TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Advice needed on buying a switcher

by johncpatterson / December 27, 2005 7:48 AM PST

I have three questions:

1. It seems like out of all of the switchers I have read about, the pelican system selector pro is the best. But, there is a new 2.0 version which just came out or is coming out soon. So, should I hold out for the 2.0 version or spring for the old one? Also, is there a better switcher out there?

2. Is up-conversion truly necessary? I have an expensive HD LCD TV and am wondering whether I should get an a/v reciever to up-convert the signals, but the bad thing is I haven't seen an a/v receiver out there with more than 4 inputs. So, can someone explain why I would need to up-convert, what systems could benefit from it, and whether I should stick with a switcher or go to an a/v receiver?

3. If I connect both composite and component cables to a switcher, will one component output cable be able to carry both signals to the TV?

Thanks a lot,
- John

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice needed on buying a switcher
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice needed on buying a switcher
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
pelican system selector pro
by jcrobso / December 28, 2005 6:05 AM PST

The specs on the web site are rather vauge..
It says it has two outputs but dosen't say what kind they are, S-video, compnent, composit? Most of the products seem to be for gaming consols.
What kind of inputs do you wnat to switch??
Q#2. No all HDTVs good a good job upscalling video.

Collapse -
Switchers/scalers
by sirroundsound / December 28, 2005 11:28 PM PST

A switcher can be as simple as a box that lets you choose an audio video device and send that signal out to a TV or receiver. They can also be as complex as a Matrix switcher which will allow many inputs be output to many displays.
Switchers that have scalers are popular as we now have HDTV signals mixing with the old NTSC.
A few conciderations when choosing a switcher/scaler.
Output resolutions, most will have a variety of outputs, make sure it has one that matches your TV's native resolution.
Input and output connections. Make sure it has enough of the right type of inputs for the devices you want to connect to it (and maybe even an extra one or two for future gear)plus the right connections to output to your TV.
Some switchers will look after only video signals, others do both audio and video. If you are using a good quailty AV receiver, you may want to get one that deals only with video, and let your surround system do what it does best, audio.
I am not familiar with the brand you mention, but some others out there are from companies like DVDO, Kramer, Key Digital. A google search of these might offer some other alternatives or more insight.

Collapse -
KEEP IT SIMPLE
by stewart norrie / December 29, 2005 8:29 AM PST

I run all my vidio right to my hi-def t.v. less cables and problems, And since I only have one d.v.i. input on the t.v. I run my my denon d.v.d player and hi-def sat system thru a Gifin switcher and the picture on both is stunning. also I bought a DENON 3805 amp that does not have componit vidio switching and saved $200 happy new year stewart norrie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.