Computer Newbies

General discussion

advertisements keep popping up even with protection!

by Mr.stephonx / October 18, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

hello, i am a noob in computer and i wish to learn more about how to use and protect my computer properly.

i currently have a problem with the pop-up advertisements. i own a windows 2000 version and i use a high-speed internet modem. recently i keep getting popups, and sometimes programs that "screws up" computer by shutting down all my running programs and hogging my cpu memory. i use AVG(anti-virus)and spybot(ad-killer) that are constantly updated. but the advertisements never seems to stop even though that i have detected and deleted the ad softwares and trojans that are in my computer. can someone plz explain to me why and tell me a way to solve this problem?

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: advertisements keep popping up even with protection!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: advertisements keep popping up even with protection!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things To Use...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 10:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
And Why
by JonathanCase / October 19, 2006 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Things To Use...

One antispy/antivirus won't catch or cure everything your pc can catch. Grif's recommended two more applications, both a good idea. Make sure your internet settings are optimised for security also, particularly in the "restricted sites" zone.
Another on-demand anti-trojan scanner that detects a lot of spyware also is A squared. Frequent updates, good detection rate, good "kill" rate. Personally I prefer Avast antivirus over AVG, but there's not much between them. You can also immunise your computer somewhat with SpywareBlaster (and Guard) from Javacool, and Winpatrol (BillP studios).
Read lots of software reviews on applications before installing them. Especially if you've never heard of them b4. There are heaps of good freebies available. Amazing, really.

Collapse -
Seamonkey for POPUP protection
by bently / October 20, 2006 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: And Why
Collapse -
Its always better..
by Kornilych / October 25, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

use more than one anti-spyware program. Its always better to use real time pop up blocker like spysweeper and microsoft windows defender that will help you getting away from those annoying pop ups.

Collapse -
Go FireFox
by guitarmondo / October 26, 2006 10:51 PM PDT

I had a similar problem and I switched browsers. If you are using Internet Explorer, that is probably where the problem is. I had to reload my OS (XP professional) making sure my internet modem was off. Then I downloaded firefox and installed it. Next AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware. Make sure Firefox is your default browser and don't let any programs change that. I did this last March and regularly run full scans with all three of the software packages and I am still clear of popups.

Collapse -
Your system is possibly still infected!
by NM Glider Pilot / October 27, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

You most likely still having something on your computer that is causing the popups! Go to www.ewido.net and download the new EWIDO scanner (free version) and run that. I'll bet it will find some ''critters'' on your computer, get rid of them, stopping the popups!

By the way, using just one anti-spy/malware product IS NOT ENOUGH! While Adaware and Spybot are great, you need more help to keep this garbage off your system. I use Ewido, but I also scan with both AdAware and Spybot to make sure nothing gets missed. Keeps my system clean and working great. I also own an IT company that cleans up other folks machines and do the same for them.

IMHO, keep using Internet Explorer. While Firefox is neat, IE works on all sites. You just have to make sure your system is protected while doing so! Happy
Regards,
Howard

Collapse -
Ewido
by rstar1 / October 27, 2006 3:51 AM PDT

Ewido has been merged with AVG and Ewido 4.0 is now AVG 7.5 FYI

Collapse -
virus protection and pop-up software
by abilone71 / October 27, 2006 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Ewido

I just purchased a new computer. It was installed with eTrust Pest Control and eTrust Internet Security Suite. Also the e-mail has a folder that I can go to and either read or delete without opening each.
So far I have had no problems. I used to have Norton Virus Protector and Spybot, but Spybot usually only picked up cookies. Are any persons using this protection and if so, what are your comments.
Abilone71

Collapse -
Disable windows messenger
by Scanjo / October 27, 2006 7:26 AM PDT

Windows messenger can also be the source of your popups. This is the messenger SERVICE built into Windows, NOT MSN Messenger.

Make sure you're logged on with an administrator account, Go to START then RUN and type in "services.msc" without the quotes. Scroll down the list on the right to MESSENGER and check the startup type column. If it says disabled then disregard this post as it's not an issue for you. If it says AUTOMATIC then you need to disable it. Right-click on MESSENGER and select properties. In the startup type drop down window select DISABLED. Click on the APPLY button. Click stop now, or changes take effect on reboot.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 and install Lavasoft Ad-Aware
by Ryo Hazuki / October 27, 2006 8:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
re: advertisements keep popping up even with protection!
by pcrx_greg / October 28, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

It might be best to format your hard drive and start from scratch. Since you are using Windows 2000, you may have a rootkit installed which are almost impossible to remove from your hard drive. If you have the install disks, you should back up any important data and start from scratch. If you go this route, install antivirus and antispyware programs before going anywhere else on the internet. Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Defender are not available for Windows 2000, so you will have to rely on free third party products like AVG and Spybot. Or you can purchase an Internet Security Suite from any number of software vendors.

Collapse -
Re: Popup protection
by smile_liley / October 29, 2006 10:36 AM PST

I used to have the same problem on my computer. Like you, I tried many different programs, but still had popups. This continued until my partition became corrupt. When this happened, I almost decided to abandon Windows and start using SUSE Linux or maybe getting a Macintosh, since popups or viruses rarely occur on those platforms.

Fortunately, I saw Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 in a software store. The package said that there are significant security improvements including a firewall. I decided to give Windows XP SP2 a try. I also started using Avast for antivirus protection. I have not had any popups or sypyware problems in the 6 months I have used Windows XP SP2. Although Windows XP is not cheap, it is a worthwhile investment. This is especially true if you consider the cost of downtime. Avast is a free program. You can download it from http://www.avast.com

Another thing you should consider is getting a broadband router. Many of these routers have built-in firewalls for protection against outside attacks. If possible, block the UDP protocol. It is also possible to activate web filtering. Some firewall settings allow specified web site URLs to be blocked. If you are aware of what sites send spyware, you can enter their URL in the list of sites to block.

My final suggestion is to disable file and printer sharing in Windows. Also, all user accounts on your computer should have an assigned password. The above suggestions should make your computing life much better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.