even then your processor will be on the slow side.
Moving data files is easy, programs not so easy. Did you reinstall all of your other software on the D drive when you installed XP on it? John

Collapse -
Hmm..Vista
by byates04 / March 17, 2007 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Do go to Vista!!!!

I have stuff like AIM and Ad-Aware, things that a easy to get but everything that I have purchased or that requires keys, they are mostly on the C...is that going to be a hassle? And is Vista's req. that big? I didn't realize I would need to upgrade my system.

Collapse -
reply to "advice reinstalling windows"
by brianthesnail123 / March 20, 2007 6:34 AM PDT

there is a simple solution to this ,the easiest being to install a second hard drive,but if you cant afford to do this just make sure you format both your c and d drives to a clean state
firstly you should allways use c drive as your system drive,this is were your defualt operating system is installed,in your case windows xp,as if you install xp into d drive and wish to install another os at a later date problems can arise
my recommendation is to install xp into c drive as per normal and leave the d drive for "vista" when you finally upgrade
however when you do finally install vista you should install it using a advanced installation and choose d drive as its target drive
this will then create a dual booted machine with vista taking over the job of "boot manager" so when you boot up you will be given a option screen to choose between vista and xp,with vista being the defualt os,however you can change this setting in control panel>system properties>advanced>start up and recovery
there are ways to delete current operating systems in these drives but this involves using the recovery console in xp,and info on this can be found at the microsoft knowledge base
a easy way to format these drives is to download a windows 98 start up disk and use the fdisk option,this gives you the option to delete and create partitions and to set partitions active,but in your case it would just a case of using the command format:c and format:d and formatting each drive
you can download a windows 98 start up disk from www.bootdisk.com ,but you can also use a millenuim start up disk if you wish
personally i would recommend you add a second drive,as this will make the task alot easier
if you wish to do a staright windows install windows will give you a option to delete all data during set up,this will delete the data in c drive but if you then wish to format d drive then you should be able to do this through computer management in administrive tools
i hope this has helped you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.