How To forum

Question

advice needed for 5.1 speakers setup

by poupirz / December 26, 2012 9:55 AM PST

Hi everyone, I have a LG DVD recorder model HR902, Sony bluray BDP S480 and a Sony TV. I've tried to have surround sound via lg home cinema speakers but I couldn't.
Lg has one HDMI output, one optical output and one surround output for subwoofer.
Sony Bluray has just outputs.
TV also has optical in, HDMI, Coaxial, scart. I use've connected my iMac through HDMI to TV and took the sound from TV to home cinema via optical cable but still can't experience surround sound!
I appriciate if someone can help me as I struggle with it for about a year now.
Many thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: advice needed for 5.1 speakers setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: advice needed for 5.1 speakers setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sound from the TV shall be stereo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 10:22 AM PST

The industry has some rules (see HDCP) and since the TV has speakers to make sound, any pass through is stereo with an exception for over the air (Antenna input) content.

You can see why you can't solve this by using the TV's audio output now.

This is not that it isn't possible but the industry in its over zealous protection of HD content made this rule and you are only in need of knowing about it so you stop trying to get something working that will not.
Bob

Collapse -
Keep in mind I didn't create this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 12:09 PM PST

But I'm able to explain it further for those that need to know more.

Collapse -
Answer
5.1 speaker setup.
by appreciative viewer / December 27, 2012 11:13 AM PST

From your description, it sounds like you need an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) in your system. You can buy an inexpensive DVR, I use Denon for my system, with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs and at least 1 HDMI output. The more HDMI inputs you have the better off you are. Plug your sony bluray, LG DVD recorder, etc. into your receiver. You then plug an HDMI output on the receiver into the HDMI input on the Sony TV. Your AVR
will control the sound and will upgrade all signals that need it to HD content on your TV. It will do the trick. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.